a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Passport control in airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
What going on guys?

I'm planning to trying my luck soon as possible, but one issue is preventing me doing it.

I'm kinda afraid from the whole process of the passport control , I don't have any logical cover story to tell in airport if i'll get question - I would say that I'm looking like the typical Islamic guys that might be suspect from their eyes specially that i'm gonna be alone.

I've never been abroad so I don't really have any clue what is all the about .

You guys think it's something complicated the passport control? And in the worst case if they'll would found out I'm in my way to aubagne they would have the authority to stoping me or something like that? as much as I know there's isn't any prevention from enlist its completely legal thing. again have really clue .
what do you should I came across any issue over there?

let me know what you think !

thanks and have a nice day!

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well Tittos, if you feel that you look like an islamist then whilst in France before joining change that. I mean the goatee beard and the Rabbii Jakob mustache and sideburns taken out. If you are serious about joining than you must know that you will not be able to keep them, so why not get riid of the extra hair before knocking on the gate?

It's up to you, you may decide to keep the curly side locks until you are accepted, but then you may not be accepted because of it.

AYF1993

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Tittos my friend I don't think Mr. Joseph is trolling you, he is here to help us the wannabees like all the greens and people like Mrs. Chas , Rapace, USMCRET who have military backgrounds and more important, life experience ! He just gaved you an advice to shave your facial hair if you want to not have problems at the airport or with the police on the french streets and before knocking on the big door, the first impression matter !

On youtube is a documentary about Legion selection and there was a Polish CCH who had a problem with facial hair. I remember that 1 or 2 guys didn't shave well and he was yelling at them that they are not even started the basic training and they dream to be pioneers.

[video=youtube;O_UIuikQtzM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_UIuikQtzM&t=1624s[/video]

Minute 16:25.

"Allez, shaving now quickly
A legionnaire is shaved to the ground, only pioneers wear the beard.
For the moment you are far from being pioneers.
So your faces will be nickel-chrome."

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Easy man, Joseph is not taking shit. So are you Muslim, are you religious, do you have Muslim sounding name? Are you from Israel? Do you need visa for entering France?

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
No man, I have nothing to do with Islam, neither religious. Some of my ancestors were originally from a Muslim country, so I'm looking like a Arab by European eyes. Maybe I got Joseph wrong, it's just a sensitive things if they sayin over here...
And yes I'm from Israel and we don't need a visa to enter France it's just a bad times right now in France.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
OK guys, the man did ask some simple questions.

If you have an Israeli passport there should be no serious issues except maybe a little closer scrutiny.
As for you stay in France, it would be best not to mention the Legion.
Sometimes they may ask where you will be staying in France and for how long.
For that reason you should perhaps book a hotel and have the address and phone number handy in case they want to check.
I believe that it is best to tell them that you there for a short holiday and not sure yet for how long.

M

Martin Scott

Unregistered
OK guys, the man did ask some simple questions.

If you have an Israeli passport there should be no serious issues except maybe a little closer scrutiny.
As for you stay in France, it would be best not to mention the Legion.
Sometimes they may ask where you will be staying in France and for how long.
For that reason you should perhaps book a hotel and have the address and phone number handy in case they want to check.
I believe that it is best to tell them that you there for a short holiday and not sure yet for how long.
Not Rocket science is it

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
No man, I have nothing to do with Islam, neither religious. Some of my ancestors were originally from a Muslim country, so I'm looking like a Arab by European eyes. Maybe I got Joseph wrong, it's just a sensitive things if they sayin over here...
And yes I'm from Israel and we don't need a visa to enter France it's just a bad times right now in France.
Your mid eastern look will not have influence on officials and most of normal people. Yes in last 5 years things getting turbulent in Europe do to terrorist attacks and migrant crisis, but steal is not even close in cooperation with what you have in Israel with Arabs.

I guess you speak Hebrew, if you also know Arabic too that's great for Legion. There are not many guys from Israel coming to the Legion and they have tendency to keep diversity, so that's plus for you. And answer to your question is no, you will not have trouble with customs, just say you coming as tourist.

Now you can tell us more about yourself. That's what new guys doing on this forum.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Tittos, no worries on my part. You will be heading down to the south of France which is multi-racial, no-one will give you even a second look. As for joining the Legion, first impressions are very important. They do not put you in uniform and shave your head as soon as you walk in the door. You will have your initial interview in the clothes that you are wearing. Only when the Legion thinks that there is a chance that you (or anyone else) have a chance of making it do they cut your hair and tell you to shave off your beard and mustache if you have one.

AYF1993

Reaction score
Home Country
Romania
Now controls on the airports are more rigorous be sure of that, 2 years ago while I waited my flight in Catania, Sicily I was approached by 2 guys from the airport security and they started to ask me multiple questions, what is my name, my age, my nationality, the reason of me being in Italy, how many days I stayed, how much money I have on me, how I arrived in Italy and after that they asked for my documents and to follow them to a security check room, and there I was left in my underwear and they checked my bag, my clothes and even my shoes.

After all the checks they said that I am good to go and buon viaggio. What was strange is that I was the only one who was checked in that group of people who boarded with me on the plane but I had a pretty big beard and together with my darker skin tone, I attracted the attention.

