Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
On this day 6th April 1917 the US enters WW1
Why did it take them so long? I found a short video which explains why and more importantly why they entered :

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
On this day, 25 years ago, (April 7th, 1994) the genocide in Rwanda began, one day after the plane of Pdt Habyarimana, flying back from Tanzania, was shot down by a SA16 missile minutes before landing at Kigali airport. In two months an estimated total of 800,000 people were killed. In June France launched “Opération Turquoise”.

OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
22 April 1961
Generals Maurice Challe, Edmond Jouhaud, Marie André Zeller and Raoul Salan launch a putsch in Algiers.
April 22Generals Maurice Challe, Edmond Jouhaud, Marie André Zeller and Raoul Salan launch a putsch in Algiers.
0300 – The 1er REP, acting on orders from acting Commanding Officer Hélie Denoix de Saint-Marc, seizes strategic locations in Algiers in a bloodless coup.
1915 – General Challe declares over the radio, “I am in Algiers with Generals Zeller and Jouhaud and in communication with General Salan to uphold our oath, the oath of the Army, to keep Algeria so that our dead will not have died for nothing. A Government of abandonment ...is today on the verge of definitively delivering Algeria to the external organization of the rebellion. ... Would you want Mers El-Kébir and Algiers to be Soviet bases tomarrow?...The Army will not fail in its mission and the orders that I would give you will never have any other goal.”
April 23President de Gaulle delivers a televised address to the Army and the conscripts ordering them to disobey the orders of the putschists and to sabotage their arms.
https://www.marxists.org/history/algeria/1961-1962.htm

This is one of the songs that the officers who were under fort arrest in Fort de Nogent sang :

No, nothing at all, no I do not regret anything.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
It's true. It was at the chalet de ski (called, “le Yeti”) at Les Rousses, in marge of the Évian peace talks that France and Algeria came to an agreement. Évian was just for the show. Where’s the Rapace when we need him?
Btw, did a stage Commando (course) at Les Rousses (in the Jura département, Region Franche Comté ) an was run by the 23e R.I.
In 96 when Chirac professionalised l' Armée Française, 23e R.I. was put to sleep
Today, the Fort des Rousses now holds / contains a cheese bank (le Comté, AOC).
The obstacle course was reputated as having the highest drain pipe (gouttière) to climb, of all the commando training centres in Metropolitan France.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
I was there at the time. The 2e REP missed the initial revolt by the 1er REP, because we were in the other side of the country. Also, our commander in chief, Lt Col Darmuzai decided against the putch. Most other officers, NCOs and everybody else in the regiment said: go, go go, Let’s jump in Paris, that will be fun, go, go, go.

But, unfortunately, it all fizzed out. I was at the airport in Phillippeville, all kitted out to jump in Paris myself. But it never happened. That’s one memory of the Legion that still makes my shoulder sag a bit.

We just occupied the airport in Algiers for a while, then they said the putch is over, and we drove a shames road back to Phillippeville. Why shames? We felt that we had let the Pieds-Noirs down.

Then all our officers dissappeared and we got new ones that never had heard a shot fired in anger. When I was awarded my third Croix de la Valeur Militaire, one brown nosed lieutenant asked if it was my first one. I didn’t answer, considering it below my dignity.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
It's true
It was at the chalet de ski (called, 'le Yeti') at Les Rousses, in marge of the Evian peace talks that France and Algeria came to an agreement. ..Evian was just for the show
Whaurs the Rapace when we need him?
Btw, did a stage Commando (course) at Les Rousses (it's in the Jura département, Région Franche Comté ) an was encadré by the 23 R.I.
In 96 when Chirac professionalised l' Armée Françaises, 23 R.I. was put to sleep
Today, le Fort de Rousses now holds / contains a cheese bank (le Comté, À. Ô. C.)
It was reputated, (the Commando stage, as having the highest drain pipe (gouttiere) to climb, of all the stage Commando's in France Metropole
Non, merde, non. It was a betrayal of all the European settlers in Algeria, not just the French. Hence the following unsuccessful putch by the French army in Algeria.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
But the peace talks at Évian Swiss side were conducted at the Yeti chalet in France (just finished watching the docu on Public Sénat French TV channel] for the nth time.
The Pieds-Noirs weren't all of French descent, but also from Spanish, Greek, Italian, Maltese origin.
They had their come uppence waiting
USA preasure on De Gaule and France (Suez was perlude). French public opinion too.
The putsch was no more than a French Catholic senior officers' caprice who couldn't take “No” for an answer, like babies who throw their rattle out of their pram when mother decides to clean their shitty ar$e.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
(...) This is one of the songs that the officers who were under fort arrest in Fort de Nogent sang :

No nothing at all, no I do not regret anything.

Thank you, little sparrow.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
A sparrow is a spuggie in Scot and a piaf in French slang. Just ask...

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
(...)The putsch was no more than a French Catholic senior officers' caprice who couldn't take “No” for an answer, like babies who throw their rattle out of their pram when mother decides to clean their shitty ar$e.
Oh poor igmoramous who was never in Algeria at the time to start with. We, the French army, and the Legion in particular, saw ourselves as protectors of the European settlers in Algeria. The French government under De Gaulle decided to throw them to their fate under persistant terrorist attacks by the FLN. To them it was “la valise ou le cercueil” (either the suitcase or the coffin). We, the soldiers wanted nothing more than to protect them, with government support.

Your comments about babies throwing rattlers out is not just totally ignorant about historical facts, but also totally degrading of the French Foreign Legion.

I propose to the monitors that this poster ‘petit caporal’ is barred from this legion forum for life.

Bags

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
THIS DAY IN HISTORY

April 22 1945
Hitler admits defeat

On this day in 1945, Adolf Hitler, learning from one of his generals that no German defense was offered to the Russian assault at Eberswalde, admits to all in his underground bunker that the war is lost and that suicide is his only recourse. Almost as confirmation of Hitler’s assessment, a Soviet mechanized corps reaches Treuenbrietzen, 40 miles southwest of Berlin, liberates a POW camp and releases, among others, Norwegian Commander in Chief Otto Ruge.

OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
THIS DAY IN HISTORY

April 22 1945
Hitler admits defeat

On this day in 1945, Adolf Hitler, learning from one of his generals that no German defense was offered to the Russian assault at Eberswalde, admits to all in his underground bunker that the war is lost and that suicide is his only recourse. Almost as confirmation of Hitler’s assessment, a Soviet mechanized corps reaches Treuenbrietzen, 40 miles southwest of Berlin, liberates a POW camp and releases, among others, Norwegian Commander in Chief Otto Ruge.
Thanks for breaking the tension Bags.
When we were in the “3e Reich” (3e REI), the Brits used to celebrate the Queen's birthday and the Germans Adolf's death. All this done with tables pushed together in the middle of the foyer.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Same in the 2e REI (at times)... Then the recruitment of Germans and Brits dropped low, the “Popoff” took over.

Most viewed threads of the week