a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Historical Moments On this day

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't have it. I just noticing that those two units (marines) are not so strong on modesty. Maybe that is part of training. I would also like for my men to think they are better then enemy. But I would also like not to underestimate foe. I know that is hard when most of your enemies are so behind you with weapons and all other things.
It's not so easy when most of time enemy is gothF-ers in slippers with 50 yr old AKs. :) Still modesty is important.
And I believe there is many of marines there who are humble. I can't say that about every US or UK marine whom I have ever met, But if I'm talking about some guys here and some from other places and compare them to FFL (Not night jumping guys :)) modesty is not on your side.

Let me give you example. First I think you are good person and you have many good attributes and I respect you. I'm not saying you are boastful just saying I can't call you modest. Especially when you talking about your teams. (USMC. your state, America, etc )
How many US Marines finished their contract honorably? Do you wont me to believe that all of them are really good soldiers, really good men and other superlatives? All
while putting down other (especially non allied armies)...

If you ding that (and from my experience you do) , sorry but I can't consider you for modest man.

Absolutely Dusa, listen, it becomes ingrained in one's memory, the History, Tradition, Esprit de Corps, and Lore of the Marine Corps. Why I like this page so much is because the Legion is exactly the same, like twins, and so are the Royal Marines, I have the ultimate respect for those Marines.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I don't have it. I just noticing that those two units (marines) are not so strong on modesty. Maybe that is part of training. I would also like for my men to think they are better then enemy. But I would also like not to underestimate foe. I know that is hard when most of your enemies are so behind you with weapons and all other things.
It's not so easy when most of time enemy is gothF-ers in slippers with 50 yr old AKs. :) Still modesty is important.
And I believe there is many of marines there who are humble. I can't say that about every US or UK marine whom I have ever met, But if I'm talking about some guys here and some from other places and compare them to FFL (Not night jumping guys :)) modesty is not on your side.

Let me give you example. First I think you are good person and you have many good attributes and I respect you. I'm not saying you are boastful just saying I can't call you modest. Especially when you talking about your teams. (USMC. your state, America, etc )
How many US Marines finished their contract honorably? Do you wont me to believe that all of them are really good soldiers, really good men and other superlatives? All
while putting down other (especially non allied armies)...

If you ding that (and from my experience you do) , sorry but I can't consider you for modest man.

Thank you Dusa, I take not one word you said in a bad way. It's hard to put a number to it but there MOST CERTAINLY, is a large number of Marines kicked out for numerous reasons, but it is a small percentage. Then, not counting the percent that is kicked out, there are Marines we affectionately refer to as the "10 Percents," basically little Shite Heads that never make it through the rank of Lance Corporal in a complete 4-year enlistment

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Monday 15 July, 1799.

A French soldier Pierre -Francois Bouchard discovered the Rosetta Stone, a carved tablet which had been used as a building block, near the town of Rashid in Egypt.

It was the first ancient Egyptian bilingual text found in modern times.
Eat your heart out Pierre (which means rock/stone in French);

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Absolutely Dusa, listen, it becomes ingrained in one's memory, the History, Tradition, Esprit de Corps, and Lore of the Marine Corps. Why I like this page so much is because the Legion is exactly the same, like twins, and so are the Royal Marines, I have the ultimate respect for those Marines.
Like twins you say.....and if this Legion Gendarme uniform is legit, then I can see the resemblance! Seriously it's almost exactly like USMC dress blues no?Screenshot_20200715-200703~2.png

hotsauced

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you Dusa, I take not one word you said in a bad way. It's hard to put a number to it but there MOST CERTAINLY, is a large number of Marines kicked out for numerous reasons, but it is a small percentage. Then, not counting the percent that is kicked out, there are Marines we affectionately refer to as the "10 Percents," basically little Shite Heads that never make it through the rank of Lance Corporal in a complete 4-year enlistment

the kids these days call em "Terminal Lance"

hotsauced

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
In 1961 every Chinese community was turned out to deal with sparrows by the Chinese government who claimed that if every sparrow ate two pieces of grain the populace would starve. These birds can't stay airborne for more than two hours (Unlike the Night Jumper.) So they beat drums and gongs, waved flags and fired guns of all calibres and the poor little birdies dropped out of the sky with exhaustion. They were then eaten.:D

