Owning a vehicle in the Legion

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Spoke to a friend of mine in 2 REP yesterday, the Legion has now changed the conditions of buying and owning a car whilst serving. Previously you couldn't own a car in your first 5 years, now as long as you have 3 years service and have the rank of Corporal, you are allowed to buy a car with your company commander's permission of course.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I suppose that there is the condition that you have to have been rectified, in other words that you have to have gotten your original name back. The fact that you have to go in front of the captain is for that reason, and also to find out how you are going to pay for it. I mean if you are a Romanian and everyone in your village is going to the market in a donkey drawn cart, you will look the like the king of petrol when you draw up with a Merc or a BM, but remember that getting it on HP and not coming back to the legion isn't going to look too good.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Spoke to a friend of mine in 2 REP yesterday, the legion has now changed the conditions of buying and owning a car whilst serving. Previously you couldn't own a car in your first 5 years, now as long as you have 3 years service and have the rank of Corporal, you are allowed to buy a car with your company commanders permission of course.
That is interesting and good news (for those who will join). I think I saw that in past on some doco. Guy is asking for permission to buy a car and saying that he serving 3y. Do you also need to ask permission after 5 y or you can just buy car?
I mean if you are a Romanian and everyone in your village is going to the market in a donkey drawn cart, you will look the like the king of petrol when you draw up with a Merc or a BM,
Im getting your point Joe and I think that you have scenes from Borat movie when you say "donkey drawn cart". That scene was BTW filmed in some Romanian village. Some F-up part of Romania because parts I'm living next to don't look that at all. In fact there's nice big restaurant hold by Romanian in my town. Place is really big and for weekend you can really enter without reservation. Its packed with Romanians coming from closest Romanian near border town. Believe me Joe, cars parked in front are far from donkey carriage. I get ashamed with my Dacia Duster (which is ironically made in Romanian :))

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I suppose that all ties in with the 3 years of service and rank of Corporal, because from what I understand you must be rectified before going on Corporal's Stage?
That would be a far cry from my days then. It took me 4.5 years to get rectified. When I was at Castel the adjudant company didn't get rectified until he had 18 years of service.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Why buy a car when you can hot wire one, seriously?
Take a deep breath and a reality check, Monsieur

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Nothing to be ashamed of Dusa

The dusaboss mobile:

View attachment 6294
That's not Dacia Duster Joe. :). Its this 2012 model :

Duster.jpg

But still I have may fair share of shame because I'm also driving Zastava 101 which is basically just version of more famous (infamous :)) Yugo . More precisely Yugo is Version of Zastava 101 because 101 is build first based Fiat 128 which was not bad for Early 70s when is first made. but in 2020 ... :(

Kec.jpg

In case you wonder, no that's not me next to car.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dusaboss,

You have never anything to be ashamed of. Simply stay comfortable within yourself and enjoy life.(y)

I know it is not you by the car. You are much more handsome.;)

Stay safe.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
As long as its got wheels, an engine and you don't have to walk.
No its not Snafu. :) Sometimes I get so pissed with my Zastava that walking is better option. When won't start on cold day, when you repair one thing and other 2 get broken, when comfort is just wishful thinking ... I can go on and on
You have never anything to be ashamed of. Simply stay comfortable within yourself and enjoy life.(y)
Stay safe.
As I said it's hard to stay both safe and comfortable while driving Zastava. :) Only why that car passed vehicle inspection it's because someone have connections and safety in Serbia or still not on satisfying level. That car should be on roads!

That car is designed in 69! and they didn't change almost anything until 2008. when, thanks god, last series of those are made. In fact those early versions where much better than newer.
And yes I'm ashamed and I should be ashamed. That car should be driven by anyone unless in case of emergency.Hopefully those are last months i'm driving it. I would never buy it in first place if it was my call, but my father wanted new car, and he had money only for that junk, so ... that's it. Now I'm stuck with it (not for long).

And yes I am handsome! :) But Brad Pitt in Zastava would had trouble to get girls. You won't belief difference on how many girls look at me when I'm driving Duster (which is not some expensive car at all) and how many of probably some girls don't give a F when I'm in my Zastava.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Duster is Dacia, Roumania...owned by Renault
Also, the latest models come in G.P.L. , Liquid Gaz... versions. 30 p.c. cheaper than petrol..
Here in France any way