a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
So Jonny, let me summarise, for the record: you start saying you’re celebrating your 80th birthday, then you kind of say that, actually no, you’re just entering into your 80th year (implying that you have gone past your 79th birthday), and finally you tell us that you were born in Aug 1940, meaning that you haven’t even yet gone past your 79th birthday. Is that the final version?
Suggestion: post a message when you actually turn 80 (next year, so, Inshaa Allah) and we’ll send you all the kudos you deserve... Or not.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
So Jonny, let me summarise, for the record: you start saying you are celebrating your 80th birthday, then you kind of say that, actually no, you’re just entering into your 80th year (implying that you have gone past your 79th birthday), and finally you tell us that you were born in Aug 1940, meaning that you haven’t even yet gone past your 79th birthday. Is that the final version?
Suggestion: post a message when you actually turn 80 (next year, so, Inshaa Allah) and we’ll send you all the kudos you deserve... Or not.
Cheers Rapace, my birthday post was just meant as a bit of a humourous excuse to post my funny picture of a bunch of legionnaires getting drunk. I had no idea how seriously it would be analyzed by you and others. Oh Jesus, I repent, mea culpa!!
Yes, my 79th birthday is n August, and I intend to keep the exact date a secret since I have received enough flak about my joke already.
Chers, and lighten up, you lot 😒

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
If it is worth saying: I too will be celebrating Jonny's 80th Birthday on August the 5th, the day I fly out of here.:)

PS and anyone else's in between time.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
June 18th, 1940 : Gen Charles De Gaulle, who left France for London a couple of days before, makes a speech on BBC radio calling for all the French who don't accept the armistice signed by Pétain to join him in England to keep on fighting. The most famous sentence of the speech that will remain in history is of course “La France a perdu une bataille, mais la France n'a pas perdu la guerre” (France lost a battle, but France didn't lose the war). That marks the beginning of what will be known as la France Libre, with the military branch called Forces Françaises Libres (Free French Forces), in which the Legion will play a significant role.

1560848839501.png

• June 18th, 2010 : Gen (retired) Marcel Bigeard passes away at the age of 94. A WW2 veteran (parachuted in occupied France as a Jedburgh), 3 tours in Indochina – the last one as a Major, CO of 6e BPC (Bataillon de Parachutistes Coloniaux), ending at Dien Bien Phu – and later, as a Colonel, CO of 3e RPC (Régiment de Parachutistes Coloniaux) in Algeria, until 1958. After his retirement from active service, he served a couple of years in the 70s (under Pdt Valéry Giscard d'Estaing) as deputy Defense Minister.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
Of course, I was about to forget...
• June 18th, 1815 : the battle of Waterloo... Napoleon not far from winning his “all-in bet”, after escaping – three months before – the Elba island, where he was living in exile since his first abdication in April 1814. Not really for me to comment though, I will leave this pleasure to my Rosbeef friends :D. As Victor Hugo wrote :
Waterloo, Waterloo, morne plaine...

On a lighter side... (love the mini dresses of the girls and the platform shoes of the boys... :D)

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Born on the fourth of july.

Reminds me a lot of Algeria, but without the music. And without the shouting.

Happy Indenpence day, guys!

Last edited: