a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parcours du combattant

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Here is a clip to give you an idea of the type of training that you will be doing in the French army. I say French army because the parcours du combattant is standard. The major's name name is not Gérald, that is his first name. He was in the Centre Amphibie 3e Cie before becoming a Sgt and getting posted to the Gym. I last saw him in Aubagne as an adjudant.

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Saying I can't watch the video for some reason but I'll have a search after work to see if I can find it elsewhere.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Joseph, was that a competition something like that between major Gérald and parkour guy? Parkour is a good sport to prepare you for army obstacle course. No matter that some guys here said that is a stupid sport. :)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
From what I can gather, this Parkour guy seems to be well known guy on the circuit. I saw a bunch of them did some of the obstacle course ; tarzan assault, and then they taught the RM “club swingers”, physical training instructors, how to go over urban obstacles.
The major in question was the son and grandson of military sport instructors. One of them (if my memory serves me right) was a world military pentathlon champion. He joined at 17.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Saw the vid a few months ago and all I can honestly say is it is “staged”, to a certain extent! The Legion had to win.
Tarzan course = piste d'audace ?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Saw the vid a few months ago and all I can honestly say is it is “staged”, to a certain extent! The Legion had to win.
Tarzan course = piste d'audace ?
These are two different armies. The Legion parcours du combattant was at Carpiagne (where 1er RE also use the ranges) and the other one was with the Royal Marines in Lympstone.

Rapace

Reaction score
Home Country
France
(...) The Legion parcours du combattant was at Carpiagne (where 1er RE also use the ranges) (...)
Carpiagne (East of Marseille) is also, primarily, the new base of 1er REC, since they've left Orange.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I did my transport en commun licence (bus drivers course) there. It's stuck in the garrigue, not far from the sea. Costs a fortune for taxis.