a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

On the Streets of France?

Reaction score
Home Country
Philippine
Say you are given inapte temporaire and are told to return in 3 months, is staying in the streets or rural areas of France for 3 months a viable option? Overstaying until the 3 months are done and returning to the gates of Fort de Nogent or the FFL base in Aubagne?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Yes, it's possible, but avoid the police. In small village areas, you will get noticed while in bigger cities you get absorbed in the crowd and you can be fed by the Red Cross and other charities.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Would just need to be able to keep up your training and keep yourself healthy. Probably best to return home i would say man.

Last edited:

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
No need to doss , you can work , eat , sleep and learn French https://www.helpx.net/hostlist.asp?host_region=328&network=3

You may turn into a Hippy though :)

Could prove very useful to some that have never heard of this type of thing. Imsure a member in the past (possible american) done a similar thing before joing and imsure he made it through to become a legionnaire. But this could be helpful to those who cant afford/dont want to travel back home.

Also just to take in consideration you may get told to come back in 3 months/6 months/ 12 months or 18 months considering.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Could prove very useful to some that have never heard of this type of thing. Imsure a member in the past (possible american) done a similar thing before joing and imsure he made it through to become a legionnaire. But this could be helpful to those who cant afford/dont want to travel back home.

Also just to take in consideration you may get told to come back in 3 months/6 months/ 12 months or 18 months considering.
It would give you a chance to keep/get fit and learn French , I`d hope it would show dedication when applying for the Legion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
My opinion is that you FIRST go to your Consulate or Embassy and outline your intentions.
When your situation and options have been outlined to you THEN start making something of yourself.
You have a lot of forks in the road ahead of you so stay healthy and make the right choices.
If you get stupid you may not be around in 3 months.

Also, if this is a workable situation, stay in the vicinity of a recruitment centre where you can go every week and be there first thing in the morning..never mind the 3 months. BUT make sure you have fixed whatever inaptitude you have first. Bringing some coffee and/or pastry might be a nice touch after being rejected 7 or 8 times. Let whoever it is know you are serious and relentless...both good qualities..so keep knocking at that door and keep learning and improving yourself every week. The recruitment cadre will start looking forward to seeing you.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good to see my forum friend jwaltos contributing. I hope he posts more often with his good input. Now 8 Greens so we are plus one. Hopefully onwards and upwards.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I know that planning ahead is always a good idea. However, planning to get a three month absence before even buying your plane ticket? Well I don't know. I kind of think that that is a negative attitude right from the start. I mean have you had your teeth seen to? Have you got any infections (such as a bad throat :ROFLMAO:)? No ! So where is the problem ?

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Main point not mentioned so far is the duration of the visa (if you get one). Living on the street is not easy (especially in winter in France and even more for somebody coming from a ‘hot’ country), but living on the street, speaking little to no French, without papers, would be a real challenge.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It's the Monsoon season here at the moment (keeps the local tossers at home)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Main point not mentioned so far is the duration of the visa (if you get one). Living on the street is not easy (especially in winter in France and even more for somebody coming from a ‘hot’ country), but living on the street, speaking little to no French, without papers, would be a real challenge.
Maybe he'll meet a cute French chick...:) food & plenty of sexercise.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

Yes it was American. Don't remember was he rejected and used that as B plan?
Anyway it's a good deal especially for those who are told to come back in few months and they aren't living in Schengen area.

jwaltos good to see you again.

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hi Chas. I really don't like coming to this forum anymore. As an analogy, it's like opening a glossy magazine looking for the table of contents to find where and what the articles are and instead you wade through pages of advertisements and waste (ie WIRED). This site is like entering a pen for livestock where you are shunted from here to there in an opaque manner rather than an open arena where you can clearly see where you want to go and what you can do. This is not a reflection on the work of the moderators or the content of the contributors but rather on the layout of the site...this is not a simple place to be.

Regarding the thread, you can ‘survive’ as a parasite with your hand outstretched, you can ‘survive’ doing illegal things but you won't survive in isolation because you will need people. Your first question should be “what are you worth to anyone?” and second “is this path worth it?” for you. I'm being nice here.. look at my smile. Integrity is not a luxury so keep your self-respect whatever you choose so that when you look back at the choices you made you won't be ashamed...they may not be the best and you may regret some but keep your nose and conscience clean.

Assuming you do get in... don't give up a ‘live’ passport or travel papers. Have a plan in action to have these documents replaced and accessible to you at some future point in time. Next, save at least half of everything you earn. Next, learn how to play cards well.. cigarettes are (almost) as good as money. Times have changed since I was there but I recall it being akin to a prison environment where being smart, strong (mentally and physically) and being supportive of your group will work in your favour. If you need to do anything, do it without witnesses, leave your mark and never talk about it. Ever. Just make sure that you are a light sleeper in case you need to welcome some late night visitors to your cot..so like the Scout's motto "Be Prepared."

Last edited:

mammikoura

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Finland
Staying on the streets... well it's possible but I wouldn't say it's a viable option. There are plenty of websites similar to the one Surfguy posted. People offer accomodation and food in exchange for work... pretty simple. And there is couchsurfing etc.

Be prepared, that way you have other options than the street.