a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• WARNING

We have been alerted of inappropriate behaviours on the forum. We firmly condamn any form of agressivity, harassment, threats etc...
    Members will be banned if they don't follow the rules (see rules agreement during registration setup)

Personal update

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Just for a bit of reminiscence therapy, you may remember the dodgy showers too a little higher up from the tree.

Sections standing a repos in lines after sport or a march (just in shorts, standard issue green/white Adidas trainers, and a towel the size of a baby's nappy) waiting to get into that tiny shower room two at a time (mainly foggy November evenings in my case). 90% of the time the water was freezing.

Also those crazy jabs in the back during the first few weeks that knocked the section out for 3 days and had everybody crying for their mothers. Hahaha - WTF was that all about? What the hell was in those jabs?

I expect that has all changed now on the farm of course.

Apologies for the last of the dinosaurs talk - but it's fun to remember little detail like that after all these years.
One of the reasons I stay on the site nice to read stuff that jogs the memory when I read it it was like I had been in line only yesterday it brings it all back
Reckon if the French did a survey on ex Legion guys and Covid after that multi cocktail of god only knows they injected we would not catch anything did anyone ever die from it?, I shagged some stuff out in Africa that without it I would not be here, reckon itโ€™s banned like a lot of other things that went down BITD๐Ÿ˜€

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A personal update,
I seem to remember you preferring 3REI over REP in some old posts.

So for the hell of it I'll show you what you'll be missing. This is Calvi Lido in about 83. I took 3 shots and stuck all the photos together as you can see. Citadella on the left and the Quartier to the right a couple of miles inland.

In summer you can't move for fanny. Tits are literally everywhere of all shapes and sizes. Little perky ones standing up to say hello, and big floppy things that spread out on the sand like a jellyfish. Take your pick.

Calvi.png

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

So for the hell of it I'll show you what you'll be missing. This is Calvi Lido in about 83. I took 3 shots and stuck all the photos together as you can see. Citadella on the left and the Quartier to the right a couple of miles inland.

In summer you can't move for fanny. Tits are literally everywhere of all shapes and sizes.

View attachment 7228
We could play Where Is Tina The Fish in that photo๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
Getting banged under a umbrella!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Great days walking down that beach, even used to like the runs on it if close to the water where the sand was hard, bit of a slog if on the soft stuff away from the water, not many postings or having a Camp in such a brilliant place, reckon now it will be even more packed as travel and tourism has grown a lot from how it was back in early 80s.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Great days walking down that beach, even used to like the runs on it if close to the water where the sand was hard, bit of a slog if on the soft stuff away from the water, not many postings or having a Camp in such a brilliant place, reckon now it will be even more packed as travel and tourism has grown a lot from how it was back in early 80s.

A childhood friend of my wife had a big house with apartments he used to rent on the road to Calenzana. I lived in Nice for many years (a simple ferry over to Calvi or ile Rousee) so I went back quite often for many years.

I suspect much has changed as you say, but they can't change the shape of the bay, or the sand, or the great weather - so it's still all good I guess :)

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A childhood friend of my wife had a big house with apartments he used to rent on the road to Calenzana. I lived in Nice for many years (a simple ferry over to Calvi or ile Rousee) so I went back quite often for many years.

I suspect much has changed as you say, but they can't change the shape of the bay, or the sand, or the great weather - so it's still all good I guess :)
We were lucky Men that got posted to Calvi in my eyes it was certainly a eye opener for me was strange all that sort of tourist sun and sea thing going on and at times so close but also so far away!

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy

In summer you can't move for fanny. Tits are literally everywhere of all shapes and sizes. Little perky ones standing up to say hello, and big floppy things that spread out on the sand like a jellyfish. Take your pick.

View attachment 7228

Hey Kronenberg,

yes you are right I've said before that the 3 REI would be my preferred destination indeed. The picture looks beautiful man, among all the locations where the Legion is I bet Calvi and Corsica in general are the most beautiful (if you disregard French Guyana of course...!).

