a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
Hi Perun, I've got it down as the 19th Dec. Tomorrow.
Hello,
Me too. Then I saw it says under the photo: first issue on 18.12.'44.
The artickle I read about it said the 18th, wiki link I found to post confused me as well. 50/50?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
On Friday the 20th of December, 1957 while spending his Christmas at Graceland his newly purchased Tennessee mansion Elvis Presley receive his Draft (National Service UK) notice for the US Army.

He was sworn in as a private on the 24th of March 1958 and later attained the rank of Sgt with a tank battalion in Germany.

(Eat your heart out Sexpert- tanks and Germany,)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Saturday 21 December 1968. Apollo 8 the first manned mission to the moon was launched from Cape Canaveral with astronauts Frank Borman, James Lovell and William Anders aboard. They arrived at the moon on Christmas day. They made 10 lunar orbits before landing safely in the Pacific ocean on the 27th December.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
On Friday the 20th of December, 1957 while spending his Christmas at Graceland his newly purchased Tennessee mansion Elvis Presley receive his Draft (National Service UK) notice for the US Army.

He was sworn in as a private on the 24th of March 1958 and later attained the rank of Sgt with a tank battalion in Germany.

(Eat your heart out Sexpert- tanks and Germany,)
Knew he was in Germany but never knew what Regiment.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anniversary Friday 21 January 1977.

President Jimmy Carter granted unconditional pardons to men who evaded draft during the Vietnam War.

In total 100,000 young Americans went abroad in the late 1960s' and early 70s' to avoid serving. 90% went to Canada, where after initial controversy they were welcomed as immigrants.

Personal comment self ; Too many presidents avoided going by all sorts of dubious methods. It was the poor and less well educated who bore the brunt.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anniversary-Sunday 22 January 1905.

In Russia the revolution of 1905 began when Tsarist troops opened fire on peaceful workers marching to the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg to petition their grievances to Tsar Nicholas, the 2nd.

More than 500 protesters were massacred on 'Bloody Sunday' (Not to be confused with the same in Northern Ireland).

This resulted in setting off months of protest and disorder across Russia.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Anniversary Friday 21 January 1977.

President Jimmy Carter granted unconditional pardons to men who evaded draft during the Vietnam War.

In total 100,000 young Americans went abroad in the late 1960s' and early 70s' to avoid serving. 90% went to Canada, where after initial controversy they were welcomed as immigrants.

Personal comment self ; Too many presidents avoided going by all sorts of dubious methods. It was the poor and less well educated who bore the brunt.
I think that has always been the way Charles. Having said that I’ve shared ditches / foxholes with members of the aristocracy as well! Some of them later becoming generals / colonels and the like. As for the working class lads? Salt of the earth! and always will be. Hope all is well mon ami.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Anniversary Tuesday 23 January 1968.

North Korean naval vessels seized the US intelligence gathering ship Pueblo. The charge against the Pueblo was for spying and violating North Korean territorial waters.

Negotiations to free the 83 man crew of the vessel dragged on for nearly a year before reaching conclusion.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Anniversary Tuesday 23 January 1968.

North Korean naval vessels seized the US intelligence gathering ship Pueblo. The charge against the Pueblo was for spying and violating North Korean territorial waters.

Negotiations to free the 83 man crew of the vessel dragged on for nearly a year before reaching conclusion.
The North Koreans still keep it as a "trophy" rumour has it part of the current negotiations are for the ship to be returned as part of the goodwill and tensions reduction on the peninsula.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
The North Koreans still keep it as a "trophy" rumour has it part of the current negotiations are for the ship to be returned as part of the goodwill and tensions reduction on the peninsula.
Don't believe that is true. I mean why would US need that old crappy ship? In other hand for N. Korea means a lot as reminder to their "great victory", trophy and even tourist attraction. Every official tour in N. Korea including visit to that ship. :)

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Don't believe that is true. I mean why would US need that old crappy ship? In other hand for N. Korea means a lot as reminder to their "great victory", trophy and even tourist attraction. Every official tour in N. Korea including visit to that ship. :)

Because its still officially on the naval registry and an officially flagged US navy ship. Matter of pride I suppose.....matter of perspective as well how do you think Russia or Iran would respond if the yanks captured one of their ships and turned it into a museum and trophy?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I think that that would be the reason why the US want the ship back; so that it isn't a part of the tourist visit. No-one actually wants the ship itself.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think that that would be the reason why the US want the ship back; so that it isn't a part of the tourist visit. No-one actually wants the ship itself.
Is that so big of an shame for them? Please. That's why they don't have to worry about as (Serbia). We sold our downed F-117a to Chinese. :)