a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opération “Barkhane”

enjolras

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
As always, the Legion is leaving their mark... Not different in the Sahel.
No doubt there was nothing to do in the camp and the SOA was bored and decided he was going to ramasse everyone by saying we’re going to make a ****ing Legion flame out of rocks and wire and put in on the wall. The definition of “sketch”.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Le Chef de Corps du 2REP...As I stated before "he's been told to take the fight to the enemy, kill as many as possible".

Attachments

• 20200407_160858.jpg
    20200407_160858.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Chad kills 1,000 jihadists and clears lake hideouts - army
(Yeah, right was my first reaction :unsure: :rolleyes: - Call me St Thomas if you like.)

Chad says it has killed 1,000 jihadists in an operation in the Lake Chad area against the Islamist militant group Boko Haram.

Army spokesman Col Azem Agouna said 52 Chadian soldiers were killed during the six-day battle, known as Bohoma’s Anger.

President Idriss Deby has visited Lake Chad. He said not a single Boko Haram fighter remains on the islands where the jihadists had their hideouts.

He said it was regrettable that Chad had been left on its own to fight on the lake, a vast marshy area where the borders of Nigeria, Niger, Cameroon and Chad converge.

The offensive was launched after suspected Islamists last month killed nearly 100 Chadian troops during a seven-hour attack on an island base.

There has been no independent confirmation and Boko Haram has not commented on the claims.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/world/africa/mali-french-foreign-legion.html

The writer of this article was riding along with the Legion in Chad before the big pandemic and before the amazing killing of "1000 jihadist's". Nice little read.

On the topic of Chad and operation Barkhane, I read another article saying that Chad would no longer lend troops to fight outside of Chad...I wonder how that will affect troops from coming in. But I guess if they're killing the enemy by the hundreds than they don't have much to worry about...or, they've corrupted the leadership?

Here is the article:

Chad says will stop taking part in regional anti-jihad operations
AFP
April 10, 2020, 11:55 am
No more foreign missions (AFP Photo/-)

No more foreign missions (AFP Photo/-)
N'Djamena (AFP) - Chadian President Idriss Deby Itno has said his country's troops, who have been deployed to fight jihadists in the Lake Chad region and the Sahel, will no longer take part in military operations outside national borders.
"Our troops have died for Lake Chad and the Sahel. From today, no Chadian soldiers will take part in a military mission outside Chad," he told national TV in Arabic on Thursday. His remarks were broadast in French on Friday.
His remarks coincided with the end of a major offensive by Chad's armed forces against Boko Haram jihadists but also frustration at perceived failures by allies to do more in the fight.

On Thursday, the armed forces said they had wound up an operation against Boko Haram in the Lake Chad region, saying 52 troops had been lost and a thousand jihadists killed.
That operation was launched after 98 Chadian troops were killed in a Boko Haram raid on a base at Bohoma in the lake's marshlands on March 23 -- the biggest one-day military loss in the country's history.
Lake Chad is a vast body of water where the borders of Niger, Nigeria, Chad and Cameroon meet.

Its western shores have been hit by jihadists crossing from northeastern Nigeria, where Boko Haram launched a bloody campaign of violence in 2009.
The implications of Deby's remarks for Chad's wider military involvement were not immediately clear.
The four countries bordering the lake on 2015 set up a formation called the Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), also including Benin, to fight Boko Haram.
But Chad, whose armed forces are relatively prestigious in the Sahel, has shown frustration with the MNJTF following the Bohoma losses.
"Chad is alone in shouldering all the burden of the war against Boko Haram," Idriss publicly complained last weekend.
In announcing the end of the offensive on Thursday, the army said its troops had expelled jihadists from Chadian soil and had advanced deep into Niger and Nigeria.
Deby said that he had warned those countries that his forces would move out of bases seized there from the jihadists by April 22, regardless of whether their armed forces moved in or not.
Chadian troops are also part of the so-called G5 Sahel force -- a French-backed scheme to pool 5,000 troops from Burkina Faso, Chad, Mali, Mauritania and Niger to roll back jihadism in the Sahel.

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Tom for whom, the Commando Marines or the two knobbers who caused the death of two very fine soldiers.
Before they went on their little adventure - something to tell their bourgeois friends how they spent their Easter break-, the French government had sent out a warning to anyone travelling in the district to be extremely careful because...
They got a hero's welcome when they arrived back, Le Drian, who was minister of defense at the time, went to meet them personally as they got off the plane sent by tax payers, 👿
BTW. I know for whom you were offering your Respect.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi Tom for whom, the Commando Marines or the two knobbers who caused the death of two very fine soldiers.
Before they went on their little adventure - something to tell their bourgeois friends how they spent their Easter break-, the French government had sent out a warning to anyone travelling in the district to be extremely careful because...
They got a hero's welcome when they arrived back, Le Drian, who was minister of defense at the time, went to meet them personally as they got off the plane sent by tax payers, 👿
BTW. I know for whom you were offering your Respect.
It's like the sheep dog analogy....most people are sheep, then there are wolves that prey on the sheep, then there are the sheep dogs who will die to protect the sheep.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
OOOPS !

