a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal update

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
That goes without saying! I bought the pull-ups bar a month ago more or less (see picture), it's mounted 24/7 and I am following a specific training program, I am doing small progress already, the fact that I can train every 2 days without getting tendonitis is progress for me. Besides this strictly upper body strength program I am continuing training for triathlons with my coach, I average between 9 to 15 hours of training a week depending from the block. Last week I clocked 180 km on my bike, 40 kms running and 7000 meters swimming. I also tried to implement one of your suggestions the best I can, there is an important 15 km run in the city where I live that draws international elite runners, I registered of course and I am aiming to complete it in under 1 hour. Roughly would be in the same period I expect to be ready with my pull-up game, so that hopefully I have a smoking hot race result to show during selection to prove how competent I am as a runner.

I didn't want to get on the nerves of you guys posting fitness progress and stuff like that, but if you guys want that every once in a while I will!

View attachment 7236
Personally as you ask no I’m happy not to get an update , just send a post of your ugly mug with a wet sock on your head just prior to going through the gate on that note good luck and bye!

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Personally as you ask no I’m happy not to get an update , just send a post of your ugly mug with a wet sock on your head just prior to going through the gate on that note good luck and bye!

...noted! Don't worry I'll make a good one when is time just for you, Papillon!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
...noted! Don't worry I'll make a good one when is time just for you, Papillon!
Their you go buddy some flippant remark, you have nothing to prove to me or anyone else you asked for advise and information, you disclosed your desire to join the Legion in return some members of the form gave response based that your were serious that’s all that happens, naturally we want guys to proceed and join, but also out of respect feed back some general information on process and change, well more than I anticipated in my reply as your file 13 for me stay lucky.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Time for another small update about my pre-selection preparation. I have sticked to the pull-ups program and I am now up to 4 clean ones with perfect form. Considering that when I started in September I could do 1, I am satisfied. I have also sticked to my normal endurance routine and this Sunday I will be attempting a sub hour 15 km at a local annual road race. I have seen also improvements in my swimming times. Besides, I recently started a :poop: job to "gagner ma crôute" (that's also the reason why I have been less active in the forum recently) and be able to pay for the trip. So I am fully focused on my goal of heading to Aubagne ASAP. As soon as I am up to 10 pull-ups I will be buying the flight ticket. In my rough estimate, it will be sometime right after Christmas or NYE. What a better moment to start a new page of your life??

I will be keeping you posted!

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Time for another small update about my pre-selection preparation. I have sticked to the pull-ups program and I am now up to 4 clean ones with perfect form. Considering that when I started in September I could do 1, I am satisfied. I have also sticked to my normal endurance routine and this Sunday I will be attempting a sub hour 15 km at a local annual road race. I have seen also improvements in my swimming times. Besides, I recently started a :poop: job to "gagner ma crôute" (that's also the reason why I have been less active in the forum recently) and be able to pay for the trip. So I am fully focused on my goal of heading to Aubagne ASAP. As soon as I am up to 10 pull-ups I will be buying the flight ticket. In my rough estimate, it will be sometime right after Christmas or NYE. What a better moment to start a new page of your life??

I will be keeping you posted!
Glad things are moving together for you, when you say you can do 4 correct pull ups are you doing them on a daily basis and how many sets do you do a day?

Reaction score
Home Country
Zimbabwe
Here's a Routine we used:

1 pullup 5 push ups and 5 dips
2 pullups 10 push ups and 10 dips
3 pullups 15 push ups and 15 dips
4 pullups 20 push ups and 20 dips
5 pullups 25 push ups and 25 dips
Repeat 5
0 you are done
Get in a 5 to 10K run afterwards
10K is about right after circuit, spot on routine brother. Nice.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
That the same big tree and rope near the place building they handed your kit out off? That’s when me and my Fut Fut fell out I went straight up no legs just arms he had me a marked man for some reason, did not help when rest of section were quite impressed on my natural ability and upper body strength and wanted rope climbing tips 😀 no I remember he found the physical side of things demanding so a guy like me was going to piss him right off and I did most days!
Snap as a wiry little squirt on the RM renowned bottom field I did the same on the 30 ft standard rope test.

I still smart today from the massive bollicking I received from the Cpl PTI. All PTIs' were known as 'Clubs' and wore said insignia on their uniforms. Mine as a Mne was 'Crossed Rifles'.

As for pull-ups I am astounded that any would be aspirant can't even do 7. Pathetic !

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
As for pull-ups I am astounded that any would be aspirant can't even do 7. Pathetic !

What can I say? Not everybody is born a commando. I'll tell you this though, pick any other Royal Marine currently serving and put him on a 1 vs 1 20 km run against me. Then let's see who looks pathetic ;)

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
What can I say? Not everybody is born a commando. I'll tell you this though, pick any other Royal Marine currently serving and put him on a 1 vs 1 20 km run against me. Then let's see who looks pathetic ;)

...or swim on any distance, or biking any distance. Give me another month, and also with pull-ups, don't worry.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Glad things are moving together for you, when you say you can do 4 correct pull ups are you doing them on a daily basis and how many sets do you do a day?

