a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Also on this day in 1943

1943 Operation Chastise: No. 617 Squadron RAF begins the famous Dambusters Raid, bombing the Möhne and Eder dams in the Ruhr valley with bouncing bombs,

With the risk of boring (What ! no not you Joe o_O. Impossible ! ) [thanks guys, much appreciated] I've just finished reading a book about the adventures of 617 Squadron. It's titled "return of the dambusters" by John Nichol who was a fighter pilot during the golf war. He was actually flying a tornado and managed to get himself shot down. Silly c*nt;):whistle:.

It is a really good read. 617 squadron was created for the task of destroying 3 dams which produced hydroelectricity to supply Germany's arms manufacturing plants.
To cut a long story Barnes Wallis who was an engineer, first of all in the Navy than the RAF, was working on how to damage Germany's power supplies to create steel even before Adolf declared all out war. His main function however,was to design planes.
When in 1942 it became vital to blow up the dams Barnes Wallis came up with the solution. There was no point in trying to use the classic bombing technique of dropping a few bombs from the air and then home for a quick cup of tea in the officers mess lounging around by the cozy fire. Because with them being dams, they were surrounded by hills and LOTS of flak.
No point in trying to torpedo them either because the Germans had put in two rows of anti torpedo nets.
So Barnes Wallis suggested that they use a bouncing bomb. Which if it had not happened would sound ridiculous even today. However, in order for the bombs to be effective they could not just hit the top of the dam and expect it to bust, They had to somehow make it sink and it with it being bouncy they had to find a way for it stick to the wall of the dam.
Our man Barnes came up with the solution, you had to put a back spin on it. A bit like table tennis ball that you've served with a back slice, if it does not clear the net, not only does the other guy get a point, but the ball goes to the net.
The bomb was code named "up keep". They managed to blow two of the dams but the third one was only damaged.

In order to reach the dams they pilots had to fly from England under the radar. This became 617's specialty, hence earning it the nickname of the suicide squadron.Our main man Barnes then went on to develop another type of bomb called tall boy, which was later used to penetrate the think skinned Tirpitz and after three attempts eventually sink it.
Barnes Wallis wasn't satisfied with tall boy, he went on to create another bomb called Grand Slam which like it's predecessor was designed to pierce reinforced concrete and explode underground. As the name suggests it was a lot bigger and caused an earth quack type of reaction.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Today in 1756, Britain declares war on France.
Then in 1803 rebelote ;
Napoleon Bonaparte seized power in 1799 after overthrowing the French revolutionary government. During this time, U.S. and French negotiators were concluding negotiations to end the Quasi-War with France. In 1802, Napoleon ended ten years of warfare with Great Britain under the Peace of Amiens. He used this opportunity to attempt to crush the Haitian Revolution, but the army he sent met with defeat. Napoleon had also re-obtained the North American province of Louisiana from Spain in 1800. However, the loss of Haiti made Louisiana strategically undesirable, and with war again on the horizon with Great Britain, Napoleon was willing to agree to the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.

As expected, Britain declared war on France in 1803.

And a year to the day in 1804 Bonaparte proclaimed Emperor of France by the French Senate.
It is said that he felt that there was no-one worthy enough to crown him, so he did it himself. :ROFLMAO:

For reference:
Beginning with the French invasion of Normandy 1202 and ending with the exile of Napoleon in 1815. The French and the British were at war 23 separate times. Which includes the 100 years war*
And how many times did the Brits kick the French @rses? As far as I know all but once:
The famous hundred years war between England and France (1337–1453) ended with a French victory, with England losing Normandy and Aquitaine, and abandoning claims to the French throne. England however retained ownership of the Channel Islands and Calais.

*The Hundred Years' War (1337-1453)-The Hundred Years' War was actually a series of wars between England and France which lasted 116 years. Most historians break this conflict into four distinct wars.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Hi Mark Wake, enjoy your day !!!
for Mark and all those that took part in Operation Bonite 42 years ago. Some of these outstanding men were my commanding officers and NCO’s when I arrived in Calvi, including my first Chef de Corp, Colonel Coevoet. LPN

