a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Congratulations to the magnificent USMC on their anniversary.(y)

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.;););)

Our cousins across the pond are the best of America.(y)

Semper Fidelis/ Per Mare per Terram.:)
Thank you Chas! Semper Fidelis you old Sea Dog, I have a toast. Here's to you and to your health, you are a Marine and you were trained by WW2 Commandos, you are forever in a long line of Marines and I salute you. I am grateful for all you have shared and again, a toast to all Marines, Semper Fidelis Brother.

If I were still a drinking man, I'd be drunk as a skunk today
Happy Birthday Marine

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Kristallnacht, (German for “Crystal Night”), also called Night of Broken Glass or November Pogroms, the night of November 9–10, 1938, when German Nazis attacked Jewish persons and properties. The name Kristallnacht refers ironically to the litter of broken glass left in the streets after these pogroms.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
In three quarters of an hour it will be 11 o'clock on the 11th of November 2018.

Alan Seeger, American poet killed on July 1st, 1916 at Belloy-en-Santerre (northern France) during the First World War, while serving in the Legion.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
On this day Poland becomes independent, after 123 years of occupation by Germany, Austria-Hungary, and Russia.

Last edited by a moderator:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In three quarters of an hour it will be 11 o'clock on the 11th of November 2018.

Alan Seeger, American poet killed on July 1st, 1916 at Belloy-en-Santerre (northern France) during the First World War, while serving in the Legion.

A legionnaire fighting in the service of France.

In the United States, today is Veteran's Day, it is also Armistice Day, the peace to end all wars. On the 11th hour of the 11th day, and on the 11th month all hostilities ceased and the Armistice was signed at Versailles.

To all my brother Veterans happy Armistice and Veteran's Day to all. I raise a glass and toast your service, 2nd REP jumps in Mali, Operation Barkhane, Iraqi Freedom, Afghanistan, WWII, Korea, Indochina, Vietnam, Desert Storm, and all of the engagements. All of you, US, are a special breed. So, here is to your health my FRIENDS!

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) On the 11th hour of the 11th day, and on the 11th month all hostilities ceased and the Armistice was signed at Versailles. (...)
Quick correction USMCRET... The armistice was signed in a wagon brought to the clearing of Rethondes, east of Compiègne (~ 50 miles north-east of Paris). It's the peace treaty (Treaty of Versailles) that was signed in the palace built by King Louis XIV in the XVIIth century on June 28th, 1919.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Yes and no Petit Caporal. After the 1918 Armistice, the original wagon was kept, first in the Invalides, in Paris, then in a building specially built in the same clearing near Rethondes where the WW1 armistice was signed. In June 1940, Hitler, for the signature of the armistice following the French defeat, demanded that the building be destroyed, to remove the wagon and put it back to the exact location where it was in 1918. It was then taken to Germany and burnt in April 1945 on Hitler's order when the Allies were approaching the city were it was kept. The current wagon that one can see at Rethondes is not a replica, but an original one belonging to the same series as the “historic” one.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Quick correction USMCRET... The armistice was signed in a wagon brought to the clearing of Rethondes, east of Compiègne (~ 50 miles north-east of Paris). It's the peace treaty (Treaty of Versailles) that was signed in the palace built by King Louis XIV in the XVIIth century on June 28th, 1919.
Thank you Rapace, I love history and I did not know that.

The wagon you see today is a replica of the original. Adolf scraped it when he invaded in 40.
Where's the wagon replica?

Yes and no Petit Caporal. After the 1918 Armistice, the original wagon was kept, first in the Invalides, in Paris, then in a building specially built in the same clearing near Rethondes where the WW1 armistice was signed. In June 1940, Hitler, for the signature of the armistice following the French defeat, demanded that the building be destroyed, to remove the wagon and put it back to the exact location where it was in 1918. It was then taken to Germany and burnt in April 1945 on Hitler's order when the Allies were approaching the city were it was kept. The current wagon that one can see at Rethondes is not a replica, but an original one belonging to the same series as the “historic” one.
I'd love to see it, do you have a link Rapace.

Thank you

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Back in it's original place, at Rethondes, under a covered building and serves as a museum (quite popular too). When Germany invaded France in 40, the Germans made the French sign the surrender/armistice, in the same wagon and at the same spot. There are old news films out there of the eventl. Who said the Germans don't have a sense of humour?

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Rapace, Joe, or Petit Caporal is the Arch of Triumph a final resting place for France's unknown Soldiers like we have the Tomb of the unknown soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery? We have a person from WWI, WWII, Korea, and Vietnam interred in the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The Tomb is guarded 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The US Army Soldiers are from the Old Guard and they walk their post exactly 21 paces (think our 21 gun salute for the fallen) to and from, always, they have walked this eve during a hurricane and any and all inclement weather.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Yes it is and one of the coffin bearers was. ..Albert Roche : see last post (mines) in the Trench war thread

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In Tokyo 12 November 1948 a War Crimes Tribunal passed the death sentence on 7 Nipponese military and government officials. Among those condemned to death was General Hideki Tojo. He had served as the premier of Japan from 1941 -1944.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Some of the highlights of 11 Nov Ceremony in Paris :

Notably 40th second when a woman gets her knockers out for the boys :love: :ROFLMAO:. How she got past the security, over the barriers and so close to the security I'll never know.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
(...) Notably 40th second when a woman gets her knockers out for the boys :love: :ROFLMAO:. How she got past the security, over the barriers and so close to the security I'll never know.
Was a “FEMEN” protester and they were 2 to have scored and 3 were arrested. Reason : indecent exposure...

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Rapace, Joe, or Petit Caporal is the Arch of Triumph a final resting place for France's unknown

Par le sang versé
Le monde entier disait : la France est en danger
Les barbares demain, camperont dans ses plaines
Alors, cet homme que nous nommions "l'étranger"
Issus des monts latins ou des rives hellènes

Ou des bords d'outre-mers, s'étant pris à songer
Au sort qui menaçait les libertés humaines
Vint à nous, et s'offrant d'un cœur libre et léger
Dans nos rangs s'élança sur les hordes germaines

Quatre ans, il a peiné, lutté, saigné, souffert !
Et puis un soir, il est tombé, dans cet enfer..
Qui sait si l'inconnu qui dort sous l'arche immense

Mêlant sa gloire épique aux orgueils du passé
N'est pas cet étranger devenu fils de France
Non par le sang reçu mais par le sang versé.

A poem from Pascal Bonetti. 1920

It is generally the last 'part' for want for a better word, that most people remember;

Who knows if the unknown who sleeps under the immense arch
Mixing his epic glory with the prides of the past
Is not this stranger who became son of France
Not by the blood received, but by the blood shed.

It is now believed that the tomb of the unknown soldier was a tirailleur sénégalais.