Before opening up the thread and looking at the video. I'd like you to take a moment to consider what it is like working along these people. Fortunately the tanker was not full. Thankfully the missile had missed the C 130. Unfortunately there were innocent lives lost.

Crawdad

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You know, I hate to hear that innocent lives were lost. In a combat zone, stupid mistakes are often fatal. But, I know what you mean about working alongside people from developing countries, from personal experience.
Don't get me wrong, I genuinely love Iraqis as a people. They're generally brave to a fault, and are incredibly hospitable, when they're not actively trying to kill you. If educated, they're no less intelligent than any other people. But... The less educated Iraqi is capable of profound, mind-boggling stupidity. I could write a novella on dumb things I've seen them do. Call it "une bande de 'bananiers'", peut être.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
OOOPS !
Before opening up the thread and looking at the video. I'd like you to take a moment to consider what it is like working along these people. Fortunately the tanker was not full. Thankfully the missile had missed the C 130. Unfortunately there were innocent lives lost.

I would agree with you Joe that most African and Middle-Eastern armies can't compare by any means with other "real" armies when came down to stupid mistakes like this, but Western (or Russian, Chinese and other more serious armies). Have their share of stupid mistakes. We don't hear much of them because they would do everything in their power to cover up mistakes like that which would show them in bad lights.
Still some things happening down in Africa ... can't really compare with anyone. :)

You know, I hate to hear that innocent lives were lost. In a combat zone, stupid mistakes are often fatal. But, I know what you mean about working alongside people from developing countries, from personal experience.
Don't get me wrong, I genuinely love Iraqis as a people. They're generally brave to a fault, and are incredibly hospitable, when they're not actively trying to kill you. If educated, they're no less intelligent than any other people. But... The less educated Iraqi is capable of profound, mind-boggling stupidity. I could write a novella on dumb things I've seen them do. Call it "une bande de 'bananiers'", peut être.
I heard Jocko Willink talking about working with Iraqis. He was trying to explain to guy (through translator) to check third (or some one-figure number) door on left side of street translator for saying back to him that guy doesn't know numbers, don't know to count. :). That was maybe idiocy in army at its best, or maybe guy was just playing stupid because he didn't want risking life by entering that door.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Brigadier Dmytro Martynyouk of 1er REC was KIA by an IED in the Liptako region in Mali... Another légionnaire cavalier was wounded. R.I.P.

N.B. : Brigadier in the Cavalry units and some other branches in the French army is a rank corresponding to corporal.

Attachments

• 599052E7-C6C6-4125-82EF-E0CCE196B945.jpeg
    599052E7-C6C6-4125-82EF-E0CCE196B945.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 8
  • F3F4AC8F-CB88-4B05-B421-A8C10418987B.jpeg
    F3F4AC8F-CB88-4B05-B421-A8C10418987B.jpeg
    315.1 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Brigadier Dmytro Martynyouk of 1er REC was KIA by an IED in the Liptako region in Mali... Another légionnaire cavalier was wounded. R.I.P.

N.B. : Brigadier in the Cavalry units and some other branches in the French army is a rank corresponding to corporal.
RIP...I believe it says he operated in the AMX10RC in Djibouti. Does it say if he was still in the AMX10RC when the IED went off or was he in a VBL or on foot?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
RIP...I believe it says he operated in the AMX10RC in Djibouti. Does it say if he was still in the AMX10RC when the IED went off or was he in a VBL or on foot?
It says that during the end of the afternoon on the 23rd the truck bowser he was in struck an IED. I can only presume that it was a water bowser.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Legionnaire 1CL Kévin Clément of 1er REC was killed in Mali after a firefight against armed terrorists (shot in the head)... Separate incident than that of brigadier Martynyouk.

Attachments

• 33107DC3-5E7F-43E1-BB4B-8AB3731ECA6A.jpeg
    33107DC3-5E7F-43E1-BB4B-8AB3731ECA6A.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 8944F744-E2D2-4358-BA6A-B8827A74A614.jpeg
    8944F744-E2D2-4358-BA6A-B8827A74A614.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 6

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Legionnaire 1CL Kévin Clément of 1er REC was killed in Mali after a firefight against armed terrorists (shot in the head)... Separate incident than that of brigadier Martynyouk.
My God! Although that is extremely tragic, if his number was up, what a way to go ! In a firefight. I can only imagine how proud his colleagues and the regiment are of him.
R.I.P.