a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal update

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
A personal update,

since I know how... invested some of the ex legionnaires in this forum are on us wannabees, and since I said various times that I'd be leaving for Aubagne mid October, I think it's fair from me to disclose that I overestimated my pull-ups ability and that I will be ready in an extra month or two. I knew that compared to my cardio, my pull-up game was bad, but I didn't think that despite all the swimming I do it would be actually abysmal LoL. Just to give you an idea, a couple of weeks ago I started a *beginners* program. The result after day 1 was a tendonitis on both arms that lasted a week, luckily it didn't disrupt the rest of my training but it is obvious that I am not in condition to pass selection yet.

So, to avoid people thinking I talk the talk but I don't walk the walk... Cards on the deck face up! It sucks to have to wait longer, the positive is that I have more time to improve my French.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
It's been said on here enough times, by enough people, if you're ready what are you waiting for, go ! The opposite, although not said as much, is also true: if you are not ready then wait until you are. You should look at this adventure as a one time offer. Although in reality you can have more than one try at it.
It won't change anything, but how many pull ups can you do now?

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
That's exactly right how I approach the whole process, for me it will be the interview for my dream job, I want to go there that I am 110% confident I can make it. Hehehe, right now I can make a single pull-up with proper form, and already at the second I swing back and forth like a plastic bag full of sh$t LoL I have never been particularly strong with my upper body, but I guess years of training for Ironmans focusing on speed and endurance shaped me into some sort of inverse bodybuilder, instead of chicken legs I have chicken arms! This plan I follow has the advantage that for beginners like me focuses only on the downward motion, meaning that you go up with a chair or something to support and then have to slowly control the descent. In this way I can make more sets and reps and get a good workout, as my tendons will agree after last time LoL

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I think maybe people are over thinking this training. I am sure if you are in decent condition they will get you fit to their standards. I have seen a couple of videos where a couple of guys were a bit porky, not fat but not super condition and they got in. I am sure they do not expect super athletes as Papillion said.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
I think maybe people are over thinking this training. I am sure if you are in decent condition they will get you fit to their standards. I have seen a couple of videos where a couple of guys were a bit porky, not fat but not super condition and they got in. I am sure they do not expect super athletes as Papillion said.

I'm pretty sure there is a minimum pull-up requirement, around 4 if I am not wrong. Also remember I am older than the average recruit, they take on average 3 people out of 10 so statistically speaking I have to excel to stand a chance. I know I can ace the Luc Leger (running test), I want to be able to do a decent amount of pull-ups to don't run risks of not meeting the physical requirements :)

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I'm pretty sure there is a minimum pull-up requirement, around 4 if I am not wrong. Also remember I am older than the average recruit, they take on average 3 people out of 10 so statistically speaking I have to excel to stand a chance. I know I can ace the Luc Leger (running test), I want to be able to do a decent amount of pull-ups to don't run risks of not meeting the physical requirements :)
I understand. I am sure someone wrote it´s 7 pull ups. Best to ask

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Are you sure that you've looked into what is required in order to get in. Even Shirly knows that it's seven pull ups.

Fair question hehehe. I remembered reading L.P.C. writing about it somewhere, but to be fair this is the only requirement that is not indicated clearly on the official website (https://www.legion-recrute.com/en/tests). In any case, I still start at level 0 so... doesn't change much for now.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Fair question hehehe. I remembered reading L.P.C. writing about it somewhere, but to be fair this is the only requirement that is not indicated clearly on the official website (https://www.legion-recrute.com/en/tests). In any case, I still start at level 0 so... doesn't change much for now.
Seven pull ups is the minimum. I've said it enough times on here, you will be competing against the Ruskovs, whose only past time (and for some - full time) is the gym. 9 out of 10 have got nothing between their ears, however, they treat the IQ test like it was a weight training session. They just hammer it into their heads.
If you join up in Paris, and there is only 20 places, you had better make sure that you can do the 7 pull ups.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Seven pull ups is the minimum. I've said it enough times on here, you will be competing against the Ruskovs, whose only past time (and for some - full time) is the gym. 9 out of 10 have got nothing between their ears, however, they treat the IQ test like it was a weight training session. They just hammer it into their heads.
If you join up in Paris, and there is only 20 places, you had better make sure that you can do the 7 pull ups.

Copy that!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If your worries are that you can’t do the bare minimum then call it a day my freind see the wood for the trees, if I was going at your age I would be looking at doing 15 without effort you have to zero any negativity your age might have against you, you will have other qualities that are transferable but it’s not a Donkey sanctuary some place in France suggested you dig in and set yourself a goal and time limit to crack out 10 good ones 8 weeks well enough time if you stick to a routine if not find another path in life.
Have you asked S how many she can do might be some motivation for you or time to hide!
1632824552672.jpeg

Last edited:

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
If your worries are that you can’t do the bare minimum then call it a day my freind see the wood for the trees, if I was going at your age I would be looking at doing 15 without effort you have to zero any negativity your age might have against you, you will have other qualities that are transferable but it’s not a Donkey sanctuary some place
Gotta back Pap up on this one FdG.

