a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Opération “Barkhane”

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm dead against these polls, I have never in all my time in France been asked one single time my opinion about anything. The One and Only time I can identify with a poll was when Erika was asked about her choice of Icecream between 5 different marks.
I'm sure that it isn't just the French who like to put out their stats, which is usually along the lines of :
We asked 2 053 people between the ages of 17.5 and 57 whether they are favorable with continuing Barkhane, 51% were not.

As for the military, they have no choice as they signed up.

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
Source: Le Point
More than half of the french (51%) are not favorable in continuing Barkhane
Probably because it costs the French taxpayer a lot of money they like to see spent otherwise and because of the death of French soldiers (especially now a woman).
My guess is that if only the Legion was there the French people would have cared less.

like the old days: France sends the Legion to a dangerous place to fight, the world and the UN/world praises the French government for being (one of) the first or only one to sent troops and if some get killed nobody in France cares since they were not actual French citizens but foreign legionnaires.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Most of the dead and wounded in Barkhane are logistics...
Agree upon that for France, it's better for her that it be legionnaires and not regulars who (croak) and it's cheaper
It's always been as such
The reason we were created

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
O don't think there is much difference if regular French soldier or legionnaire die today. Maybe had before, but not much today. News headlines just say "French soldier killed".

But "Mother of young child killed" ... believe me that resonate much, much differently. And besides all things we talked about here this would result in some changes,
Simply because it would cost Macarons administration a lot of votes. I don't understand how no one here didn't notice that side of coin.
Even hard core feminist and equality people would be on their asses on this case. Mostly because they truly want only positive sides of equality.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

Mali and French troops kill 100 jihadists in offensive​

eaee13d8-2c49-4c64-ab1a-e1436204b85d.jpg

BBC World Service
1611801526794.png
Getty ImagesCopyright: Getty Images
Malian and French troops have a long-running operation to stop jihadists Image caption: Malian and French troops have a long-running operation to stop jihadists
The army in Mali says it has killed 100 jihadists in a joint offensive with French forces.
In a statement, Mali's military said another 20 Islamist insurgents were captured in the operation, which ran throughout January.
Militants control large parts of the Sahel desert region.
Since an Islamist insurgency erupted in northern Mali in 2012 the violence there has spread to neighbouring Niger and Burkina Faso.
France has more than 5,000 military personnel in the region as part of a long-running operation intended to stop violence by Islamist militants.
Read more:
Article share tools

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Following the N'Djamena G5 Sahel summit, Chadian president Idriss Deby decided to send 1,200 troops to the 3 frontiers zone. No downsizing of French forces in the immediate.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Thé Chadian président, Idriss Déby was killed earlier today by rebels.if true this heavy crap

The question which arises is what on earth was he doing on the front line ?
Chad is one of my old stamping grounds, so it does come as a bit of a sucker punch. Like all Africans who have been in power for so long, he was a dictator. But it is unfortunate to say that it is necessary in these countries.
His son will probably take over the dictatorship.

The UN are completely useless, they won't even leave their bastions. They are just sitting around making lots of money and waiting for their time to go home.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
His son, M. Kaka, has been proclaimed succesor....for thé now
You Can bet that others are not happy with this
A lutte du pouvoir IS in the making
How will this affect opération Barkhane, IS any buddies guess

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand

I received this from Ossie O. to be quite honest I knew about it from the French news. Why didn't I bother to share it with you? Because to be quite honest, I don't think that there are many people who are interested. It seems to me that most of you who join the forum are more interested in what you can get out of the legion as opposed to what you can put in.

