a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paris arrondissements

ace_compton

Reaction score
Ok, here's the deal,

I'm leaving New Zealand in January 2005 for France, i will be flying into Paris and at first staying at an hotel. From there i will travel and sightsee etc... but after that i'm looking for a place to live in Paris, i will be going on NZ-France working holiday visa, and i have a job lined up. But what i need to know is, what are the best arrondisments to get a place in?
i know that the 18th, 19th and 20th aren't safe, but which one is safe, yet cheap...any one with any knowledge of Paris can you help?
The visa only lasts for 1 year, so i'm planning on heading down South to try and join around november - december 2005.

can any one help?

thanks

Fish_Sauce

Reaction score
Hi Ace...

When i was in France the 11th arrondissement was by far the safest and the cleanest..It reminded me of Old Quebec..The 11th arrondisement is only around 30/40 euros taxi drive from the CDG Airport and is just beside Fort De Nogent (on the east side after Les Porte de Vincennes et Place de La Nation).

I used to go out and jog late at night and early in the morning with my Canadian Forces running shirt and never got attacked mugged or whatsoever...either ppl were nice or it was my big ugly bean that scared them :p

I saw some hotels ranging from 25 euros to 50 euros per night... 25 euros is a good deal if u dont mind 2 star hotels...But it will sure beat the rooms in Aubagne.. lol

Lots of good and clean restaurants and good Ol Mcdonalds r seen about just everywhere..

good luck.. ohh.. and im serious dude..BRING TOILETTE PAPER! In France they don't supply toilette paper in their bathrooms! Actually... the reasons why you see French ppl pissing all over the streets its because most toilettes r payable ones lol.. What has the world gone to now???? lol :p

ericthered

Reaction score
Hell, when I was there visiting last year, I stayed in a cheap hotel (Hotel Legendre) in the 18th. I had no complaints! 20 min walk to Montmartre, 40 min walk to the Arc de Triomphe, minutes away from an excellent metro system that will take you anywhere. In no way did I feel not safe anywhere there.

ace_compton

Reaction score
cheers for your replys guys.

its not that i dont think the 18th, 19th and 20th arent safe, just if im gonna be living there a while (6 months - 1 year) i want a place in a decent neighbourhood

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
ace_compton said:
Ok, here's the deal,

I'm leaving New Zealand in January 2005 for France, i will be flying into Paris and at first staying at an hotel 15-20 euros/night. From there i will travel and sightsee etc... but after that i'm looking for a place to live in Paris, i will be going on NZ-France working holiday visa, and i have a job lined up. But what i need to know is, what are the best arrondisments to get a place in?
i know that the 18th, 19th and 20th aren't safe, but which one is safe, yet cheap...any one with any knowledge of Paris can you help?
The visa only lasts for 1 year, so i'm planning on heading down South to try and join around november - december 2005.

can any one help?

thanks
Youth hostels are your best option for a low price Parisian accomodation and peak during the holiday especially during the summer. A safe location. anyway, you'll have to get use to the low life eventually :D ...Consult - free of charge - the International Youth Hostel manual in your local bookshops for locations, prices (15-20 euros) and seasonal opening times. In Avignon, there is an inexpensive youth hostel just outside the town and with a view to 'le pont d'Avignon' as the song goes for around 10-12 euros a night. It has plenty of space with a cheaper camping alternative for it isn't registered with the IYH association. I reckon you can negotiate a price with the owner there for a longish stay unlike in official IYHs. I was there this summer and I think I still have the coordinates somewhere. I'll try to dig them up. Bring a small tent with you for the cheaper camping alternatives (6-8 euros), you never know....I think that part of your game plan might be to visit several towns where FFL regiments are stationed. A good idea.

Last edited:

ace_compton

Reaction score
Cheers Eagle Eye.
I will be working with Renault in France, most likely in Paris, so i'm looking for more long term accomadation, i will be staying at a hotel for my 1st few weeks, before i find a place.
I will be travelling round the country before joining (or trying to)

i can't wait!