a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pull up form at selection

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
I mean. My intention is not argue with you, but i would like some explanations here. (As much as I love you I'm always having hard time understanding what you saying... you north Britains :))

Am guess in your time fitness isn't so important (of course they would let in some fat fack). Now I think things are changed. Isn't enough anymore just to be really willing to join (just my opinion). Jo have to show some level of fitness. Nothing too much, but reasonably fit for active young man.

You saying you self that 15/20 pull ups are norm? And then you say "most guys could hold their own top of the rope with just Arms ". How's that? That's two statements don't go together

One is the bar for chins
One is the rope
Two different things

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
One is the bar for chins
One is the rope
Two different things

Yes they are different things, but you using almost all same muscles in bout exercises.

I'm pretty sure that is really hard to find on who is really good in pull-ups and bad in rope climbing and vice versa.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Yes they are different things, but you using almost all same muscles in bout exercises.

I'm pretty sure that is really hard to find on who is really good in pull-ups and bad in rope climbing and vice versa.

Think you will be suprised but first you will have to get out of your chair and pyjamas as one who i class as just parking up on this site and not going to join,I would not let this worry you to much but if you ever do venture outside give them both a try then post a reply as a doer not a dreamer 😀

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Worry more on the running than the pull ups in my opinion.

Start dead hang, avoid swinging and kipping, don't cheat with momentum/80-90%.
Palms facing away.

Personally, I would suggest using a bare minimum pullup bar. Or a 2x4 or a branch. Avoid using fancy gloves or chalk or the grips on the bar (there will be none of this in the field.

For practical reasons, I will suggest you practise a hook grip (don't use your thumbs) because you don't know how thick or thin the pullup bar is.

-

As for climbing rope without legs. Practise and lose weight. Maybe use an elastic band too. Climbing a rope uses similar muscles to a chin-up.

Hold it about head level or nose level.
Take a deep breath, grip the rope and burst of strength and get up and your arms locked.
Keep breathing throughout. Move your lower arm up and pull yourself upward. Keep your abs tight.
Keep on doing this until you reach the top.
Sometimes you might not be able to pull yourself up the rope. As long as you can keep putting one hand above the other and pulling yourself up.

When you're at the top of the rope, slightly adjust the grip and do 1-3 rope pullups.
Move one hand down after you do a rope pullup.
Tug a bit upward with all your strength, then move another hand down and keep a steady grip.
Eventually, you will lower yourself to the floor or very close to the floor.

Most importantly, practise this slowly and aim for perfect climbs. Absolutely no chalk or gloves ever.
Climb slowly and don't use momentum. Descend slowly and avoid relying on gravity.
You will develop callouses and blisters on your fingers and palm. These are signs your hand is getting used to climbing and your grip is much stronger.

mulgarat

Actual or Ex Legionnaire - Donator
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
Tip: Just don't do them like this.
hlxjgwy.gif

mulgarat

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
A couple of years ago bought this book on Amazon Kindle and pretty well finished the weekly progression program through to the last week (Week 26). Mixes military calisthenics with lots of running. Was perfect for me because I work out bush and we have miles of cross country tracks and a good gym. It was a personal challenge and was one of those things I would recommend to anyone thinking of joining the Legion or other Army that has more than a light focus on personal fitness.
Since then I've stuck to Bodyweight Calisthenics and occasional running. Fitter now at 50 than at 23, BMI is at 23.
https://www.amazon.com.au/Commando-Fitness-civilians-potential-recruits-ebook/dp/B00CDQ8ICQ

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
When i was in aubagne the serbian guy i done my sport tests with. Basically done his pull ups like that mulgarat and wasnt stopped or corrected. Also the italian doing it with us didnt use proper form i would say and he was fine. But definetly train proper form as you never know who will be testing you. They are standard pull up bars you use so practice whatever grip is comfiest. Best way i found was just take an hour everyday and keep doing pull ups until fail i just used a bar that hooked on bedroom door. Once your nearer the time of leaving for france practice your pull ups after your luc leger because you will only be aloud a small time to rest👍🏿

mulgarat

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
When i was in aubagne the serbian guy i done my sport tests with. Basically done his pull ups like that mulgarat and wasnt stopped or corrected. Also the italian doing it with us didnt use proper form i would say and he was fine. But definetly train proper form as you never know who will be testing you. They are standard pull up bars you use so practice whatever grip is comfiest. Best way i found was just take an hour everyday and keep doing pull ups until fail i just used a bar that hooked on bedroom door. Once your nearer the time of leaving for france practice your pull ups after your luc leger because you will only be aloud a small time to rest👍🏿