Just in case you will face a similar situation, don't be nervous, be polite and show them that you are clean.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tittos,

Welcome but a word of advice from an old man. Those in Green on this forum are Anciens (FFL). You are merely an aspirant. Your case of colour or none is inconsequential to the Legion. As you must be aware it is multinational.

As for sensitivity about remarks, 'well rest assured in any military formation you will get plenty of verbal abuse'. As for Joseph's comment he was trying to assist you so there is no need to get prickly. If you can't take it then don't apply. May I suggest a short back and sides. Anyway if you get in you will receive a' boule a zero'.

Kind regards,

Chas.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Now controls on the airports are more rigorous be sure of that, 2 years ago while I waited my flight in Catania, Sicily I was approached by 2 guys from the airport security and they started to ask me multiple questions, what is my name, my age, my nationality, the reason of me being in Italy, how many days I stayed, how much money I have on me, how I arrived in Italy and after that they asked for my documents and to follow them to a security check room, and there I was left in my underwear and they checked my bag, my clothes and even my shoes.

After all the checks they said that I am good to go and buon viaggio. What was strange is that I was the only one who was checked in that group of people who boarded with me on the plane but I had a pretty big beard and together with my darker skin tone, I attracted the attention.

Just in case you will face a similar situation, don't be nervous, be polite and show them that you are clean.
AYF1993, good point and good post. I think I mentioned this before but when I was working in the US consulate in Marseille, we got a security brief of one of the US ways of controlling terrorists taking flights. This was before the twin towers, 7/11, so it is probably obsolete now.
What the security would do would be to slide themselves behind or next to a suspect passenger waiting to check in. They would then engage them in conversation such as asking if they had seen the big game last night and what they thought of the red sox or NY Yankees or whatever. The idea was to see if the person was not already in LaLa Land with all of those virgins.

If you are not a fan of American sports it does not make you a terrorist but the idea is to see how you respond.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tittos,

In a civilian capacity with two passports I visited Israel to conduct business with the IDF to purchase equipment for the Irish Army (Eire) not IRA ! Ballistic helmets and other classified items. I had a very enjoyable time there and went with an Irish Army officer. The food was good, the wine nice and the St. Peter fish superb. The IDF were excellent hosts.

The second passport was for Arab countries !

I was delighted that the overall security precautions pre-flight and thereafter were first rate.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
Tittos,

Welcome but a word of advice from an old man. Those in Green on this forum are Anciens. (FFL). You are merely an aspirant. Your case of colour or none is inconsequential to the Legion. As you must be aware it is multinational.

As for sensitivity about remarks, 'well rest assured in any military formation you will get plenty of verbal abuse'. As for Joe's comment he was trying to assist you so there is no need to get prickly. If you can't take it then don't apply. May I suggest a short back and sides. Anyway if you get in you will receive a' boule a zero'.

Kind regards,

Chas.
Yeah I got the things later, we talked in private it was just misunderstanding that behind us! I took in account the verbal abuse in the military world it's an unseperated part of it, specially when you arrived to the regiment. Of course I have the commitment to give respect for the Anciens, especially when I'm in my aspirant level! As we use to say: “one day above you, is like a king above youâ€￾ ( sorry for my bad English)

Tittos,

In a civilian capacity with two passports I visited Israel to conduct business with the IDF to purchase equipment for the Irish Army (Eire) not IRA ! Ballistic helmets and other classified items. I had a very enjoyable time there and went with an Irish Army officer. The food was good, the wine nice and the St. Peter fish superb. The IDF were excellent hosts.

The second passport was for Arab countries !

I was delighted that the overall security precautions pre-flight and thereafter were first rate.
Nice to hear you had enjoyed been here! From what I've heard before much foreign guys here complained about the security arrangement. I don't know much about our manufactured local item, except our aerial industry and some of our home made weapon like Uzi and the Tavor rifles.

Highlander

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
(...) a few questioned about where do you gonna stay, if you gonna meet someone , which places you gonna visit, and etc. (...)
I get this questions every time I go to Europe... So I am always with printed reservations of all the hotels and the return ticket. And others like “what is your line of work? What do you study? Are you gonna meet with any men? Are you married?â€￾ I get really upset with that, but besides that no bigger problems.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Are you a Yemenite Jew, or are you from Kurdish ascent, or do you look like the son of the Queen of Sheba?
Who cares? You seem to have an Israeli passport, the French police should not stop you. If they do, tell them that you come as tourist and show as proof your return ticket. You must have a return ticket.
All will be well. Remember the three basic pillars I often mentioned, and your attitude as soon as you enter. Good luck mate, and keep us posted.

Tittos

Reaction score
Home Country
Israel
I get this questions every time I go to Europe... So I am always with printed reservations of all the hotels and the return ticket. And others like “what is your line of work? What do you study? Are you gonna meet with any men? Are you married?â€￾ I get really upset with that, but besides that no bigger problems.
Do you need to have a visa to enter France?

176607Mick

Unregistered
With an attitude like that titty you will have a very hard time. Chill out

Status
Not open for further replies.