Attachments

• F1ED4731-77AE-423F-9CB8-AF84D7E29F5A.jpeg
    F1ED4731-77AE-423F-9CB8-AF84D7E29F5A.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 5
  • B9645E7D-2760-49B7-9E5A-51B5E988D960.jpeg
    B9645E7D-2760-49B7-9E5A-51B5E988D960.jpeg
    172.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 02331C9E-CEAE-475F-8FAD-ED00D4AAC1D6.jpeg
    02331C9E-CEAE-475F-8FAD-ED00D4AAC1D6.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 8
  • F8DEB334-3D0C-4751-8B0E-CBD87C7FA499.jpeg
    F8DEB334-3D0C-4751-8B0E-CBD87C7FA499.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 8
  • D4A1CC9B-AEAC-476E-90CE-9B1BC28CCD1C.jpeg
    D4A1CC9B-AEAC-476E-90CE-9B1BC28CCD1C.jpeg
    316.5 KB · Views: 8
  • E99ED9DC-3017-4B44-88DF-2477FA81D644.jpeg
    E99ED9DC-3017-4B44-88DF-2477FA81D644.jpeg
    467.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 739E43F5-5BDC-43F7-86AB-07CFC8E7AF2E.jpeg
    739E43F5-5BDC-43F7-86AB-07CFC8E7AF2E.jpeg
    608.8 KB · Views: 7
  • B2F1FF52-0CD5-4EA5-905D-FCF4E6FE9084.jpeg
    B2F1FF52-0CD5-4EA5-905D-FCF4E6FE9084.jpeg
    365.5 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
for Mark and all those that took part in Operation Bonite 42 years ago. Some of these outstanding men were my commanding officers and NCO’s when I arrived in Calvi, including my first Chef de Corp, Colonel Coevoet. LPN
He was a good officer ossie. Had I stayed in the legion it would have been a privilege to have him as chef du corps. he served With the 1ere in chad. Zaire. Gabon. Along with a certain scrawny young lieutenant with a buzz cut later general of the army puga😉 my section commander in kolwezi. Both fine officers. Cheers mate.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Mark Wake, enjoy your day !!!
So it is 42 years since “Opération Léopard”. I remember when I was interviewed by Simon Murray when he did the documentary on the French foreign Legion. The lad with the thick British accent talking about the Kolwezi jump is yours truly! Still a little pissed he didn’t tell me I was actually going to be in the documentary. Think he owes me a few beers 🤔! Anyway what I said is enough and we’ll leave it at that. I would like to pay my respects to the Anciens of my company who have passed away since. Adjudant-chef Carlos Dos Santos, adjudant-chef Tintchenko (both sergeants when I knew them), caporal-chef Fourquet (many thanks Le Petit Caporal), caporal Garel, and last – but not least – adjudant-chef Jacques Hosteins. He was in many ways my mentor, a hard tough man. When I committed une “banane” he gave me a choice between a report to the capitaine or the old Legion way! My God he could punch! Later when I started climbing the ranks he had a hand in my promotion to caporal and caporal-chef and was disappointed when I turned down the sergeant school. I explained to him one quiet night in the company club that I’d done enough. After five years with the Brit paras and six years with the Legion, I wanted to try and make a go of it in civvy street. There was a silence. He said he understood. Just before I left the regiment for the last time the adjudant-chef came up to me and shook my hand there was a respect and sadness between us. I shall never forget him and all the others I served with.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
He was a good officer ossie. Had I stayed in the legion it would have been a privilege to have him as chef du corps. he served With the 1ere in chad. Zaire. Gabon. Along with a certain scrawny young lieutenant with a buzz cut later general of the army puga😉 my section commander in kolwezi. Both fine officers. Cheers mate.
The Boss Colonel Coevoet.

Attachments

• 0D99238C-FFCE-4C20-B3F3-84D84B41376C.jpeg
    0D99238C-FFCE-4C20-B3F3-84D84B41376C.jpeg
    297.1 KB · Views: 2

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1873May 20
Levi Strauss and Jacob Davis receive patent for blue jeans
On May 20, 1873, San Francisco businessman Levi Strauss and Reno, Nevada, tailor Jacob Davis are given a patent to create work pants reinforced with metal rivets, marking the birth of one of the world’s most famous garments: blue jeans.
In San Francisco, Strauss established a wholesale dry goods business under his own name and worked as the West Coast representative of his family’s firm. His new business imported clothing, fabric and other dry goods to sell in the small stores opening all over California and other Western states to supply the rapidly expanding communities of gold miners and other settlers. By 1866, Strauss had moved his company to expanded headquarters and was a well-known businessman and supporter of the Jewish community in San Francisco.
Jacob Davis, a tailor in Reno, Nevada, was one of Levi Strauss’ regular customers. In 1872, he wrote a letter to Strauss about his method of making work pants with metal rivets on the stress points–at the corners of the pockets and the base of the button fly–to make them stronger. As Davis didn’t have the money for the necessary paperwork, he suggested that Strauss provide the funds and that the two men get the patent together. Strauss agreed enthusiastically, and the patent for “Improvement in Fastening Pocket-Openings”–the innovation that would produce blue jeans as we know them–was granted to both men on May 20, 1873.
Strauss brought Davis to San Francisco to oversee the first manufacturing facility for “waist overalls,” as the original jeans were known. At first they employed seamstresses working out of their homes, but by the 1880s, Strauss had opened his own factory. The famous 501 brand jean—known until 1890 as “XX”—was soon a bestseller, and the company grew quickly. By the 1920s, Levi’s denim waist overalls were the top-selling men’s work pant in the United States. As decades passed, the craze only grew, and now blue jeans are worn and beloved by men and women, young and old, around the world.