"A direct consequence of the Four Pests Campaign was the Great Famine. It became painfully obvious to the Chinese that the sparrows ate more than grains. They also ate insects. With their primary predator gone, insects wrecked havoc on crops and consequentially, rice yields decreased. Locust populations also ballooned, swarming the country and compounding the ecological problems already caused by the Great Leap Forward, including widespread deforestation and misuse of poisons and pesticides. By the time Mao terminated the program—but not before replacing sparrows with bed bugs in the Four Pests list—between 20 to 50 million people had died of starvation. "

:unsure:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

"A direct consequence of the Four Pests Campaign was the Great Famine. It became painfully obvious to the Chinese that the sparrows ate more than grains. They also ate insects. With their primary predator gone, insects wrecked havoc on crops and consequentially, rice yields decreased. Locust populations also ballooned, swarming the country and compounding the ecological problems already caused by the Great Leap Forward, including widespread deforestation and misuse of poisons and pesticides. By the time Mao terminated the program—but not before replacing sparrows with bed bugs in the Four Pests list—between 20 to 50 million people had died of starvation. "

We picked up the bodies floating in the sea and rivers. This was in 1966 during Mao's great purge. Most were trying to escape to HK. Then I met his supporters with their little red books in ensuing riots.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia

So they were killing mosquitoes, rats, flies and sparrows. I wonder how successful they were with other 3 species. How to kill all mosquitoes and flies Even if you somehow kill most of them, in two weeks numbers would be back to normal.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sunday 17July, 1453.

The Earl of Shrewsbury John Talbot with an English force of 6000 men defeated the French army at the battle of Castillon in Gascony, marking the end of the Hundred Years War.

Nevertheless the English went on to lose all landholdings in France except Calais.

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Denmark
Sunday 17July, 1453.

The Earl of Shrewsbury John Talbot with an English force of 6000 men defeated the French army at the battle of Castillon in Gascony, marking the end of the Hundred Years War.

Nevertheless the English went on to lose all landholdings in France except Calais.

It was a decisive French victory :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Like twins you say.....and if this Legion Gendarme uniform is legit, then I can see the resemblance! Seriously it's almost exactly like USMC dress blues no?View attachment 6327
I think that where the problem stems from is the Gendarmeries grenade which does, ( to the untrained eye ;)) resemble the legions exploding 7 (seven) flamed grenade

1595128061451.png Gendarmerie

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
but back on track,

It was on this day 1941 that the great man Winston Churchill began his V for victory campaign in collaboration with the BBC, who used the opening bars of Beethoven's 5th (V in Roman numerals) symphony, before sending out coded messages. ... - (dot , dot, dot, dash)being morse code for "V". You can hear the opening bars during the beginning of the movie the 'longest day.'

It was however a Belgian who first started the V for victory campaign: Victor Laveleye. It stemmed from the French resistance who would, to P$ss off the Germans, paint the letters RAF -
Royal Air force- on public buildings occupied by the Germans. It got on their nerves so much that anyone caught painting the RAF were severely dealt with.

In 1940 Laveleye fled to London via France. At the end of July 1940 he received the proposal to take charge of the broadcasts of the BBC that were intended for German-occupied Belgium. On 28 September 1940, the first broadcast of Radio Belgique was aired. In a radio broadcast on 14 January 1941, de Laveleye asked all Belgians to use the letter "V" as a rallying sign, being the first letter of victoire (victory) in French and of vrijheid (freedom) in Dutch.
It was the ideal resistance letter, requiring only two quick slashes with the paint brush.
Victor Laveleye competed for Belgium in tennis at the 1920 and 1924 Summer Olympics . He died shortly after the end of the war on 15th December 1945 aged 51 from a long illness.
(I cannot, for the life of me find out which illness.)