a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
There are so few of them left. Quite simply the greatest generation.
I do not believe it could be done again. Last weekend I was In Pensacola Florida, we stayed on the Naval Air Station, for a swim meet. There were young Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, and Airmen for their MOS Specialty, all aviation MOSs go to Pensacola for their training. They were so young and I swear in my mind I asked myself, did any of them ever punch someone in the face? I do not know that D-Day could ever be repeated.
The young Marines I am sure are hard corps and can accomplish their mission, but I doubt their metal, can they be hard, fight, PUNCH someone in the face or run them through with a Bayonet?
I know the previous generations thought the same of us, but we got the job done.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I do not believe it could be done again. Last weekend I was In Pensacola Florida, we stayed on the Naval Air Station, for a swim meet. There were young Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, and Airmen for their MOS Specialty, all aviation MOSs go to Pensacola for their training. They were so young and I swear in my mind I asked myself, did any of them ever punch someone in the face? I do not know that D-Day could ever be repeated.
The young Marines I am sure are hard corps and can accomplish their mission, but I doubt their metal, can they be hard, fight, PUNCH someone in the face or run them through with a Bayonet?
I know the previous generations thought the same of us, but we got the job done.
Thank God the British Army still trains the Bayonet. The UK & the USA will always have strong ties.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I do not believe it could be done again. Last weekend I was in Pensacola Florida, we stayed on the Naval Air Station, for a swim meet. There were young Marines, Sailors, Soldiers, and Airmen for their MOS Specialty, all aviation MOSs go to Pensacola for their training. They were so young and I swear in my mind I asked myself, did any of them ever punch someone in the face? I do not know that D-Day could ever be repeated.
I'm glad that you point that out. You are totally right. When I was a kid we fight each other all the time. I mean you can't really hurt someone with fist when you are 7 to 13.
Younger generations lacking that. Now, if one kid hits another his parents just face serious repercussions! That's stupid and ridiculous. Of course there are some types of behaviors that need to be sanctioned, but you can't just stop boys from being boys. Nothing wrong with that.
Now, especially in America (nothing against you guys) if something like that happen they put kids on fu*king Ritalin.
I mean of cause violence among kids should be managed it some way. But you can't stop every fight among kids! Something is wrong with the western system (my country included).

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hey, I have decided to start celebrating my 80th year today.
Oh well, just for fun I have been going on in my memory box about how many times I could have been prevented from reached my 80th year. With no particular order, as I remember them are:
Bullets, mortar grenades and burrowed land mines in Algeria, storms and hurricanes at sea in small ships in the north Atlantic, contagual deceases, such as malaria, diphteria and hepatitis, bad women, some giving me the crap and others stealing everything I owned, and, of course, too much alcohol, just to name a few.
Time for another exquisite Scottish Arran single malt, I reckon.
Cheers!!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Is it your birthday today Jonny or just an excuse for a few ;)? Mind you, 80 is a great age. Doubt I´ll see it... :cry:

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Great clip Sexpert, I like it as well.
Cheers, hic!

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I'm glad that you point that out. You are totally right. When I was a kid we fight each other all the time. I mean you can't really hurt someone with fist when you are 7 to 13.

Younger generations lacking that. Now, if one kid hit another his parents just face serious repercussions.! That's stupid and ridiculous, Of course there is some types of behaviors that need to be sanctioned, but you can't just stop boys from being boys. Nothing wrong with that.

Now , especially in America (nothing against you guys) if something like that happen they put kids on F-ing Ritalin.
I mean of cause violence among kids should be managed it some way. But you can't stop every fight among kids! Something is wrong with western system . (My country included)
Dusaboss, the high school I went to on the last day of school this year a large fight broke out and it too quite a while to get it under control, the police arrested 13. If you get in a fight at school now days you will be arrested. Or, instead of a fight being a fight, someone always want to get a gun and kill the person, I mean come on man, it's just a fight, you win or you lose but it was a fight.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I think marine in every generation you will always have those who will put their lives on the line for their country. Nationality does not matter! The point is they will always come forward. The sad part is the damn politicians who start all the crap and then leave it to us to clean up!

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Jonny is a young sprog.:D:D:D:D:D

The man on this forum I miss is the late Bart. He was 17 days older than me.
An inspiring gentleman and a true veteran. RIP.

Now Jonny the drink is on me when you are actually 80 after all your hard living.;)

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Jonny is a young sprog.:D:D:D:D:D

The man on this forum I miss is the late Bart. He was 17 days older than me.
An inspiring gentleman and a true veteran. RIP.

Now Jonny the drink is on me when you are actually 80 after all your hard living.;)
Thanks mate, not 80 yet, just starting my 80th year in good spirit (single malt Speyside) and a bit of cheeky humour. ( Funny how many people confuse the birthday with the year completed.)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I must be mistaken but in one of your post you intimated that you joined the Legion at 16 y.o.a. in 1957.

Did you know that the Chinese call you one year old when you are born ? That would make me 81. :D

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Ok Chas, forget about the Chinese. When your happy parents celebrate your first birthday you are one years old, no? And on that same day you start your second year on this planet, non? When I joined the Legion in June 1957 I was still in my 16th year since I was actually born in August 1940. Makes sense?
And now you probably ask why am I celebrating my birthday so early? Well, I have a good answer for that: I had a few drinks and decided it was never too early to start celebrating the start of your 80th year on this planet. Just in case. Touch wood. Got it?
AD7B9C76-20A1-4DC8-A918-01E568F924DF.jpeg

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Jonny you are a mere stripling at 79. I however am the veritable old fart. I am one year and 3 months older. So you need to get your knees brown with some sun and desert sand.:D:D:D

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Yeah, me and you Chas, chasing the girls down to the nearest bar. Swigging it down while the girls are lap dancing on our rikkedy old knees. Those were the days my friend...

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Jonny you are a mere stripling at 79. I however am the veritable old fart. I am one year and 3 months older. (...)
Older but not any wiser... But in our heart, the dream is still the same. Those were the days my friend...