So that number comes from a max test that I do at the end of every cycle, which lasts a couple of weeks. I probably had a fifth one in me this time around but I decided to don't force it since I am having some slight discomfort on the capsule of my right deltoid so didn't want to over stress the part. The program I am following consists of 5 sets of a variable number of repetitions. In order to do more than 10 I am currently focusing only on the downward movement, so from the top position (chin above the bar) I lower myself extra slow to full extension and then repeat with the help of a chair or something to step up. This works the whole muscle group allowing you multiple repetitions when you are a beginner like me. I also have a day of rest in between sessions. I do 3 sets of 10-15 push-ups after the 5 sets of pull-ups to work out the opposite muscles. Maybe is not the most brutal program but it's making me improve without the risk of injuring myself, so I think I'll stick with it till the next progression, then I will ramp it up a notch.

Reaction score
Home Country
Italy
Here's a Routine we used:

1 pullup 5 push ups and 5 dips
2 pullups 10 push ups and 10 dips
3 pullups 15 push ups and 15 dips
4 pullups 20 push ups and 20 dips
5 pullups 25 push ups and 25 dips
Repeat 5
0 you are done
Get in a 5 to 10K run afterwards

Nice pyramidal! It might be a bit too advanced for my current fitness but it won't be long till I can tackle it. I will keep it in mind, thanks.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
...or swim on any distance, or biking any distance. Give me another month, and also with pull-ups, don't worry.
We all built a bit different, self am far from a racing snake. Always have been a bigger bloke, my nickname from the Zulus at my old work was Nkunsi, which translates to Bull. I detest running with a passion, I would rather hike 30km with a full hiking bag than run 10km. Also I'm quite a strong swimmer, but I have always struggled with aerobic style stuff and pull-ups etc. The best practice for pull-ups is either doing banded pull ups with weaker and weaker elastics until you can smack them out no problem, focus on doing them properly and fully extended, another good exercise to help build up the upper body is burpees. Try and do some first thing in the morning or mix them into your runs. You will be amazed at how quickly you build up your upper body strength.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Snap as a wiry little squirt on the RM renowned bottom field I did the same on the 30 ft standard rope test.

I still smart today from the massive bollicking I received from the Cpl PTI. All PTIs' were known as 'Clubs' and wore said insignia on their uniforms. Mine as a Mne was 'Crossed Rifles'.

And I’m a sort of 15 type of guy at a bare minimum. Hey Chas the youth of today😂😂😂

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
So that number comes from a max test that I do at the end of every cycle, which lasts a couple of weeks. I probably had a fifth one in me this time around but I decided to don't force it since I am having some slight discomfort on the capsule of my right deltoid so didn't want to over stress the part. The program I am following consists of 5 sets of a variable number of repetitions. In order to do more than 10 I am currently focusing only on the downward movement, so from the top position (chin above the bar) I lower myself extra slow to full extension and then repeat with the help of a chair or something to step up. This works the whole muscle group allowing you multiple repetitions when you are a beginner like me. I also have a day of rest in between sessions. I do 3 sets of 10-15 push-ups after the 5 sets of pull-ups to work out the opposite muscles. Maybe is not the most brutal program but it's making me improve without the risk of injuring myself, so I think I'll stick with it till the next progression, then I will ramp it up a notch.
Do you play an instrument?

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Nice pyramidal! It might be a bit too advanced for my current fitness but it won't be long till I can tackle it. I will keep it in mind, thanks.
Just try to get to Three Fabrizio or even two, just do your best. Right now you should be mostly things with your body weight and core. Pull Ups require more than Bicepts, you back and core muscles also contribute

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Do you play an instrument?
My Wife was in 1st Marine Division Band. Most do not know in times of war they are multifunctional, Band obviously, then most important they are Infantry and they are the rear guard to the Commanding General. They act as a QRF Force and stand perimeter OP and LPs, hence why they are "Division or Wing Bands"

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
We all built a bit different, self am far from a racing snake. Always have been a bigger bloke, my nickname from the Zulus at my old work was Nkunsi, which translates to Bull. I detest running with a passion, I would rather hike 30km with a full hiking bag than run 10km. Also I'm quite a strong swimmer, but I have always struggled with aerobic style stuff and pull-ups etc. The best practice for pull-ups is either doing banded pull ups with weaker and weaker elastics until you can smack them out no problem, focus on doing them properly and fully extended, another good exercise to help build up the upper body is burpees. Try and do some first thing in the morning or mix them into your runs. You will be amazed at how quickly you build up your upper body strength.
Try everyday to get in 100 Burpees, Push-ups, and situps or leg raises to a 90 degree angle. Break them up, for instance, everytime you see a television commercial do one set of each and again make it a nightly regiment before bed

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hehehe Pap I see where you're going... Nice try!
Just seeing if you were awake, just keep hanging on the bar any time you pass it, don’t be to worried about the routine put more effort into just doing them, to be honest on the chins I’m a bit disappointed about your progress, so mix it up and forget the routine and plan, any time you can sprint down a road than walk do it, anytime you can make your route harder by going shorter or longer do it, press ups are good do them on 2 cans so you flex the shoulders and pecks personally I would have liked to have seen you starting where you are now with 4/5 but hey we’re all different if motivation is proofing others wrong well go for it. Just try mixing it up as I think you need to change what your doing to see if something else works but best of luck.
P