Opération “Barkhane”

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Re-supply by air from an altitude of 400 metres near the Mali-Niger border.
Hats off to the French Air Force. Considered “normal“ for them but we both know better. I’ve been in the bloody middle of nowhere, desert/ jungle you name it. When the crap hit the fan those pilots were cool as cucumbers and when we desperately needed supplies they didn’t hesitate, came back time and time again. Some of the best in the business as far as I’m concerned!

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
I'm not too sure, the ex-repman and Rapace will definitely know, doesn't the French Army/Airforce use large cargo parachutes? Just trying to understand why you'd use multiple static line parachutes instead of 1 or 2 big cargo chutes like below:

images (12).jpeg

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I'm not too sure, the ex-repman and Rapace will definitely know, doesn't the French Army/Airforce use large cargo parachutes? Just trying to understand why you'd use multiple static line parachutes instead of 1 or 2 big cargo chutes like below:

View attachment 5954
Good question. Probably is cheaper this way, If they use old personal parachutes.

I feel sorry for the Rigger that had to setup those parachutes....
Wow, it's about 20 chutes per box on that picture. If you have to pick up supplies quickly ... You are in trouble unless you leave chutes there.

Last edited:

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Source : Le Monde
Peace negotiations only if the French Army leaves Mali...
The article from newspaper Le Monde (in French). The title says “a jihadist group accepts to negotiation provided the French Army leaves”. Looks like a trick IMO.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
The French Army has deployed the ASTRIDE T3 transmission system for the first time in the Sahel
1584021051950.png

Engaged since the end of January in the Niger liptako, the Desert Tactical Grouping [GTD] "Altor", armed mainly by the legionaries of the 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment [REP] " nomadized " for a month in this region, in order to isolate armed terrorist groups [GAT] affiliated with the Islamic State in the Greater Sahara [EIGS] of their resources.

If the results obtained by the legionaries during this operation were obviously underlined by the General Staff of the armies [EMA] in its last point of situation, the fact remains that the transmitters played an important role.

Within the Barkhane force, which operates in a region as large as Europe, communications are essential. This requires the proper functioning of radio links and information and communications systems. A dedicated unit is also assigned to it, with the joint “transmission group” [GTRS].

The latter assures Barkhane "its informational supremacy and supports its ability to command and act in the Sahelo-Saharan region", notes the EMA. And to explain: "By the networks which it implements and the capacities which it deploys, this grouping, present on all the bases of the force, allows the transmission and the processing of information in all its forms, such as air coordination, operational planning, the conduct of air-land operations or the conduct and support of joint operations. "

The operation led by GTD Altor in the Nigerian Liptako will therefore have been the opportunity to implement, for the first time in the Sahel, the VAB [Armored Forward Vehicle] T3 “ASTRIDE” [for “Satellite Access and by Hertzian Transmission to the Zone Network and the Battle Space Intranet ”].

During an operation, the GTRS makes a mobile command post [PC MOB] available to a battle group, generally composed of three VABs [SI for Information System, CTH / SIO for CARTHAGE / Information Systems Operational and T3].

Brick of the SCORPION program [Synergy of the COntact Reinforced by Versatility and Info enhancement], ASTRIDE is a system which, working with the SYRACUSE satellites [Radiocommunication system using a satellite], allows to exchange, in a secure way, a stream very important data [photos and videos in high definition for example] thanks to a high speed link.

"Conducting the maneuver of ground units, liaising with aircraft pilots, sharing information on the progress of the operation constitute the vital functions fulfilled" by VAB T3 ASTRIDE "for the benefit of the tactical command post of the 'Altor' grouping, 'points out the EMA.

He added that the ASTRIDE T3 version of the VAB therefore made it possible to ensure the "permanence of tactical communications" of legionaries engaged in remote operation from French bases, under conditions where other means of communication would have reached their limits. "

The deployment of this system in the Sahel will have been fortuitous since it was until then in the course of experimentation with the French Forces in Ivory Coast, where were the units called to reinforce Barkhane after the summit of Pau of last January.

“In the future, the ASTRIDE T3 VAB, via its high-performance satellite link, will help to reassemble and enhance the information for exploitation for the benefit of the tactical maneuver. It will also allow faster decision-making, an objective sought in the context of the Scorpion program, as soon as it is fully deployed in the Sahelo-Saharan strip, ”specifies the EMA.

Sorry Tom, but I thought that if there were any 'Likes" up for grabs, first come first served, Sorry mate.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Do me a favour, Tom ?
Go to Opex 360 and look for...''L' armée de terre a déployé le système de transmission ASTRIDE T3 pour la première fois au Sahel''
Do on sort that the link incluses your one as it is a follow up...Ta, le petit Caporal
Thanks for reminding me about Opex 360, great main source for info to stay up on.

OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Although it's 2017, however it is with subtitles in English.
A little word of precision the 2 mins. Where it shows the itinerary of the flight. It's a long way to go. The reason is quite simple, Algeria, which still receives enormous amounts of aid (money) from France refuses the French to Fly over their territory. They have even denied them a 'couloir', or corridor, which they would have to respect. Bravo l'Algerie.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
There is a video embedded in this article link showing the Legion. Operation Barkhane.

https://www.parismatch.com/Actu/International/Au-feu-avec-la-legion-etrangere-1680079
ffs...the bloke didn’t have a clue what to do during the stoppage of the mounted Belge FN MAG (was the safety off). Thank goodness it wasn’t a large scale ambush. I’d take the clown down the range for a day switching him from number 1, to number 2 on the gun. Luckily, he didn’t shoot himself getting the FAMAS on target...or any of the TV crew! The FN MAG 7.62 is the best thing to ever come out of Belgium (no it’s not Jean-Claude Van Damme) 😆

Last edited:
OP
Joseph Cosgrove

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
ffs...the bloke didn’t have a clue what to do during the stoppage of the mounted Belge FN MAG (was the safety off). Thank goodness it wasn’t a large scale ambush. I’d take the clown down the range for a day switching him from number 1, to number 2 on the gun. Luckily, he didn’t shoot himself getting the FAMAS on target...or any of the TV crew! The FN MAG 7.62 is the best thing to ever come out of Belgium (no it’s not Jean-Claude Van Damme) 😆
Perhaps someone should have thought about putting on a more experienced gunner on the FN. I mean the report /doc does say that they are scouts 15 clicks in front of a convoy. BTW, does everyone get this in English? Not the video obviously, but the write up?