a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Not a bad idea, I’m on! Saves me writing the whole bloody story myself, and probably be criticised afterwards for getting some dates wrong as well
Understand Jonny. There’s nothing worse then being criticized/or nit picked at by somebody who was not there!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sunday 30 May 1971.

America launched the unmanned space shuttle Mariner 9 on a mission to gather scientific information on Mars.

The spacecraft entered the planet's orbit on 13 November 1971 and circled Mars twice each day for almost a year.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Sunday 30 May 1971.

America launched the unmanned space shuttle Mariner 9 on a mission to gather scientific information on Mars.

The spacecraft entered the planet's orbit on 13 November 1971 and circled Mars twice each day for almost a year.
Is that important? What the fuke do we want with Mars. just leave it. much more important is that out in reall space they have discovered alcohol clouds. Huge ones!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Is that important? What the fuke do we want with Mars. just leave it. much more important is that out in reall space they have discovered alcohol clouds. Huge ones!
Intrigued your imagination when you heard that? :) It's really a huge cloud, like 1000 times diameter of our solar system. Unfortunately it's mainly methyl alcohol. Will not get far drinking that sh*t. :)

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
More Majorum, is the motto of the 2eme REP, it means in the steps of our forebears, or something like that. It can also mean in the respect of those who went before us. And that is how I feel about those who fought, got wounded and died on this D day in 1944. More Majorum! My humble respect! Especially for the paratroopers who jumped into the German lines ahead of the main force.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Every country at war commits atrocities. In history the winner always points the finger at the loser. That sadly is the way it goes.
Certainly the Allies committed atrocities in WW2. To put it simply war is horrendous (e.g. Dresden bombing).
I am specifically interested in the post WW2 Batang Kali massacre in Malaya. Our own miserable My Lai. I have represented certain parties. Some facts, even now sub judice, after so many years.
All I can say is that the Foreign Office lied to me and I have proved that to my MP. Now they accept a proportion of guilt and have made an admission.
Then we have our treatment of Mau Mau prisoners who have received compensation for torture and castration.
All ancient history but no side is ever innocent. Mankind is full of cruelty.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Every country at war commits atrocities. In history the winner always points the finger at the loser. That sadly is the way it goes.
Certainly the Allies committed atrocities in WW2. To put it simply war is horrendous (e.g. Dresden bombing).
I am specifically interested in the post WW2 Batang Kali massacre in Malaya. Our own miserable My Lai. I have represented certain parties. Some facts, even now sub judice, after so many years.
All I can say is that the Foreign Office lied to me and I have proved that to my MP. Now they accept a proportion of guilt and have made an admission.
Then we have our treatment of Mau Mau prisoners who have received compensation for torture and castration.
All ancient history but no side is ever innocent. Mankind is full of cruelty
Yep, I saw plenty of that in Algeria, from both sides, including my own. I wrote about it and was told I was making up a story. Hence I will never be awarded the Legion d’Honneur. I’m a bit proud of that, actually. Because I told the true story. They can keep the bloody thing!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yep, I saw plenty of that in Algeria, from both sides, including my own. I wrote about it and was told I was making up a story. Hence I will never be awarded the Legion d’Honneur. I’m a bit proud of that, actually. Because I told the true story. They can keep the bloody thing!
Medals are not important but keeping your self respect is. A Good post jonny.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
All ancient history but no side is ever innocent. Mankind is full of cruelty
Talking of Dresden, I met 3 girls from Dresden in Hamburg when I was on a seminar fitness related. Great girls, helped me too on the written test ! haha.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Talking of Dresden, I met 3 girls from Dresden in Hamburg when I was on a seminar fitness related. Great girls, helped me too on the written test ! haha.
Was it in St Pauli? I met some friendly girls there who helped me as well.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Heroes everyone of them. This clip might be Hollywood but i saw a Documentary and they interviewed both sides. A German Machine Gunner said it was just a slaughter but they kept coming at us. Some drowned because they sank with all the kit they carried.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Was it in St Pauli? I met some friendly girls there who helped me as well.
No... It was in a massive studio. This place had 2 indoor tennis courts, restaurant (where we always ate). I did the Hamburg thing jonny... In the mid 80s. Hannover also good.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Der Junge von Sainkt Pauli, warst du?