Only 2 weeks left

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
From what I understand, your legion name will have the same initials as your regular name; i.e. a John Smith might become James Shaffer.

Additionally, your legion name will be chosen according to your nationality; my initials are K. M., so being American I might 'become' something like Kevin Martin, but I certainly wouldn't be given the names Kiyoshi Morimoto, Khaled Mahmoud, or Karolus Magnus. Which is too bad, because running around with Charlemagne's name in Latin would be cool as sh$t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
From what I understand, your legion name will have the same initials as your regular name; i.e. a John Smith might become James Shaffer.

Additionally, your legion name will be chosen according to your nationality; my initials are K. M., so being American I might 'become' something like Kevin Martin, but I certainly wouldn't be given the names Kiyoshi Morimoto, Khaled Mahmoud, or Karolus Magnus. Which is too bad, because running around with Charlemagne's name in Latin would be cool as shit.
I got JG, so I might be a Jeffery Green or something. What if I get named Joseph? 😱😱

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Understood. I figured that. I was just curious about the OP's particular story since it seemed to imply that the Legion found out about something without him telling them. Anyways, I got the answers I needed. Thanks!
It could well be that the OP is exaggerating or bearing false witness. The legion has no way of accessing your medical or dental or criminal or school records.
If you say that you did a master's in political science at Science Po, that would be different because Science Po is an outstanding institution. Whereas if you say that you went went to college in, say Bolivia, the 'gestapo' who could be Bolivian may ask you a few questions about the course you took. But the legion does not care.
It's the same as if a Moldavian turns up with a bachelor of arts in some fancy subject, they look at it and put it back in your dossier.
As for the criminal records and the medical records, as Sexpert points, they do not have the time or the resources to check out every/any one. Basically what the legion has before them is what they are going to get.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
It's not always a new name with your previous initials. ..depends on nothing
If you do have any diplômes, bring them or just photo copies
Same as for work expérience, pay slip or contacts
Shows good intent
We are having in France at the moment lots of cases of cases of tuberculose, measles and mumps etc
If you do have a healthy medical record, why not bring that too

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
It's not always a new name with your previous initials. ..depends on nothing
If you do have any diplômes, bring them or just photo copies
Same as for work expérience, pay slip or contacts
Shows good intent
We are having in France at the moment lots of cases of cases of tuberculose, measles and mumps etc
If you do have a healthy medical record, why not bring that too
Well, in that case.... Given a choice, I'd pick something obnoxiously French, archaic, and aristocratic. Jean-Baptiste Baudrau de Gravelines, a vos ordres. 🤣

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Oh, but that would be a subject for another thread --- 'What's in a name", we might call it.

Coolest name I ever came across was Bo Whitekiller. He was from Oklahoma, a Comanche, I think.
I know a gent who was an grunt, left to fight for the YPG (Peshmerga unit that took foreign fighters) in Iraq. Married a lovely lady, named their son Leonidas. Legendary.

Most viewed threads of the week