Things change I guess or the Cadre observing was not applying the standard. A pullup is a pullup. Butterfly kipping is not a pullup. I could not find for Armee de Terre, let the Airforce show the methode stricte:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=So7uUvjrxYk

GuidoLovarini

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I dont think he was paying much attention because all 3 of us where not crossing the lines correctly in the beep yest towards the end aswell and we were aloud to continue

EV1981

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
You’re just cheating yourself if you do less than dead hang pull-ups. Practice perfect form even if your rep count goes down. Before long, the reps you can do should go back up. The only way to get good at pull-ups is to do pull-ups! And the only way to get good at dead hang pull-ups is to do dead hang pull-ups.

rashisan

Reaction score
Home Country
Bulgaria
How the things changed since i left the selection center in Paris on 4th of January....so i saw people passing to Aubagne with 3 pull ups. Anyway you will have maybe 2 weeks where you can fit yourself outside Foyer. But remember and this is to all wannabes...your biggest concern is the IQ test that you will try to pass after entering the FL and then you will have another one where most of the guys are failing. Anyway little boys, train your BRAINS as well, else you all gonna screwup!!!

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Oh dear, all that angst about pull ups and push ups, and whatnot. Sounds like to me the legion might be turning into another Cirque Soleil. None of this kind of rubish when I enlisted. Justa quick medical check to see if all bits and pieces were present, not looking too down and out, probably about the age he says he is, not too much of a criminal record that we know about.

Ok, that will do. Drop all your civilian stuff over there, if you’ve got any. Two packs of cigarettes, in exchange for whatever It’s worth. Shut up, you’re a legionnaire now.

Now, that was the legion I fell in ......... with. Not love, just a place where I liked to be. A new home.
(ok, it was 1957 in Algeria)

Legio Patria Nostra, More Majorum.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Well said Jonny. When I had my medical it was to check a sound body, heart and lungs. I was one of the shorter brethren. I doubt that many of us had heard about this form of physical training. It was left to the PTIs' to enlighten us. You either passed or failed and that was it. The only second chance came through a broken limb. And sadly we had people die on the course. Now of course it is a case of; Autres temps autres moeurs.

All this angst is pathetic crap. I can't believe this LMF. Simply get fit and go for it.

Chas RMV202918-Mne-20/06/1956. Trained by former WW2 Cdos.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
You said, " pull "...?
Aye,you did!
I read the thread. ..so, i knows!
You said, ..."PULL"...
..................so, I did ( as if i was pulling a Rastafari off your mutha....mes excuses, d 'avance aux Rastafaries x)

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
You said, " pull "...?
Aye,you did!
I read the thread. ..so, i knows!
You said, ..."PULL"...
..................so, I did ( as if i was pulling a Rastafari off your mutha....mes excuses, d 'avance aux Rastafaries x)

That about sums it up Andy. Don't forget there's always the edit button.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
For the legion (my time) the importance, was, " Apte or Inapte", Parra
If you had the least of deformity of the spine. ...= inapte Parra
If you have flat feet. ..direction the Cavalerie (1 REC)
If you have neither. ..you are condemmed to 2. R.E.I.
....I knows , I was one

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Any test BITD and no way would I ever have got in I no that for certain but would I want to join the Legion in 2018 probably not so feel quite lucky to be an old fart, and not having to navigate what some of you are to get enlisted.
It was more about fitness and mentality not what was between the ears but if you could learn the language (I struggled) well I struggled with most things apart from fitness and to this day would hold my own and still do as I still like to put myself up against othersto this day, as in age groups their is some fit old timers about!

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
IQ TEST
I should have made clear in last post 🤪

It's not clear Papillon .:)

Of course, they will not take half-idiot (hope so :)). but still you have to have at least about average IQ.

Yes, physical fitness its still important (and should be), but time when was enough to efficiently break enemy skulls with axe is long time gone.

I mean ... one should be able to learn commands in French (Legion's French) If not ... what's the point of 40 pull-ups and running like horse?

Not think that I'm so good in "ars bellica". But yes, Intelligence is always good thing for soldier to have.

Last edited: