On this day

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
25 August 1944,
Pairs Liberated.

The 2nd Armored Division ran into heavy German artillery, taking heavy casualties, but on August 24 managed to cross the Seine and reach the Paris suburbs. There, they were greeted by enthusiastic civilians who besieged them with flowers, kisses, and wine. Later that day, Leclerc learned that the 4th Infantry Division was poised to beat him into Paris proper, and he ordered his exhausted men forward in a final burst of energy. Just before midnight on August 24, the 2nd Armored Division reached the Hótel de Ville in the heart of Paris.

German resistance melted away during the night. Most of the 20,000 troops surrendered or fled, and those that fought were quickly overcome. On the morning of August 25, the 2nd Armored Division swept clear the western half of Paris while the 4th Infantry Division cleared the eastern part. Paris was liberated.

In the early afternoon, Choltitz was arrested in his headquarters by French troops. Shortly after, he signed a document formally surrendering Paris to de Gaulle’s provincial government. De Gaulle himself arrived in the city later that afternoon. On August 26, de Gaulle and Leclerc led a triumphant liberation march down the Champs d’Elysees. Scattered gunfire from a rooftop disrupted the parade, but the identity of the snipers was not determined.

" Paris outraged, Paris broken, Paris Martyred... but Paris liberated" Charles de Gualle

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Dusa, believe me the Kiwis have been in a lot of wars, including vietnam.
New Zealand provided personnel for service in the Royal Air Force (RAF) and in the Royal Navy and was prepared to have New Zealanders serving under British command. Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) pilots, many trained in the Empire Air Training Scheme, were sent to Europe. But unlike the other Dominions, New Zealand did not insist on its aircrews serving with RNZAF squadrons, so speeding up the rate at which they entered service. And the Long Range Desert Group was formed in North Africa in 1940 with New Zealand and Rhodesian as well as British volunteers, but included no Australians for the same reason.

The New Zealand government placed the New Zealand Division of the Royal Navy at the Admiralty's disposal and made available to the RAF 30 new Wellington medium bombers waiting in the United Kingdom for shipping to New Zealand. The New Zealand Army contributed the 2nd New Zealand Expeditionary Force (2NZEF).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
On this day 4th of September 1982 bcomes a top 40 hit for Frank and Moon hit Zappa ! :love:

Acually I don't give a crap about that. What I did miss was that on 31 August I, me, became a MOD a year ago. :eek:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
11 Sept 2001
Can you remember where you were when the news was announced? I was on day off from working as a night guard in Marseilles. I'd watched the news in the Morning, gone to the park with my book. Came back and watched the 13:00 news,
When I put on the tele again in the afternoon to watch LCI (French News channel) They had just announced that another plane had crashed into the pentagon. I thought ANOTHER...?

I remember coming home from school, my grandmother was glued to Sky News, that was just before the 2nd tower got it, I will never forget seeing that plane fly into the 2nd tower and the gasps of my mother and grandmother.....

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
I've recounted this before but as it's quite quiet on the forum at the moment...
A Caporal chef finishes his seventeen and a half years. He loves the legion and he loves France. However he wants a complete change and decides to hang up his épaulettes and head home to England. In the museum at Aubange while he is waiting for the general he makes a promise to himself: he is going to obey the rules from now on.

He'd disobeyed the rules before joining the legion. He'd been in jail in the legion, heck he'd even been banned from cervens for two weeks. But then and there in the musée de la légion he swore was going to obey the rules.

He gets back to England and goes for a pint in the pub, he then changes his mind and only has a half. He get's in his car and is driving home. He comes to a cross roads and sees the light has changed from green to yellow. If he puts his foot down he will make it as it's only just turning red. He remembers his promise no more breaking the rules.

Out of his back view mirror he see a bunch of rag heads shouting and jeering at pedestrians. Some of the rag heads are even drawing their thumbs across their throats. the pickup speeds around the newly retired legionnaire's car. As they overtake him he sees a sign on the back saying "remember 9/11. A split second later the pickup is hit with full force by a six wheeler truck. It's a carnage. The legionnaire sits there and says to himself that could have been me!

The next day he applies for a truck driver's job.

If I'm not mistaken Scouse Arley is a HGV driver.

Go get'em Poster boy.

Knew one Brit (the one who dived from the ship in the Suez canal on the way back from the first gulf war)
Before joining the Legion
He ran a Pakistanais over and the man died
Went to court and obtained the benifit of doubt
Later, while driving with his girl and their baby. ..he spots 2 pakistanais crossing the road and. ...killed 1
Joined the Legion but can never go back to the UK, if he is wise

Knew one Brit (the one who dived from the ship in the Suez canal on the way back from the first gulf war)
Before joining the Legion
He ran a Pakistanais over and the man died
Went to court and obtained the benifit of doubt
Later, while driving with his girl and their baby. ..he spots 2 pakistanais crossing the road and. ...killed 1
Joined the Legion but can never go back to the UK, if he is wise
Dave Mason.
What was the name of the big Tahitian in your section? He went to the PMs later.
what is the Pms? I think the Uniform looked better then. All Green. We had some guys from Fiji join US. Good lads.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
what is the Pms? I think the Uniform looked better then. All Green. We had some guys from Fiji join US. Good lads.
Sorry mate, MPs Military Police. In Djibouti you had the biggest and dumb/tough -est and also the cross country team and those that were from the REP. The ones from the REP were there because they would drop food and water supplies by air and so had to have a parachute on. they got jump pay for it. The cross country team so that they could train and the big dumb tough ones, well I'll let you work that out.

Sorry mate, MPs Military Police. In Djibouti you had the biggest and dumb/tough -est and also the cross country team and those that were from the REP. The ones from the REP were there because they would drop food and water supplies by air and so had to have a parachute on. they got jump pay for it. The cross country team so that they could train and the big dumb tough ones, well I'll let you work that out.
Gotcha....lol.

All green or all olive?
In 81, François Mitterand imposed
à certain amounted of rules and regulations. ...no singing, "boulonge', songs ( witch we ingorzd )
Combats. ..tenue 300
Was remplaced by the tenue F1
Non camofoulage = less agressivite = more traffic in thé majority ghettos, majorité Arab!.
De Gaule was a fud. ...
Soon to be remplaced by Ronnie Reagan and Magari Thatcher

Waiting for Rapace to çontre ma declarion

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
On this day 13 September 1814 'Old Glory' is put to music.

Event Date:
September 13, 1814

An attack on an American fort on this day gave birth to the country's national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner.

Ironically, since the United States was at war with Britain at the time in what became known as the War of Independence, the tune was the work of a British composer, the little known John Stafford Smith.

In 1814, Baltimore was not only America's third largest city (population 45,000), but also a port from where repeated attacks had been made against British ships.

Determined to teach them a lesson, British warships planned to sail into Baltimore harbour and attack the city with cannons, pounding it into submission. First, though, they needed to neutralise a fortress named Fort McHenry which protected the harbour entrance.

At 6.30 on the morning of 13 September the attack began and during the next 24 hours about 2,000 shells and 800 rockets were fired at the fortress.

Above it flew a giant American flag measuring 42 feet by 30 feet.

Watching the action from a distance was American lawyer, author, and amateur poet Francis Scott Key. When he saw that the huge flag was still flying at dawn the next day, signifying an American victory, he was inspired to write the poem, Defence of Fort McHenry.

Later, the words were set to John Stafford Smith's music, and renamed The Star Spangled Banner. It became a popular patriotic song.

Long thought to have originated as a drinking song, it was adopted in 1776 as a club anthem of the Anacreontic Society, an amateur mens’ music club in London. Its original lyrics were written by the Society’s president as an ode to a Greek poet named Anacreon.

With the substitution of Key's lyrics, the work became very popular in America and a powerful expression of patriotism. In 1916 it was proclaimed by President Woodrow Wilson to be the national anthem of all the armed forces. Finally, in 1931, under an Act of Congress, it became America's national anthem.

Most viewed threads of the week