Old vs young

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Hi, Joseph, please don’t knock the MAS 36. It saved my life in Algeria. Nothing wrong with a weapon that spits out bullets fromthe front end, when you are in a fire fight.

Not fancy looking, I know, but it worked fine for me.

CF001437-B1E6-4B7F-81B7-0055D497CE47.jpeg

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Ratings
815 3 3
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi, Joseph, please don’t knock the MAS 36. It saved my life in Algeria. Nothing wrong with a weapon that spits out bullets fromthe front end, when you are in a fire fight.

Not fancy looking, I know, but it worked fine for me.

View attachment 3604
I don't mean to change the subject, but have you seen the film 'the 12th man'? it is a must. True story. It takes place in Norway in 1943. English subtitles.

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Joe, I basically know that story, but will watch the movie with interest.

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Mas 36 looks like a recycled cricket bat and just as dangerous
Oh well, you have never been in a battle then. In my first battle I was armed with a MAS 36 only. Pushed back a few charges by the fellagha and walked out of the battle without a scratch. A few fells laid scatterend around the ground, though.

SnafuSmite

Ratings
264 2
Home Country
South Africa
Oh well, you have never been in a battle then. In my first battle I was armed with a MAS 36 only. Pushed back a few charges by the fellagha and walked out of the battle without a scratch. A few fells laid scatterend around the ground, though.
When did they start giving you the MAS 49?

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
I think around 1957/58 because I was classified as a sharp shooter and was given a MAS 49 as the only one in thecompany at about the end of 1957. 906B6E3E-0881-483E-9E0D-6622E4211326.jpeg

Ratings
Home Country
United Kingdom
Some of us including Joseph Cosgrove have been at the sharp end and experienced the whiff of grape shot.

We prefer not to make a song and dance about it. I do however plead guilty to sending part of my service records to an Aspirant who I highly regard.

Finally Volt ( Senior member and occasional Mod) also served in Algeria

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Chas, your message is a bit cryptic. Is it addressed at me? And if so, what exactly are you tryingto say?

jonny

Legionnaire
Ratings
201 3
Home Country
Norway
Snafu, from best of my memory, the MAS 49 was issued with magazines only, while the MAS 36, of course, had only stripper clips at 5 bullets each.

SnafuSmite

Ratings
264 2
Home Country
South Africa
Thank you for the responses! I see the magazine catch is on the magazine itself! Trust the French to make something completely different. I watched a historian on YouTube blabber on about the MAS 49 and MAS 36 and am very intriuged with them, especially how the bolt handle on the MAS 36 faces away from the shooter.

Ratings
Home Country
Norway
I don't mean to change the subject, but have you seen the film 'the 12th man'? it is a must. True story. It takes place in Norway in 1943. English subtitles.
I watched it at cinema. It was a cool action movie, but far away from what really happened. Even tough the real story is amazing, the movie was a more like an Hollywood movie. What really makes me angry is that the director in the start of the movie said "the most sensational thing in this movie happened for real in Jan Baalsruds escape". A lot of the movie is a fake from the real story, so its sad they claim its real.

About it, since we talk about the topic of false history..

Im writing my bachelors degree right now, where my issue is "how has the French Foreign Legion been illustrated in Norwegian litterature since 1945 - and can these illustrations have made a wrong impression of the Legion in the Norwegian society?"

Very interesting topic, and many books has been written by people who claim to have served in the legion, but really has not. These books often show a quite extreme view of the legion, compared to real legionnaires stories. (Well, thats not a surprise actually, considering all the mythos..)

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Ratings
99 2
Home Country
Canada
Thanks, that was a very accurate statement in the youtube video about the reliability of the MAS 36.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Ratings
Home Country
United States
GuidoLovarini,

I am greatly disquieted about the lack of Greens. The Dreamers however, are very necessary for this forum to survive especially since some Dreamers turn to reality and attempt selection. Even enthusiastic dreaming is good as long as posts are sensible. But I believe there will always now be a paucity of Greens since they have moved on in life.

I enjoy this forum with some mature Green input and some of the friendly joshing from others. A month or so ago I was going to discontinue association. However I have decided to give it a second chance which will make you all groan in dismay !lol
I am glad you are still around Charles. Hope all is well my friend.

Most viewed threads of the week