If you're serious about having a go at getting in you need to apply yourself. It's like anything in life - what you get out of it is proportional to what you put in to it.

Like Pap says, 8 weeks should be sufficient to get you somewhere near the mark. If you can't do one pullup at the moment 15 may seem like a big goal - but it does get easier especially if you're motivated.

For an anecdote: There was a big old tree outside my section at Castel that had a long rope hanging from it. Before each meal we had to try to get up it without using legs/feet. Various threats were made if you didn't make progress on a daily basis which I won't go into here, but the fact of the matter is that while only about 20% or 30% could do it during the 1st week of instruction we could all do it by the time the kepi marche arrived (4 or 5 weeks later).

Nothing is impossible. It's all about "vouloir" (wanting it) and determination. If you haven't got that in your gut even now you'll need to find it from somewhere or there's no point in even thinking of joining.

If you do want it however, set yourself a daily fitness goal and never make excuses to miss it.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Gotta back Pap up on this one FdG.

If you're serious about having a go at getting in you need to apply yourself. It's like anything in life - what you get out of it is proportional to what you put in to it.

Like Pap says, 8 weeks should be sufficient to get you somewhere near the mark. If you can't do one pullup at the moment 15 may seem like a big goal - but it does get easier especially if you're motivated.

For an anecdote: There was a big old tree outside my section at Castel that had a long rope hanging from it. Before each meal we had to try to get up it without using legs/feet. Various threats were made if you didn't make progress on a daily basis which I won't go into here, but the fact of the matter is that while only about 20% or 30% could do it during the 1st week of instruction we could all do it by the time the kepi marche arrived (4 or 5 weeks later).

Nothing is impossible. It's all about "vouloir" (wanting it) and determination. If you haven't got that in your gut even now you'll need to find it from somewhere or there's no point in even thinking of joining.

If you do want it however, set yourself a daily fitness goal and never make excuses to miss it.
That the same big tree and rope near the place building they handed your kit out off? That’s when me and my Fut Fut fell out I went straight up no legs just arms he had me a marked man for some reason, did not help when rest of section were quite impressed on my natural ability and upper body strength and wanted rope climbing tips 😀 no I remember he found the physical side of things demanding so a guy like me was going to piss him right off and I did most days!

Kronenberg

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm talking about the old Castel - not the farm (although they may have a Harry Potter tree like that there too).

But yes, that spot was used for all sort of things. At the far end away from the foyer between the dorms and the bogs. That's also where the "I'm French but not French" kickboxing guys in my section used to beat sh@t out of each other.

Yes - fut futs. We all hated them :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
If your worries are that you can’t do the bare minimum then call it a day my freind see the wood for the trees, if I was going at your age I would be looking at doing 15 without effort you have to zero any negativity your age might have against you, you will have other qualities that are transferable but it’s not a Donkey sanctuary some place in France suggested you dig in and set yourself a goal and time limit to crack out 10 good ones 8 weeks well enough time if you stick to a routine if not find another path in life.

You're right Papillon I need to apply myself and squeeze all I can in making as many as possible with ease. I am not worried, I am used to meet very high demands of performance, I know I can make progress.

Have you asked S how many she can do might be some motivation for you or time to hide!

Hahaha well chances are at the moment she can do more, I currently have the upper body strength of a ballerina, also known as arms á la Chris Froome aka "the hobbit".

chris_froome.jpg

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
You're right Papillon I need to apply myself and squeeze all I can in making as many as possible with ease. I am not worried, I am used to meet very high demands of performance, I know I can make progress.

Hahaha well chances are at the moment she can do more, I currently have the upper body strength of a ballerina, also known as arms á la Chris Froome aka "the hobbit".

View attachment 7222
Size is not and indication of strength! As look at his legs also what he has achieved with legs like a flamingo 🦩 look at pro rock climbers and strength to body type, some things it’s about starting of doing one correct moving to the second third and so on only when you are ready also just hanging for as long as you can improves strength and wrist strength, would a pilgrimage not be more appropriate at this time in life?

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I'm talking about the old Castel - not the farm (although they may have a Harry Potter tree like that there too).

But yes, that spot was used for all sort of things. At the far end away from the foyer between the dorms and the bogs. That's also where the "I'm French but not French" kickboxing guys in my section used to beat sh@t out of each other.

Yes - fut futs. We all hated them :)
Yes I was on about the old Castel your memory is far better than mine.