a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
It is now believed that the tomb of the unknown soldier is a tirailleurs sénégalais

With modern technology, DNA Samples, we were all required to have a cheek swab, there will never be another person buried into the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank You Joseph, EVERY ASPIRANT SHOULD READ THIS AND TAKE TIME TO LET IT SINK IN:

The whole world said: France is in danger
The Barbarians tomorrow, will camp in its plains
So, this man we called “the stranger”
From the Latin mountains or the Hellenic shores

Or the edges of overseas, having started to think
Of the fate that threatened human freedoms
Came to us, and, offering himself of a free and light heart,
In our ranks rushed to the German hordes

Four years, he has toiled, struggled, bled, suffered!
And then one night, he fell, in this hell ..
Who knows if the unknown who sleeps under the immense arch

Mixing his epic glory with the prides of the past
Is not this stranger who became son of France
Not by the blood received but by the blood shed.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Makes me think of Navy ships that sink and all aboard lost for the eternity, all vessels, Subs and ships. Btw, Nelson at Trafalgar had a crew of franchised slaves (freedom fighters springs to mind).

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Rapace, Joe, or Petit Caporal is the Arch of Triumph a final resting place for France's unknown Soldiers like we have the Tomb of the unknown soldiers at Arlington National Cemetery? (...)
Yes. On Nov 8, 1920, WW1 veteran Auguste Thin (aged 22), chose a coffin among eight containing unidentified bodies of French soldiers, recovered from the most deadly WW1 theaters (Verdun, Somme, Champagne, Chemin des Dames, etc.). The story goes that to make the choice, he added the digits of his former regiment (132th Infantry Regiment) and picked the sixth coffin. The Unknown Soldier was buried under the Arch of Triumph in Paris on Nov 11, 1920 (so two years after the 1918 Armistice). There's only one Unknown Soldier, who now represents all soldiers who died for France, in all conflicts. This idea later inspired other nations.

I'd love to see it, do you have a link Rapace.
USMCRET, here is the link to the museum in the Rethondes clearing, near Compiègne.

(...) Who knows if the unknown who sleeps under the immense arch

Mixing his epic glory with the prides of the past
Is not this stranger who became son of France
Not by the blood received but by the blood shed.
The poem wasn't specifically written for the soldiers of the Foreign Legion, but of course it perfectly applies to the 35,000 legionnaires who died for France since 1831. A famous book by Paul Bonnecarrère, a WW2 veteran who served in the same regiment as mine, about the Legion campaign in Indochina is titled “Par le sang versé”.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
3 years ago today Paris (Bataclan music theater, various bars/restaurants in the 10th and 11th districts) and the surroundings of the Stade de France were attacked by Islamist terrorists. 130 people were killed.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Makes me think of Navy ships that sink and all aboard lost for the eternity, all vessels, Subs and ships. Btw, Nelson at Trafalgar had a crew of franchised slaves (freedom fighters springs to mind).
Very interesting you bring up Lord Nelson. When we, the Marines, have what we call a Mess Night, a full blown very orchestrated supper in full dress uniform with all of the pomp and circumstance one can possibly imagine, when one asks to be excused to go to the head (bathroom) one stands, faces the head table and request from the Mess President to “Go Shed a Tear for Lord Nelson” (piss). The folklore surrounding this is that Lord Nelson was preserved in a barrel of rum and he, Lord Nelson, was so loved permission was granted for mourning purposes to the Sailors. Well, sailors being sailors, they went down to drink the rum, but the rum had to be replaced with something... Folklore or tradition records as piss. So that is the origin for asking to “Go and Shed a Tear for Lord Nelson”.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Folklore or and tradition is always interesting and at times, beats the party line communiquer drafted by the arse holes in government. The head as you call it, is the chiotte(s) here... Personally, I usually call it, the Kazie (no idea where the expression originates... Maybe a German bunker? ( a casemate)

A chiotte (pronounced shot) is where you shit. Whatever, Marine, aim straight and shoot straight and do us proud.

maim

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Mate, dug this up,
Karzy
Karzy apparently first emerged in the early 1960s. The alternative spellings carsey and carsy give a better clue of the word’s origin as a corruption of Italian casa, ‘house’. One of its most notable uses was in a 1967 episode of the British television sitcom Till Death Us Do Part: ‘Have you seen the carsy? Just a bucket with a seat on top.’
Safe,
M.
Mle. 166 080

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Miam, miam casa est la sua casa. .(and dont hold back)
Respects : 167848

Last edited:

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
3 years ago today Paris (Bataclan music theater, various bars/restaurants in the 10th and 11th districts) and the surroundings of the Stade de France were attacked by Islamist terrorists. 130 people were killed.

Wow, has it been three years already?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Yup, disent time fly by when you are having a blast?
The group playing the gig that night was, Eagles of death metal (Americain band) Ironic or what?
Since then, not really, even before, circa 2010 for me perso. ..knew something of the sort was in the making
Hyporcsy of the story
Is when ultra right met. ..not even the left, but Jihadisme
A shambles, in my book
If a laid back SOB the likes of my kin had reason = incompétence goverence
Fichier S is for any one, me inclu
Reason i hold back so much
My tolérance has it's limits , btw

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I wonder if they still have the competition who can get the first bottle of wine to the grand restaurants in London?

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Today in America, it's Thanksgiving. Not my most favorite holiday, as I have no family to celebrate with, so I'll just post here and say I'm thankful for all of you here who've been guiding me along this path and keep advising and encouraging me

And today we should especially remembers the warriors who can't be home with families

Attachments

• basic givings.jpg
    basic givings.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 3