To be honest, any regiment would be fine with me, even the 1 R.E. if that means I can wear a Kepi Blanc. I like the idea of experiencing the jungle but I know that it is hard for new recruits to be deployed there and that there is only a specific period of the year when you can choose it. Another regiment I like is the 2 R.E.G., both because of the mountain and because they are combat engineers. I think that my background could be of use there, plus in my veins I have the blood of a few Alpini that died in the Great War during the Strafexpedition fighting against the Austrians near Asiago, I feel the affinity. But hey, the 2 R.E.P. would be awesome, I also know that there is a company for mountain warfare so that'd be cool too!! But first... I have to nail those pull-ups :), enough daydreaming for today!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hey Kronenberg,

yes you are right I've said before that the 3 REI would be my preferred destination indeed. The picture looks beautiful man, among all the locations where the Legion is I bet Calvi and Corsica in general are the most beautiful (if you disregard French Guyana of course...!).

To be honest, any regiment would be fine with me, even the 1 R.E. if that means I can wear a Kepi Blanc. I like the idea of experiencing the jungle but I know that it is hard for new recruits to be deployed there and that there is only a specific period of the year when you can choose it. Another regiment I like is the 2 R.E.G., both because of the mountain and because they are combat engineers. I think that my background could be of use there, plus in my veins I have the blood of a few Alpini that died in the Great War during the Strafexpedition fighting against the Austrians near Asiago, I feel the affinity. But hey, the 2 R.E.P. would be awesome, I also know that there is a company for mountain warfare so that'd be cool too!! But first... I have to nail those pull-ups :), enough daydreaming for today!
Well buddy I applaud your honesty, just wish your mucker G could have declared the โ€œdaydreamingโ€ hats of to you enjoy the form but keep it real.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Well buddy I applaud your honesty, just wish your mucker G could have declared the โ€œdaydreamingโ€ hats of to you enjoy the form but keep it real.

Thanks mate, well I try at least to keep it real, even showing up in Aubagne doesn't mean you're an EV yet. Les chemin est long!

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hey Kronenberg,

1RE is good regiment FdG and there's definitely no shame being posted there. It's more of an honour really if you're not hell bent on wanting to play GI Joe and have skills that will help oil the machine.

The Legion would be motionless without 1RE. It's more of a brains than brawn outfit to be sure, but I really enjoyed my extended gig there following an unfortunate incident. The same Legion discipline, exercises and sport etc (depending on what Cie you're in) - just a bit less traumatic.

You also get to learn a lot more about the Legion in general because everybody passes through, from all regiments, and all ranks, at one time or another. They've all got a story to tell over a case of Krony. From deserters, to the likes of Joe doing his "passepartout" on a fateful Friday morning after 17.5 years of service.

Yes - the "passepartout" - we all remember that don't we? Excitement and regret in equal quantities.

And "Libรฉrable" - walking past the poste de police for the final time. Hummmm... strange.

Anecdote 1: I was known as the "trustee" in 1RE for a while when I was there for a number of Irish and Brits going on OPEX who were unsure they'd get back. I must of had at least 10 Quality Street tins full of personal memorabilia and letters to loved ones at one time to pass on to family if they didn't make it. Mostly REPmen. Happily all got returned. 1RE is therefore the "stable" bit of the the Legion that the rest of it counts on for important shit.

Anecdote 2: My best mate there (and my best man at my wedding) started as a 2eme pompe in MLE before moving through the ranks to finish as AdjCh in BSLE (Gestapo for you scum). If you're very smart and have the skills the Legion needs, promo can come faster in 1RE than in other regiments I believe. That may not be totally true because the Legion plays the long game of course, but it's the sensation I was left with. I may be a little out, but from memory, I drove to St Cyr to see him completing his Sgt course no longer than 4 years into his contract - maybe less. You'll know him Joe - the Texan "RS".

Anyway - if having ballerina arms is in your genes and there's nothing you can do about it,1RE is good career choice once you've got the yearning for blood and snot out of your system. You seem to be a scholar from what I've read, and that's a natural fit for 1RE.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
1RE is good regiment FdG and there's definitely no shame being posted there. It's more of an honour really if you're not hell bent on wanting to play GI Joe and have skills that will help oil the machine.

