a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pull up form at selection

Ski

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I was wondering how much emphasis is on the pull up form. I can do 20 pull ups at the moment (the last 5 are a bit of a struggle).

Are the pullups at selection dead hang in between reps? I usually do 80% - 90% close to dead hang. Obviously beginning at the dead hang.

Adding to it, I follow some serving legionnaires and have seen some pull up clips. Their form is about the same as mine (not a full dead hang, muscles still under tention)

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
7 is the required standard, at the moment. ..and if you can not make 7, you will go no futher (when you walk thru the gate to enlist, you will be tested)
From what you declare, you will have no problem doing so, good !
Legion or no Legion, the more you can do, the better for you (keep up the good work)

Ski

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
7 is the required standard, at the moment. ..and if you can not make 7, you will go no futher (when you walk thru the gate to enlist, you will be tested)
From what you declare, you will have no problem doing so, good !
Legion or no Legion, the more you can do, the better for you (keep up the good work)
Thanks for your praise. I talked to a currently serving legionaire on social media, he said that 20pull ups and palier 10/11 on the luc Leger should make me be a considered candidate in the summer time. I'd hate to be sent back home empty handed, so I do my best while I have the choice

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I read on the forum that 15+ Pull ups is “excellent” which I am sure translates to considered candidate even though it was some time ago.

Ski

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I read on the forum that 15+ Pull ups is “excellent” which I am sure translates to considered candidate even though it was some time ago.
Yeah my query was about the form. I go about 80-90% down. Not exactly a dead hang. Though I see serving legionaires that do the same.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yeah my query was about the form. I go about 80-90% down. Not exactly a dead hang. Though I see serving legionaires that do the same.
Ye they maybe do, and you can do that once you get in but for selection you'll be asked to do them from dead hang and up- chin above bar.

Ski

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Ye they maybe do, and you can do that once you get in but for selection you'll be asked to do them from dead hang and up- chin above bar.
Yeah will do. I don't really count it as a pull up if the chin doesn't go above the bar. You probably couldn't tell the difference between complete deadhang or 90%, it's more of the muscles turning off or staying on.

Ski

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Found out the requirements.
Form is everything. Minimum 7 pull ups, chin above bar, elbows locked. Dead hang at each rep. Fuck me that's a set back. Hopefully not too much of a decrease in reps on my part

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Found out the requirements.
Form is everything. Minimum 7 pull ups, chin above bar, elbows locked. Dead hang at each rep. Fuck me that's a set back. Hopefully not too much of a decrease in reps on my part
You are good enough in pull ups. It's better to do 15 really good ones (with pause down) then 20 where some may be little suspicious.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I still have never got my head round all this worry about fitness I just don’t get it and it convinced me to just think a lot of you are parked up here just dreaming.
I might not have known much about the Legion prior to joining but this is what I thought
Firstly I’m a red head fair skinned Jock so heat and sun was going to be a problem I just new fitness would play a part and speaking French so I arrived in shape as that’s all I had no French to speak or understand and hate the sun and heat, Calvi was fun collecting our kit we were playing on the rope and bars most guys could hold their own top of the rope with just Arms it was a bit tougher on some but after a bit of time most guys cracked it!
If you are not reasonable fit stay at home if you ain’t got a big heart and take a bit of pain and discomfort to meet the requirements and if you don’t intend to join show your cards I don’t mind if this site is allowing you to dream but just do me a favour if your going then go if your not be honest to yourself but for gods sake if you can’t rattle out a good 15/20 chins don’t waste the fair or donate the same to a good military cause Or to the Legion Vets but wake up see the trees as often this site pushes my buttons Who said your only as fast as your slowest man!
My slant is don’t let the slowest in 😀
Problem solved.

Ski

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I still have never got my head round all this worry about fitness I just don’t get it and it convinced me to just think a lot of you are parked up here just dreaming.
I might not have known much about the Legion prior to joining but this is what I thought
Firstly I’m a red head fair skinned Jock so heat and sun was going to be a problem I just new fitness would play a part and speaking French so I arrived in shape as that’s all I had no French to speak or understand and hate the sun and heat, Calvi was fun collecting our kit we were playing on the rope and bars most guys could hold their own top of the rope with just Arms it was a bit tougher on some but after a bit of time most guys cracked it!
If you are not reasonable fit stay at home if you ain’t got a big heart and take a bit of pain and discomfort to meet the requirements and if you don’t intend to join show your cards I don’t mind if this site is allowing you to dream but just do me a favour if your going then go if your not be honest to yourself but for gods sake if you can’t rattle out a good 15/20 chins don’t waste the fair or donate the same to a good military cause Or to the Legion Vets but wake up see the trees as often this site pushes my buttons Who said your only as fast as your slowest man!
Problem solved.

Fair point as usual. The reason why I'm pretty worried about the pullups is because I read a "Aubagne experience" story and apparently 7 men got sent back for not locking their elbows.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Problem solved.

I mean. My intention is not argue with you, but i would like some explanations here. (As much as I love you I'm always having hard time understanding what you saying... you north Britains :))

Am guess in your time fitness isn't so important (of course they would let in some fat fack). Now I think things are changed. Isn't enough anymore just to be really willing to join (just my opinion). Jo have to show some level of fitness. Nothing too much, but reasonably fit for active young man.

You saying you self that 15/20 pull ups are norm? And then you say "most guys could hold their own top of the rope with just Arms ". How's that? That's two statements don't go together

Ski

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I mean. My intention is not argue with you, but i would like some explanations here. (As much as I love you I'm always having hard time understanding what you saying... you north Britains :))

Am guess in your time fitness isn't so important (of course they would let in some fat fack). Now I think things are changed. Isn't enough anymore just to be really willing to join (just my opinion). Jo have to show some level of fitness. Nothing too much, but reasonably fit for active young man.

You saying you self that 15/20 pull ups are norm? And then you say "most guys could hold their own top of the rope with just Arms ". How's that? That's two statements don't go together
I think he's saying that people could do the rope climb without leg assistance

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I think he's saying that people could do the rope climb without leg assistance

Yes . That's my thoughts too! But as my experience tells me, if one can do 15 really good pull-ups, he can somehow climb F-ing 5m rope without usage of legs? I'm I right?

Ski

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Yes . That's my thoughts too! But as my experience tells me, if one can do 15 really good pull-ups, he can somehow climb F-ing 5m rope without usage of legs? I'm I right?
Yeah Bro, I've tried a couple times. The hardest part is getting down without rope burn

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Yeah Bro, I've tried a couple times. The hardest part is getting down without rope burn
It's not hardest, but I'm know what you talkin about. You can use your legs while coming down. ;)

Ski

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
It's not hardest, but I'm know what you talkin about. You can use your legs while coming down. ;)
Yep.

Another edit: when they say locked, they mean your lats. DON'T LOCK YOUR ELBOWS, YOU NEED ARM TENSION. if you lock your elbows, you will be causing damage.