a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opération “Barkhane”

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm dead against these polls, I have never in all my time in France been asked one single time my opinion about anything. The One and Only time I can identify with a poll was when Erika was asked about her choice of Icecream between 5 different marks.
I'm sure that it isn't just the French who like to put out their stats, which is usually along the lines of :
We asked 2 053 people between the ages of 17.5 and 57 whether they are favorable with continuing Barkhane, 51% were not.

As for the military, they have no choice as they signed up.

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Netherlands
Source: Le Point
More than half of the french (51%) are not favorable in continuing Barkhane
Probably because it costs the French taxpayer a lot of money they like to see spent otherwise and because of the death of French soldiers (especially now a woman).
My guess is that if only the Legion was there the French people would have cared less.

like the old days: France sends the Legion to a dangerous place to fight, the world and the UN/world praises the French government for being (one of) the first or only one to sent troops and if some get killed nobody in France cares since they were not actual French citizens but foreign legionnaires.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Most of the dead and wounded in Barkhane are logistics...
Agree upon that for France, it's better for her that it be legionnaires and not regulars who (croak) and it's cheaper
It's always been as such
The reason we were created

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
O don't think there is much difference if regular French soldier or legionnaire die today. Maybe had before, but not much today. News headlines just say "French soldier killed".

But "Mother of young child killed" ... believe me that resonate much, much differently. And besides all things we talked about here this would result in some changes,
Simply because it would cost Macarons administration a lot of votes. I don't understand how no one here didn't notice that side of coin.
Even hard core feminist and equality people would be on their asses on this case. Mostly because they truly want only positive sides of equality.