The Legion would be motionless without 1RE. It's more of a brains than brawn outfit to be sure, but I really enjoyed my extended gig there following an unfortunate incident. The same Legion discipline, exercises and sport etc (depending on what Cie you're in) - just a bit less traumatic.

Yeah totally, I didn't imply any demeaning connotation, I know for example that the 1 RE is very decorated and that it runs all crucial services, maybe it doesn't have the same hype that other regiments like the 2 REP have, but I wouldn't have a problem at all being put there. Of course, joining the FFL I hope to get some action and maybe to experience an OPEX, but hey, wearing the Kepi Blanc goes beyond that as far as I am concerned.

Anecdote 1: I was known as the "trustee" in 1RE for a while when I was there for a number of Irish and Brits going on OPEX who were unsure they'd get back. I must of had at least 10 Quality Street tins full of personal memorabilia and letters to loved ones at one time to pass on to family if they didn't make it. Mostly REPmen. Happily all got returned. 1RE is therefore the "stable" bit of the the Legion that the rest of it counts on for important shit.

That's quite a badge of honor, personally I would entrust something like that only to somebody that I know 100% I can trust. Glad however that you never had to send those letters after all and that all your friends could make it home.

Anyway - if having ballerina arms is in your genes and there's nothing you can do about it,1RE is good career choice once you've got the yearning for blood and snot out of your system. You seem to be a scholar from what I've read, and that's a natural fit for 1RE.

Hehehe I will keep it in mind. Thankfully my ballerina arms are a result of years of training for ultra endurance races and dieting rather than carrying flamingo genes, but you never know! LoL

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I would strongly recommend that you go to a combat company in a combat regiment before even thinking about 1RE. But first of all we have to get you in.
Every time I see that you have posted something in your thread Personal update, I'm almost I repeat almost disappointed that you haven't announced that you are going to the gym or that you have fitted out a rope somewhere, or even a pull up bar.

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
That's quite a badge of honor, personally I would entrust something like that only to somebody that I know 100% I can trust. Glad however that you never had to send those letters after all and that all your friends could make it home.
I think you missed the point FdG. This wasn't about me, I was trying trying to point out that there is a high degree of stability and reliability in 1RE because whole Cies rarely disappear for weeks on end as can happen in other regiments. Germans and others did the same thing for their fellow countrymen.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I would strongly recommend that you go to a combat company in a combat regiment before even thinking about 1RE. But first of all we have to get you in.
Every time I see that you have posted something in your thread Personal update, I'm almost I repeat almost disappointed that you haven't announced that you are going to the gym or that you have fitted out a rope somewhere, or even a pull up bar.
Or learn to play an instrument one way of getting to 1RE๐Ÿ˜€Still got to get in, No back doors everyone goes through a front door Man against Man simple as that everyone has the same start the rest is in your hands and others ( The Legion)

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy

That goes without saying! I bought the pull-ups bar a month ago more or less (see picture), it's mounted 24/7 and I am following a specific training program, I am doing small progress already, the fact that I can train every 2 days without getting tendonitis is progress for me. Besides this strictly upper body strength program I am continuing training for triathlons with my coach, I average between 9 to 15 hours of training a week depending from the block. Last week I clocked 180 km on my bike, 40 kms running and 7000 meters swimming. I also tried to implement one of your suggestions the best I can, there is an important 15 km run in the city where I live that draws international elite runners, I registered of course and I am aiming to complete it in under 1 hour. Roughly would be in the same period I expect to be ready with my pull-up game, so that hopefully I have a smoking hot race result to show during selection to prove how competent I am as a runner.

I didn't want to get on the nerves of you guys posting fitness progress and stuff like that, but if you guys want that every once in a while I will!

IMG_0595.jpg

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Or learn to play an instrument one way of getting to 1RE๐Ÿ˜€Still got to get in, No back doors everyone goes through a front door Man against Man simple as that everyone has the same start the rest is in your hands and others ( The Legion)

Hehehe well I am not a virtuoso but I do play a couple of instruments.