Emmanuel Macron announces the end of Operation Barkhane in the Sahel (google translate)​

The announcement had leaked a few tens of minutes before it was formalized. French President Emmanuel Macron has just announced the end of the anti-jihadist operation Barkhane, especially in Mali, the scene of a new coup. This is a "profound transformation" of the French military presence in the Sahel, said the head of state during a press conference. This should be based on "an international alliance bringing together the States of the region". Consultations will be held soon with the Americans and Europeans for a result "by the end of June".
These announcements are part of the political will already outlined by the Head of State to reduce the French military presence in the area in the medium term . He advocates a “change of model”, to “allow an operation to support the armies of countries which so desire and the implementation of an international alliance focused on the fight against terrorism”. The details of these announcements should be unveiled soon, as part of the coalition for the Sahel.
“Obviously France is not intended to stay in the Sahel forever (…). It is likely that the Barkhane device should be adapted, ”declared for his part shortly before the French Minister of Foreign Affairs, Jean-Yves Le Drian, traveling to Abidjan, without further details. French military engagement in the Sahel was on the menu for a Defense Council meeting on Wednesday. Paris is deploying some 5,100 soldiers against jihadists affiliated with the Islamic State (IS) group and al-Qaeda, a major support for the weakened armies of the Sahel states who are struggling to fight them alone.
Ag Ghali, objective number one
In mid-February, during a summit in N'Djamena with G5 Sahel partners (Chad, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Mauritania), the French president postponed the expected decision to initiate the withdrawal of Barkhane, while confirming an evolution "beyond the summer". He then promised "reinforced action" to "try to go and decapitate the organizations" linked to Al-Qaeda and ISIS. France has achieved tangible successes against the Islamic State in the Great Sahara (EIGS) and the organizations affiliated to Al-Qaeda grouped together within the GSIM (Support Group for Islam and Muslims), without however halting the jihadist spiral. .

Video: Emmanuel Macron announces the end of Operation Barkhane in the Sahel (Dailymotion)
With the approach of the presidential election of 2022, this long-term military effort also raises growing questions in France, while 50 soldiers have been killed in action since 2013. The head of the GSIM, Iyad Ag Ghaly, responsible for very numerous attacks in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger , now appears to be Barkhane's priority objective. “Clearly, today, it is Iyad Ag Ghali who is the number one priority (…). For us, he is the person who must absolutely succeed in capturing, or even neutralize if it is not possible to capture him, in the coming months ”, underlined the commander of special operations, General Eric Vidaud, on June 3. on the France 24 channel.
The situation has become more complicated in recent weeks with the brutal death of President Idriss Déby in Chad, and especially the second coup d'état in nine months in Mali, the central country of Operation Barkhane. The political upheavals in Mali raise the question of the French presence all the more as some of the Malian leaders wish to start a negotiation process with certain jihadist groups, an approach to which Paris is opposed.
Appeal to Europeans
France has already announced the freezing of its joint operations with the Malian army to condemn the coup d'état and supports international pressure exerted by ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States) and the Union. Africa to urge the Malian authorities to organize a transition to civilian power and elections in 2022.
Operation Barkhane has several bases in Mali, some of which could be closed in the medium term, according to two sources. By 2023, the French workforce should turn around 2,500 people according to one of these sources. Two of them also mentioned a possible summit of different European countries to discuss the future of military engagement in the Sahel. Paris is counting on the “internationalization” of the combat support effort of local, under-equipped and under-trained forces.
France is particularly counting on the rise of the group of European special forces Takuba, which it initiated and which today brings together 600 men in Mali, half of whom are French, as well as a few dozen Estonians and Czechs and nearly 140 Swedes . Italy has promised up to 200 soldiers, Denmark a hundred and several other countries, including Greece, Hungary and Serbia, have expressed their interest. But after the second coup d'état in May in Mali, France has for the time being frozen this combat support mission of the Malian armed forces.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I received this from Ossie O. to be quite honest I knew about it from the French news. Why didn't I bother to share it with you? Because to be quite honest, I don't think that there are many people who are interested. It seems to me that most of you who join the forum are more interested in what you can get out of the legion as opposed to what you can put in.
Could not have put it better myself.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia

Emmanuel Macron announces the end of Operation Barkhane in the Sahel (google translate)​

