Physical requirements for FFL

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Hi, I'm 24, born in France (spent most of my life out of France though), I plan on heading to Fort de Nogent sometime in March, and I'm curious as to what the fitness standards are to get in, so I can have an idea what to train. Currently I can knock out 50 push ups 50 sit-ups and 8-10 pullups with no problem. I plan on getting swimming lessons starting in December (I can't do shit but drown in the water right now). I'm definitely not a great runner but not a couch potato either (I can do 10km in about 50 minutes on the treadmill). For info I'm 6 foot 6 230lbs. Any advice from guys who've been through the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and God bless.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Over weight ? too tall? is there a max height limit?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
why over think it all? you know if you are fit or not. everything else is mental..in your mind.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Grand guegge de base
Use metric system please
Running out doors, swimming, rope climbing, tractions, abdos. ..all is good and never enougth
Legion or not

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Over weight ? too tall? is there a max height limit?
There is a certain BMI candidates must be under according to the website (25 I think, not sure) but I haven't heard/read about a height limit lol

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Grand guegge de base
Use metric system please
Running out doors, swimming, rope climbing, tractions, abdos. ..all is good and never enougth
Legion or not
My bad, I'm 2 meters tall and weigh about 104kg

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Tu serras l homme de base when there
There is a hight limit in the army
Dont know how much tho
Dwarfs midgets or tiny people can not join
You, because of your size
Need to take care of your articulations and souplesse
Try and stride with grace
Btw, shoe size ?

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Dont know how much tho
Btw, shoe size ?
Yeah I'm definitely not very flexible to say the least, shoe size is a 49.5. I semi-jokingly wondered at times if they even would have boots for me over there. But then there's no way the Legion never had anyone over 6'3 or 6'4 (1m90-1m93)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
You would be suprised
All shapes and sizes
Will dépend on if others of your size exist in your Regiment. .défilé 14 juillet is en rang de 12
If not enougth like your self (inapte défilé)
Garde drapeau eventually (couple of years service and médailles obliged )

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
You would be suprised
All shapes and sizes
Will dépend on if others of your size exist in your Regiment. .défilé 14 juillet is en rang de 12
If not enougth like your self (inapte défilé)
Garde drapeau eventually (couple of years service and médailles obliged )
Good to know, appreciate the info

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
Hi, I'm 24, born in France (spent most of my life out of France though), I plan on heading to Fort de Nogent sometime in March, and I'm curious as to what the fitness standards are to get in, so I can have an idea what to train. Currently I can knock out 50 push ups 50 sit-ups and 8-10 pullups with no problem. I plan on getting swimming lessons starting in December (I can't do shit but drown in the water right now). I'm definitely not a great runner but not a couch potato either (I can do 10km in about 50 minutes on the treadmill). For info I'm 6 foot 6 230lbs. Any advice from guys who've been through the process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and God bless.
Lose about 30 lbs, you should be fine

Learn to tread water first, it's quite easy. You don't need to be a swimming master, so we have heard for the swimming test. Just learn to float, and propel yourself forward. Kick with legs up and down, hands push the water side to side. You'll get it. It's easy to swim

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi JeanB and welcome to the forum. Don;t worry about the boot size, if/when you are accepted, they will find a pair your size or have them made. The swimming is like everything else, don't just train to pass the minimum, train beyond that. Don;t forget about the IQ test either. Why join in Paris? In case you don't make it past the first day, you won't have far to go? Not a good idea. Join in Aubagne, it will be the start of burning your bridges.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Dont know how much tho
Btw, shoe size ?
Maybe too big for a Tank :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Hi JeanB and welcome to the forum. Don;t worry about the boot size, if/when you are accepted, they will find a pair your size or have them made. The swimming is like everything else, don't just train to pass the minimum, train beyond that. Don;t forget about the IQ test either. Why join in Paris? In case you don't make it past the first day, you won't have far to go? Not a good idea. Join in Aubagne, it will be the start of burning your bridges.
Thanks for the welcome, I'm living near Paris at the moment (Drancy) so since Fort de Nogent is closest to where I'm at + I have a relative living in Paris whose place i can stay at for a few months (in case I get turned away from the Legion), FdN seems like the most obvious choice in my case. Is there a major difference between attempting to join at FdN vs Aubagne?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
JeanB514,

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt that your height will be a negative factor. For example the USMC height requirement is 4'10" to 6'8". Your weight may be but I leave that to the Greens to guide you.

As a caution with your large frame, you will find it difficult with assault courses, tunnels, and speed marches. For long marches and load carries you will be fine. Agility however is a very necessary requirement for all selected.

Chas with a certain T. Shirt. 99% need not apply.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Is there a major difference between attempting to join at FdN vs Aubagne?
Yes, FdeN is one of the main recruiting centres. However if there are too many candidates to send down to Aubagne then they will choose the best. The best according to their views. FdeN is not the only recruiting centre, there are others doted around France and even Tahiti. The choice is yours, although March/April being spring time... Well again the choice is yours.

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Lose about 30 lbs, you should be fine

Learn to tread water first, it's quite easy. You don't need to be a swimming master, so we have heard for the swimming test. Just learn to float, and propel yourself forward. Kick with legs up and down, hands push the water side to side. You'll get it. It's easy to swim
Got it

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
Yes, FdeN is one of the main recruiting centres. However if there are too many candidates to send down to Aubagne then they will choose the best. The best according to their views. FdeN is not the only recruiting centre, there are others doted around France and even Tahiti. The choice is yours, although March/April being spring time... Well again the choice is yours.
I see, it's not a problem for me to get enough cash for one or 2 train tickets so in that case I guess I'll head straight to Marseille to give myself a better shot at making the cut

OP
J
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
JeanB514,

Welcome to the forum.

I doubt that your height will be a negative factor. For example the USMC height requirement is 4'10" to 6'8". Your weight may be but I leave that to the Greens to guide you.

As a caution with your large frame, you will find it difficult with assault courses, tunnels, and speed marches. For long marches and load carries you will be fine. Agility however is a very necessary requirement for all selected.

Chas with a certain T. Shirt. 99% need not apply.
Yeah, all former (or active) military guys I've met told me the obstacle courses/bodyweight exercises weren't going to be fun at my height but that if i prepare seriously there's no reason I couldn't make it.

Most viewed threads of the week