Opération “Barkhane”

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
A very sad day for the French army.

The victims were from these regiments:
• 5e Régiment d’hélicoptères de combat (Pau)
• 4e Régiment de chasseurs (Gap)
• 93e Régiment d’artillerie de montagne (Varces)
• 2e Régiment étranger de génie (St-Christol)
Yes indeed. The incident occurred last night and was announced in the late morning today.
The personnel from 5e RHC were the crews of the 2 helicopters (one attack helicopter “Tiger” and one transport helicopter “Cougar”). The other soldiers were Mountain Commandos of the GCM (Groupement de Commandos de Montagne) belonging to various regiments of 27e BIM (Brigade d’Infanterie de Montagne, Mountain Infantry Brigade).
The MoD published their names :
• Capt Nicolas MÉGARD, 5e RHC
• Capt Benjamin GIREUD, 5e RHC
• Capt Clément FRISONROCHE, 5e RHC
• Lt Alex MORISSE, 5e RHC
• Lt Pierre BOCKEL, 5e RHC
• ACh Julien CARETTE, 5e RHC
• BCh Romain SALLES DE SAINT-PAUL, 5e RHC
• Capt Romain CHOMEL DE JARNIEU, 4e RCh
• MDC Alexandre PROTIN, 4e RCh
• MDL Antoine SERRE, 4e RCh
• MDL Valentin DUVAL, 4e RCh
• MDC Jérémy LEUSIE, 93e RAM
• SCH Andreï JOUK, 2e REG

May they rest in peace.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
One of the soldiers killed, Lt Pierre Bockel, was the son of senator Jean-Marie Bockel, former minister and former mayor of Mulhouse (one of the two big cities, along with Strasbourg, of the Alsace region, East of France, near the border with Germany and Switzerland).

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
Qui sont les treize militaires français morts au Mali ? Article in French.

OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand

A long winded account of, as the title says, why France is focused on fighting jihadists in Mali. One of the points that stand out is that France want to get more European forces to help in the G5 Sahel conflict. I doubt it, the Brits are helping with with helicopter, the US with drones etc. The Germans are training the FAMa. Whether the Brits have special forces over there, well we'll just have to wait until someone writes a book.

This sentence had me smiling - it's either that or crying:
"They [G5 Sahel] are desperate for more international funding and equipment for their own 5,000-strong joint force."
More funding? :)
When I was working for G4S in Mali, we used to get radio antennas and radio batteries from the the FAMa. Once a captain came into my office with a selection of samples of things he had to offer. One of which was an OB 42 which is night vision Binos. One of his arguments de vente or selling pitches if you prefer, was that they are currently being used by the French army in the North (of mali).
Of course there would be no point in issuing them to G4S guards, but it did interest me. But then I got a mental glimpse of explaining to the customs at the airport what I was doing with a pair of French military night binoculars. I asked the captain how he would explain that there was an OB 42 missing, he just laughed and said that they go missing all the time. I insisted. He just shrugged and said that he would say that they had been taken by the jihads in the North. I was thinking how unlikely that would be if they were in my suitcase.

Peter Lyderik

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Denmark
Thousands gather in Paris to mourn 13 French soldiers

Most viewed threads of the week