The announcement had leaked a few tens of minutes before it was formalized. French President Emmanuel Macron has just announced the end of the anti-jihadist operation Barkhane, especially in Mali, the scene of a new coup. This is a "profound transformation" of the French military presence in the Sahel, said the head of state during a press conference. This should be based on "an international alliance bringing together the States of the region". Consultations will be held soon with the Americans and Europeans for a result "by the end of June".
These announcements are part of the political will already outlined by the Head of State to reduce the French military presence in the area in the medium term . He advocates a “change of model”, to “allow an operation to support the armies of countries which so desire and the implementation of an international alliance focused on the fight against terrorism”. The details of these announcements should be unveiled soon, as part of the coalition for the Sahel.
“Obviously France is not intended to stay in the Sahel forever (…). It is likely that the Barkhane device should be adapted, ”declared for his part shortly before the French Minister of Foreign Affairs, Jean-Yves Le Drian, traveling to Abidjan, without further details. French military engagement in the Sahel was on the menu for a Defense Council meeting on Wednesday. Paris is deploying some 5,100 soldiers against jihadists affiliated with the Islamic State (IS) group and al-Qaeda, a major support for the weakened armies of the Sahel states who are struggling to fight them alone.
Ag Ghali, objective number one
In mid-February, during a summit in N'Djamena with G5 Sahel partners (Chad, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Mauritania), the French president postponed the expected decision to initiate the withdrawal of Barkhane, while confirming an evolution "beyond the summer". He then promised "reinforced action" to "try to go and decapitate the organizations" linked to Al-Qaeda and ISIS. France has achieved tangible successes against the Islamic State in the Great Sahara (EIGS) and the organizations affiliated to Al-Qaeda grouped together within the GSIM (Support Group for Islam and Muslims), without however halting the jihadist spiral. .

Video: Emmanuel Macron announces the end of Operation Barkhane in the Sahel (Dailymotion)
With the approach of the presidential election of 2022, this long-term military effort also raises growing questions in France, while 50 soldiers have been killed in action since 2013. The head of the GSIM, Iyad Ag Ghaly, responsible for very numerous attacks in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger , now appears to be Barkhane's priority objective. “Clearly, today, it is Iyad Ag Ghali who is the number one priority (…). For us, he is the person who must absolutely succeed in capturing, or even neutralize if it is not possible to capture him, in the coming months ”, underlined the commander of special operations, General Eric Vidaud, on June 3. on the France 24 channel.
The situation has become more complicated in recent weeks with the brutal death of President Idriss Déby in Chad, and especially the second coup d'état in nine months in Mali, the central country of Operation Barkhane. The political upheavals in Mali raise the question of the French presence all the more as some of the Malian leaders wish to start a negotiation process with certain jihadist groups, an approach to which Paris is opposed.
Appeal to Europeans
France has already announced the freezing of its joint operations with the Malian army to condemn the coup d'état and supports international pressure exerted by ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States) and the Union. Africa to urge the Malian authorities to organize a transition to civilian power and elections in 2022.
Operation Barkhane has several bases in Mali, some of which could be closed in the medium term, according to two sources. By 2023, the French workforce should turn around 2,500 people according to one of these sources. Two of them also mentioned a possible summit of different European countries to discuss the future of military engagement in the Sahel. Paris is counting on the “internationalization” of the combat support effort of local, under-equipped and under-trained forces.
France is particularly counting on the rise of the group of European special forces Takuba, which it initiated and which today brings together 600 men in Mali, half of whom are French, as well as a few dozen Estonians and Czechs and nearly 140 Swedes . Italy has promised up to 200 soldiers, Denmark a hundred and several other countries, including Greece, Hungary and Serbia, have expressed their interest. But after the second coup d'état in May in Mali, France has for the time being frozen this combat support mission of the Malian armed forces.
Thanks Joe Cos. There was a time when the Legion was all about stages/ courses and outre mer/company tours. Best regards to all the Anciens on the forum...Legio Patria Nostra.

Last edited: