a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please allow me to introduce myself...

Reaction score
Home Country
England
I’m a man of.... Stones obsessed sorry..

Hi everybody hope you’re all doing well.

I’m based in Wales but from Wiltshire in England originally. No military background myself but my grandfather was in the British Army all his life and he is a great inspiration to me. I am now 29 (April) and I would like to be in the FFL - (I will settle for any regiment, don’t want to appear arrogant or picky, I am not. I will do my duty regardless but getting in 2eRep is my dream)

I understand that past 30 chances are slim. Is this right? Turning 30 next April is this a lost dream or can it still be done? I still feel and look 20 years old and am in great shape (a bit on the skinny side but I’m working on it), and maintain discipline in my personal life.

I am building my mother, who needs support, a small home to live in here on our land in Wales. So my thinking is to complete this project (6 months ish) whilst training with intensity (french and fitness) to further my chances of being selected.

Glad to be on here and have access to you Legionaires. Much respect to you all and thank you for being willing to help aspiring soldiers.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Ah just realised that’s a bit of an essay with questions included... for a simple introduction. My bad

Reaction score
Home Country
England
And sorry that’s 2eme Regiment of paras - but I stress again I am not picky and any position would be an honour. Cheers

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I’m based in Wales but from Wiltshire in England originally. No military background myself but my grandfather was in the British Army all his life and he is a great inspiration to me. I am now 29 (April) and I would like to be in the FFL - (I will settle for any regiment, don’t want to appear arrogant or picky, I am not. I will do my duty regardless but getting in 2eRep is my dream)

I understand that past 30 chances are slim. Is this right? Turning 30 next April is this a lost dream or can it still be done? I still feel and look 20 years old and am in great shape (a bit on the skinny side but I’m working on it), and maintain discipline in my personal life.
Welcome.
Don't know for sure if relatives in army could be a plus for whatever reason, (I myself would consider it very important factor, specially it being a good reference in the education, familiar and perhaps 'ethics' matter). My father was marine, and I had good references on respect, ethics, etc because of that.

About the age, yeah, reaching 30's sounds a little more difficult, but every year I see more young ppl not wanting to join any kind of army, so, from that perspective, I guess there could be less people trying to enlist in FFL, maybe now, maybe some years ahead. Hope our motivation and maturity could be more important the age in the enlistment.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Rasco,
Welcome to the forum.
Have you considered the British Military or even the Police ?
Pay attention to all those who are in Green for they are normally Anciens or a few even serving.
I wish you well in all your endeavours.
Good luck.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Welcome.
Don't know for sure if relatives in army could be a plus for whatever reason, (I myself would consider it very important factor, specially it being a good reference in the education, familiar and perhaps 'ethics' matter). My father was marine, and I had good references on respect, ethics, etc because of that.

About the age, yeah, reaching 30's sounds a little more difficult, but every year I see more young ppl not wanting to join any kind of army, so, from that perspective, I guess there could be less people trying to enlist in FFL, maybe now, maybe some years ahead. Hope our motivation and maturity could be more important the age in the enlistment.
Thanks for the welcome OpComrade!

Agreed on being instilled with morals by the military patriarch... actually I'm not sure "the only good kraut is a dead kraut" is great morals! But then he spent much of the war with the Yugoslav partisans ambushing and getting ambushed by the Germans - they actually sent him a bomb in a parcel addressed to him but luckily (for Papa) one of the partisans was weary of British motives and he opened it. Certainly he gave me a no nonsense attitude in life of which I'm grateful.

So true about young being dis-interested - I blame the woke media for this! Part of the reason I want to join tbh, so fed up of living in a world that appears so contrary to my values

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Rasco,
Welcome to the forum.
Have you considered the British Military or even the Police ?
Pay attention to all those who are in Green for they are normally Anciens or a few even serving.
I wish you well in all your endeavours.
Good luck.
Hi Chas, thank you for the friendly welcome - love the Pericles quote in your sig.

I have thought about the army - not the police, that really does not interest me tbh. I enquired recently about signing on as a reserve. My reservation is that I will rarely see any real danger with the British Army, esp in reserves. I'm also under the impression they are cutting budgets frequently and aiming for less men on the ground and more effort in high tech warfare - cyber, unmanned vehicles etc. I really want to sign up for the FFL for the ultimate test which I feel the British won't provide. Perhaps I am wrong in my assessment. Of course, I will keep looking into it though

Sorry for the noob question but I don't fully understand:
"Pay attention to all those who are in Green for they are normally Anciens or a few even serving."
Anciens is old right? And those in green? Anyone in the military?

Thank you so much for the encouragement.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Hi @Perun

Not sure where your comment disappeared, but I read it earlier in the midst of some gardening and recall you mentioned if my French and physical shape is ok then just go for it! Thanks mate, really good to hear that. I will immerse myself in French over the coming months and keep my fitness level decent - Winter keeps me super fit generally because of all the stormy surf we get here in Wales - paddle out at my local is a bitch!!

Thanks again mate

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I have thought about the army - not the police, that really does not interest me tbh. I enquired recently about signing on as a reserve. My reservation is that I will rarely see any real danger with the British Army, esp in reserves. I'm also under the impression they are cutting budgets frequently and aiming for less men on the ground and more effort in high tech warfare - cyber, unmanned vehicles etc. I really want to sign up for the FFL for the ultimate test which I feel the British won't provide. Perhaps I am wrong in my assessment. Of course, I will keep looking into it though
Army here is out of question because the age, and police is too much burocratic process to get into, and in the end your career will probably end into political decisions or with a lot of action (and mostly trap), it could find easily this opportunity in Rio de Janeiro, but I really dont want to finish my life on that mess, so still FFL a try

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Army here is out of question because the age, and police is too much burocratic process to get into, and in the end your career will probably end into political decisions or with a lot of action (and mostly trap), it could find easily this opportunity in Rio de Janeiro, but I really dont want to finish my life on that mess, so still FFL a try
I hear you man. Have watched a lot of videos coming out of Brazil and maybe I'm wrong but it seems crime there is through the roof. Lots of hero undercover police doing amazing work. Is the situation getting better or worse in your view?

Have you tried out for the FFL yet, or planning to in the future?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Rasco,

and welcome to the forum. I saw that your post caused quite a stir, 31 views, nothing extraordinary there, but then I saw that there were nine replies, great I thought, there are some finally coming out of the woodwork to greet you :D, until I saw that most of them were from you :cautious::ROFLMAO:.
30 isn't too old to join the legion. And I wish you all the best.

I was stationed in Wiltshire when I first finished my 2 year apprenticeship to be an army chef. Devices, to be more precise, Prince Maurice barracks.

Reaction score
Home Country
Brazil
I hear you man. Have watched a lot of videos coming out of Brazil and maybe I'm wrong but it seems crime there is through the roof. Lots of hero undercover police doing amazing work. Is the situation getting better or worse in your view?

Have you tried out for the FFL yet, or planning to in the future?
Well, its not even close to what people usually see on Internet, police work is a very complicated thing here, and yeah there is enough of both side here, corrupt and hero police, and even worst when it envolves decisions from politics, but that not where I want to go definitely.
I am planning to go in the beggining of the next year, probably same time as my vacation, so, I dont f*cked up both plans, just hope will have enough time to do entire process and obviously success on it.

And using your thread as opportunity, 5 months studying French (self-study) would be enough to avoid trouble there? I keep watching the docummentaries, but gosh, its more difficult then studying german.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chas, thank you for the friendly welcome - love the Pericles quote in your sig.

Sorry for the noob question but I don't fully understand:
"Pay attention to all those who are in Green for they are normally Anciens or a few even serving."
Anciens is old right? And those in green? Anyone in the military?

Thank you so much for the encouragement.
Rasco,

Have you thought about the RMR. RM reservists get attached to commando units on short term contracts.
After my service in the RM, I considered the Foreign Legion, The Australian Army or the Colonial Police. The Australians made me an offer but I declined. Then the Crown Agents offered me a contract in the Colonial Police. I thought long and hard again about the FFL but decided on the CP. In 1956 the FFL were considered to be the most battle hardened troops in the world. (Comment from RM commandos.)

Reaction score
Home Country
England
@Joseph Cosgrove no way, I grew up in the Pewsey Vale a stones throw from Devizes. Lovely place. How long did you serve in the BA before joining the FFL?
re the replies that made me laugh... sorry to trick you with my false conversations ;)

@opcomrade I'm sure. Did not mean to sound like I knew the situation out there and respect your decision to join the legion. Hey regarding French, I’ve had great success learning Russian following a very simple method which I will be applying to French. Check out Yatir Nitzany - conversational French quick and easy. Really follow his advice and memorise each chapter before proceeding to the next and trust me you will be amazed at your ability to learn quickly. I did this with Russian as well as complete immersion in the language - films, buying food from Russia, news etc. Good luck my friend and I hope to see you at Aubange in 2022.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Rasco,

Have you thought about the RMR. RM reservists get attached to commando units on short term contracts.
After my service in the RM, I considered the Foreign Legion, The Australian Army or the Colonial Police. The Australians made me an offer but I declined. Then the Crown Agents offered me a contract in the Colonial Police. I thought long and hard again about the FFL but decided on the CP. In 1956 the FFL were considered to be the most battle hardened troops in the world. (Comment from RM commandos.)
Ah Chas your the man!! Just looking into the RMR and how did I miss that!? Would allow me to work, build mums home, and serve in an elite force. 600 reservists though 😮 will have to be on top of my game. I’m going to get in touch with them - thanks again mate awesome recommendation.

And looking into the CP now, being a lover of history I’m surprised I’ve never heard of them. Can you recommend a book or source of info to learn more - keen to learn something new. So have you been based in Oz working for CP or is it various stations around the commonwealth countries?

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Ah Chas your the man!! Just looking into the RMR and how did I miss that!? Would allow me to work, build mums home, and serve in an elite force. 600 reservists though 😮 will have to be on top of my game. I’m going to get in touch with them - thanks again mate awesome recommendation.

And looking into the CP now, being a lover of history I’m surprised I’ve never heard of them. Can you recommend a book or source of info to learn more - keen to learn something new. So have you been based in Oz working for CP or is it various stations around the commonwealth countries?
Rasco,

I was only in the Hong Kong Police. I wanted to go to Bermuda but there were no vacancies so I opted for HK. I have been to many places but never to Australia. All over the FE plus nearly 4 years in Assam. As for a suitable book, I have a large library and will select one and will give you publishing details in due course. Actually 2 spring to mind immediately.

Chas. RMV202918, Mne- 20/06/1956 etc etc.

Reaction score
Home Country
England
@Joseph Cosgrove wow much respect for serving so long - makes me feel bad for wasting my 20s doing meaningless stuff (except for reading/education). Not going to repeat it in my 30s though.

@Chas it sounds like you have lived life and been to some amazing places during your service. I’m interested to see what will happen in 2049(?) when the 99 HK lease expires. Re the books, thank you so much, would really appreciate it, I have one big appetite. I typed the cryptic last line of your message into google and couldn’t find the 2 books, am I missing something? thanks again