Only 2 weeks left

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
From what I understand, your legion name will have the same initials as your regular name; i.e. a John Smith might become James Shaffer.

Additionally, your legion name will be chosen according to your nationality; my initials are K. M., so being American I might 'become' something like Kevin Martin, but I certainly wouldn't be given the names Kiyoshi Morimoto, Khaled Mahmoud, or Karolus Magnus. Which is too bad, because running around with Charlemagne's name in Latin would be cool as sh$t.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
From what I understand, your legion name will have the same initials as your regular name; i.e. a John Smith might become James Shaffer.

Additionally, your legion name will be chosen according to your nationality; my initials are K. M., so being American I might 'become' something like Kevin Martin, but I certainly wouldn't be given the names Kiyoshi Morimoto, Khaled Mahmoud, or Karolus Magnus. Which is too bad, because running around with Charlemagne's name in Latin would be cool as shit.
I got JG, so I might be a Jeffery Green or something. What if I get named Joseph? 😱😱

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Understood. I figured that. I was just curious about the OP's particular story since it seemed to imply that the Legion found out about something without him telling them. Anyways, I got the answers I needed. Thanks!
It could well be that the OP is exaggerating or bearing false witness. The legion has no way of accessing your medical or dental or criminal or school records.
If you say that you did a master's in political science at Science Po, that would be different because Science Po is an outstanding institution. Whereas if you say that you went went to college in, say Bolivia, the 'gestapo' who could be Bolivian may ask you a few questions about the course you took. But the legion does not care.
It's the same as if a Moldavian turns up with a bachelor of arts in some fancy subject, they look at it and put it back in your dossier.
As for the criminal records and the medical records, as Sexpert points, they do not have the time or the resources to check out every/any one. Basically what the legion has before them is what they are going to get.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
It's not always a new name with your previous initials. ..depends on nothing
If you do have any diplômes, bring them or just photo copies
Same as for work expérience, pay slip or contacts
Shows good intent
We are having in France at the moment lots of cases of cases of tuberculose, measles and mumps etc
If you do have a healthy medical record, why not bring that too

Crawdad

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
It's not always a new name with your previous initials. ..depends on nothing
If you do have any diplômes, bring them or just photo copies
Same as for work expérience, pay slip or contacts
Shows good intent
We are having in France at the moment lots of cases of cases of tuberculose, measles and mumps etc
If you do have a healthy medical record, why not bring that too
Well, in that case.... Given a choice, I'd pick something obnoxiously French, archaic, and aristocratic. Jean-Baptiste Baudrau de Gravelines, a vos ordres. 🤣

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Oh, but that would be a subject for another thread --- 'What's in a name", we might call it.

Coolest name I ever came across was Bo Whitekiller. He was from Oklahoma, a Comanche, I think.
I know a gent who was an grunt, left to fight for the YPG (Peshmerga unit that took foreign fighters) in Iraq. Married a lovely lady, named their son Leonidas. Legendary.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malaysia
Wht
Hi sami96 and good luck. I'm not too sure if you have noted Pink Floyd's answer to your question regarding paperwork to bring with you. Your passport is all that is needed. Later on in your legion career you will have to provide a birth certificate but don't take one with you, it has to have been issued less than 6 months to be of any use. I'm not sure why.
As for police record, if you can get one in the 10 or so days that you have left, why not. but it is NOT required.
Do not take your driving license. You may need that later on PLD etc. If you like you can take a photocopy, but be careful if they ask you why you don't take the original - no mentioning PLD :eek:.
The legion will teach you how to drive, even if you already know. You will not know the highway code or how to fill in an accident report (in French)... Or for that matter where to put in the brake liquid in a P4.

Remember to get Dusa's telephone number before you go:coffee: otherwise being able to text without a Number is the equivalent of putting a message in a bottle and throwing it into the sea:ROFLMAO:.
What's a PLD?

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Permission longue durée = leave (more than just a 72 hr. .usually, retour from Opex, the Company will recieve a 3 week P.L.D.
You are given a P.L.D. document when you go on one. ..take care of it
Justifies your being. ..
Also, once you return. ..you take it to the trésorière (pay master) and cash in some euros for the meals you hadn't eaten during the that time on P.L.D. in camp

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malaysia
Permission longue durée = leave (more than just a 72 hr. .usually, retour from Opex, the Company will recieve a 3 week P.L.D.
You are given a P.L.D. document when you go on one. ..take care of it
Justifies your being. ..
Also, once you return. ..you take it to the trésorière (pay master) and cash in some euros for the meals you hadn't eaten during the that time on P.L.D. in camp
Wow. I didnt know you can "cash in" the food u didn't eat in camp for being away. That's great military benefits right there!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
If am reasonably correct. ..nowadays, for breakfast, lunch and dinner : it's at least 20€ per day (might be wrong) times the amount of leave you have taken
Usually you return to barracks with a black eye, or two and a broken nose. Totaly skint and next to no clothing. It eases the pain
Anyway, like i always recommend, travel light

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malaysia

Additionally, your legion name will be chosen according to your nationality; my initials are K. M., so being American I might 'become' something like Kevin Martin, but I certainly wouldn't be given the names Kiyoshi Morimoto, Khaled Mahmoud, or Karolus Magnus. Which is too bad, because running around with Charlemagne's name in Latin would be cool as sh$t.
For fun sake, I really doubt they'd give me any name based on my initials coz my initials are E. B. and I am from Malaysia, what name can they whiff up from those initials! Plus my country has 3 major races, Indian Malay and Chinese. My first name is Arabic my last name is British. I am chuckling right now just the thought of a legionnaire'face trying to name me. And my face when I finally get it!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Malaysia
If am reasonably correct. ..nowadays, for breakfast, lunch and dinner : it's at least 20€ per day (might be wrong) times the amount of leave you have taken
Usually you return to barracks with a black eye, or two and a broken nose. Totaly skint and next to no clothing. It eases the pain
Anyway, like i always recommend, travel light
Why the black eye le petite?