Now here is something interesting:
The materiel was ordered from France to make canvass tents. However the French company based in Nimes took too long to send the materiel out and so the miners found that they were left with this materiel which no-one could put a name to, instead they just called it de Nimes. So of course they made dungarees out of them until Levis came along.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Lock up your daughters, I can see that by his last post Le petit Caporal is truly back !

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
1590739715951.png 1590739747706.png

On this day, 62 years ago (29 May 1958), Lt-Col Jeanpierre, CO of 1er REP, was KIA in the region of Guelma (eastern Algeria), aged 46.
Then a captain, Lt-Col Jeanpierre was 2IC of 1er BEP during the Cao Bang evacuation along the RC4 in Sept-Oct 1950. He was one of the few who managed to make it back to the French lines.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
On this day in 1913

The Treaty of London was a treaty signed on 30 May. (it didn't last long) It was to move the borders of countries after the First Balkan War.

The Balkan League won the war from the Ottoman Empire. The Balkan League was Serbia, Greece, Kingdom of Bulgaria, and Montenegro. One important border to decide was Albania. There was a declaration of independence by Albania on 28 November 1912. All of the Ottoman Empire, except Albania, was given to the Balkan League.

Because not everyone was happy with the Treaty of London, the Second Balkan War started on June 13. Peace came after the Treaty of Bucharest on 12 August 1913.

Actually I only remember this because I was reading about another treaty of London in 1359 with Edward III. I mean no-one is really interested in what Serbia was up to in 1913 :cautious: are they? Except of course Dusa and I ;):whistle:

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
1431 Hundred Years' War: 19 year old Joan of Arc is burned at the stake by an English-dominated tribunal in Rouen, France.

She has become the political symbol of the French Front National a right-wing party. The ex-president of the party's famous words: Jeanne! Au secours !

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) She has become the political symbol of the French Front National a right-wing party. The ex-president of the party's famous words: Jeanne! Au secours ! (...)
Joan of Arc has been kind of “hijacked” by the FN in the 80s, but per s, she's definitely not a right-wing type of symbol (btw in the XVth century right or left in politics meant nothing). They simply took this as a pretext for a show of force every May 1st, where Le Pen was laying a wrath near her statue in Paris (place des Pyramides, along rue de Rivoli) and giving a speech. It was seen as a way to balance the usual demonstrations held on 1st May by the unions and left-wing political parties.
He shouted the sentence “Jeanne, au secours !” (Joan, help!) after her daughter, after several months of progressive sidelining, finally expelled him from the party, as some of his provocative public declarations were deemed incompatible with the new image she was willing to give to the “family-business”.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
02 June 1973
French Open Women's Tennis: Margaret Court of Australia beats American teenager Chris Evert 6-7, 7-6, 6-4 for her 5th and last French singles crown.

It's funny how most English country's refer to it as the "French Open". I mean Wimbledon is Wimbledon, who ever you are. It's actually (pour les Français) Tournoi Roland Garros. Albeit the Roland Garros is on clay.
This year because of the covid 19 it has been postponed. Originally to be scheduled from 24 May to 7 June, it was then moved to 20 September to 4 October comprising singles, doubles and mixed doubles play.

So where did the Name Roland Garros come about;
(by the way you will notice that on of the 'four Musketeers is René Lacoste 1591069159571.png

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
The following year (no connection :ROFLMAO:) 1974 Mali adopts it's constitution*. Some 14 years after gaining it's independence from France on 20th June 1960.

* A Constitution tells us the fundamental nature of our society. A Constitution helps serve as a set of rules and principles that all persons in a country can agree upon as the basis of the way in which they want the country to be governed.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
On this day Saturday 2 June 1917.

The WW1 Canadian flying ace Billy Bishop undertook a solo mission behind enemy lines and shot down 3 German enemy aircraft as they were taking off. He also shot several more on the ground, for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
And today in 1906 René 1591168928177.png wins the Roland Garos final.
French Championships Men's Tennis: René Lacoste wins his 3rd French title, beating fellow Frenchman (and fellow musketeer [see post #655]) Jean Borotra 6-3, 2-6, 6-0, 2-6, 8-6