a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One month!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Rouge simply means that the candidate has been accepted by the selection commission and that he has been allocated a service number (matricule). Their selection process has been completed and there are no further administrative tasks pending for them.

These individuals are being kept at the selection center until there is enough candidates to form a platoon for basic training in the 4RE

There are surely nothing "senior" about them, they are at the absolute bottom of the French Foreign Legion food chain.

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
Yes it does mean that. But also when you are engagé volontaire there is a difference if someone just arrived or he is already 4 weeks in Aubagne.
And no. They are not being kept because of the numbers. Rest of the group gets sent to Castel every Thursday as normal and they stay behind for some reasons. Usually medical.
I'm not saying that they heve some bigger rank or something. It is a simple matter of speech. How else would you want me to say that someone is older than me in the Legion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Oleg84

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
You're welcome.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
As far as I know obligatory anonymity returnd in 10/2014. Before that for some years you would need a damn good reason to give them a request to change your name.
Maybe that is the reason he had that option and we didn't...

Changing name was compulsory until September 20 2010 I think. One of my comrades joined on September 10 2010 and was pissed off because he could not get his real name back before the end of his 3rd year of service ! Anyway, I had a good reason to change name ! But they were difficult to convince !

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
I got a very good idea: I will ask them to change the bloody color on the red passant to flipping pink. Will make their mouths smaller and screw up the Internet warriors and their BS advice.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Mr Stoeng, for your service and now Charles.

These young babes are still being suckled by their mothers. Usual thing with little squirts who are members of the internet and play station rangers club.
They are in fact well meaning but tend to regard their elders as living in the stone age. Some of us have in the past got our knees brown in desert or jungle. Also as a we know warrant officers from all regiments are God. Even young subalterns live in fear of them. Sometimes ! lol So youngsters listen to the men in Green and don't aggravate them.

Must dash the boss has come to sort me out. She would put the fear of God into all the young gentlemen.

Charles- Evil, short and brutish.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
I don't mean as a rank as such, just that they had been there longer and had their kit all issued etc

I know my Bonny lad. But this and their "kit"... it's like you and me, we both were 'issued' the "kit", aka male reproduction apparatus, this, placed us a 'males'. Until you actually used it, you weren't a 'man' ( some like to take it up the chocolate turbin, some like to 'piston away' in the turbin, most like giving the ladies a good time), just a 'boy'. Same goes for the enlistment. I arrived on a 14th, signed my 'preliminairy' contract on the 16th, spent 15 days in Aubagne and on the 1st of april, 1983, i were in Castel and i can tell you, i didn't feel like i were any 'old timer', with me 2 weeks.

Buner101

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Does it often occur that someone is given three or more chances, while applying to the Legion?

Buner101

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
Suspected it may be exceptional, but didn't want to assume anything,while asking about FFL just clear it out.

Carnifex

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
What makes is exceptional?. Potential in the candidate?. Why give so many chance, when they can tell you to *uck off. Surely they must see something in a guy to give a third chance to a man. Am I wrong?.

Buner101

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Poland
You have a point Carnifex, they surely see some potential, but it's bit surprising (to me at least) how that person can f up second chance and get another one.

Carnifex

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Now that right there Buner101 raises my eye brows, however, even after a second time, there had to still be something that might have caught their eye?. To dish out a third chance, we all know, or at least as it goes, third time lucky. I am with you on this, third chance seems so rare and must be given to those they see potential?. I have no idea but it would seem that if that guy 666 went in on his third chance, they had to have seen something in the man. At least that is my take. I am not the legion and have no idea what they look for in any man.

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Sweden
Mostly, any candidate may have some minor 'issues' to sort out, be it medical or whatever shite he hauls in his 'past'. The Legion decides, 'get the heck out of here, sort your issues out' and come back in 6 months, a years time. It's all down to the 'candidate' how he handles his 'issues', the rest is story, that no one in the Legion cares about, 'NEXT CANDIDATE'! And life goes on, with, or, without precedent candidate.

Carnifex

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Pretty much the entire post you made buner, it is all a mystery really.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Best answers
Home Country
San Marino
He got sent home twice for 18 months.... what does it mean? We debated that many a time over beers and weights and long runs. But let's just think a bit. The legion sees a young guy who came from a very very very rough background and has had a number of run ins with the law....it's possible they wanted to see some proof that he put it behind him and found a sense of purpose, of stability...a track record of some success in his life before giving a chance and welcoming him fully. Apparently he had something that said he had potential...but also that he needed more.

He went on to make more mistakes and then to really really turn it around and truly pay his dues, commit himself to something and find success before going over for one last shot at the legion. He was always in good shape...but this last time he went in amazing shape, rope climbing, 20 behind the neck pull ups, 30 or 40 regular pullups, mass sprints, jogging, push ups, abs, weights to compliment the body weight focus, a degree, national and state certifications, worked off his probation, zero run ins with the law during that time, fully 100% focused on his degree, his health, his fitness and the overriding goal of returning to the legion...granted he did enjoy the fruits of uni life...bountiful with coeds...haha but that's another story for another time. :D

This should answer your questions. Now...less questions. Either you are going or you are not....no more of this "I'm going to the legion...no wait, I have doubts...I'm not going, no, maybe I am, or not...I don't know...I was just baiting you, but I'll leave the site and lay low....but first let me ask 100 million questions and send everyone PMs beating every question to death because I'm really really really committed to maybe not going or possibly going....I can't tell you, it's a secret." ;)

You want it or you don't. That's the only question. If you want it you will not let anything or anyone deter you and you will go and make yourself proud....that's the ONLY person that you should be concerned with...what the man in the mirror will think of you and if you meet or exceed his expectations. Are you living up to your standards? Are you happy with the man you are?

Enough sitting behind the computer sucking up seat...get out and make it happen....or not.
It all starts or ends with you.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bluntly less talk, less questions more action. Either piss or get off the pot. Simply go for it. Now this may be a surprise but there is too much information floating about on recruitment and selection. That is my opinion and some so-called information is unfounded nonsense.

And I remain a happy dinosaur, but in mitigation, I did also volunteer a long time ago.

99% need not apply. Arguably the hardest of basic training.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most viewed threads of the week