a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Push ups(press ups) and pull ups- should I focus on the form or just the number?

himalayan

Reaction score
Home Country
Nepal
Good evening (or morning/afternoon depending on where your rump's resting right now)
The title is self-explanatory but I'd like to elaborate a little. I am aware that in order to be considered in the legion you need to be able to able to carry out a certain number of pull ups and push ups in a row. I am training push ups at home right now focussing on the correct form but I have found that there is a huge slump in the no. of repetitions when I try to maintain the right form- i.e., elbows unflared, chest touching the ground ensuring a full ROM, butt clenched, quads contracted etc. Now I guess that during the screening the recruiters are only interested in the number, not the form; however, I also feel that preferring number to form might hold me from attaining the strength that I would achieve with a proper form. I'd like to ask you what would you recommend me to do: focus on the form and gradually increase the number , or just ditch the form and max my pull ups/press ups?

Have a nice evening

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Himalayan, I doubt that style is important. It is not a beauty pageant. Simply perform and do your best.:sneaky:
Carpe diem.
Mehra hookum soono. Jaldi jao. Um kutch cota nai monkta.;)

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Hello,

Just thought I'd add my two cents, and while I can't comment on what the Legion wants, many places seem to value form, but that doesn't mean you can't have both.

If you're having a slump after a certain point, you're just not doing it enough to progress.

It's very simple. Something called SAID aka Specific Adaptation To Imposed Demands aka you want to get better at push ups, you do push ups.

Consistency is the key here. I used to barely be able to do 5 push ups. I was doing too much of everything. I switched to the basics, and kept consistent with it. I started at 10 sets of 10 push ups, increased by 5 reps per week. Now I can do 100 in a row without breaking form.

I wouldn't look at any sort of... "shortcuts". I'm not saying you're doing this or want to do this, but at the end of the day, progressing physically hurts, but you have to be able to push through it. Those 10 sets of 10 push ups the first week were HELL, for somebody that never bothered with push ups before.

Improving takes time, so stay consistent and have patience. You'll get there if you keep at it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
In my day the PTIs' ensured you achieved the standard and level of fitness required. All that was required of you, was that you were fit for your size, had two arms, two legs, healthy lungs and heart.

When it came to the Commando Course you either passed or failed. No second chance unless due to injury. (My instructors were former WW2 Cdos) Not to be messed with.

Failures either became ship Marines, small boat handlers or undertook more sedentary posts such as storemen etc. Others simply were booted out. In 1956 there were 450 RMs' on HMS Vanguard. By 1960 there was a massive clear out since every RM other than the Band Service (Best Mil Band in the world) had to complete the commando course.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Quality versus Quantity?
If it passes production control, okay, but try and raise your standards (and at evry time)
It's always the first 100 are the easiest

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
End of the day when getting a good beasting.. You'll get tired so your Form will not be perfect. Just keep pushing out to failure. Does not matter how many you can do in good Form because you'll be beasted untill they see people in muscular failure. Do close Grip Push UPS too. You'll build good tricep strength. Wide, shoulder width..also close. Do tricep dips off your bed or bath, hands behind back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Of course the most important are as below shoulder width but if you have strong Triceps, you'll be better. You'll notice as people tire they will start to do wide ones as it's easier. Shorter range of Motion.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I am aware that in order to be considered in the legion you need to be able to able to carry out a certain number of pull ups and push ups in a row.
Hi Himalayan, there is no 'test' per se for push ups to join the legion. You will always see recruits doing push ups as a punishment for one reason or another. When you get to Castel, you will have have tests on the number of push ups that you can do. It's good to train on them, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Hi Himalayan, there is no 'test' per se for push ups to join the legion. You will always see recruits doing push ups as a punishment for one reason or another. When you get to Castel, you will have have tests on the number of push ups that you can do. It's good to train on them, but I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Yes...& a lot of running too..haha. Stress positions, Holding the Push up half way point..all nice things :D

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
I was never Legion but in my short four weeks there I cranked out plenty. Long if your head clears the bar without too much kicking and long if you push the world down (it's the FFL, FFS) rather than push up, you are golden.

Just having banter. Just push up and pull up. Don't overthink it dude.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
This is definetelly overthinking. Let's simplify: instead of pushing the body up try pushing the earth away (push ups) and instead of pulling your body up try grabbing the bar and pulling it down.
I'm joking of course.
Repetition is mother of all training, respecting form while doing it will avoid injuries.
Repetition!!!

himalayan

Reaction score
Home Country
Nepal
I thank you all for your valuable input. For a few days I am following advice of this guy (https://www.expertboxing.com/boxing-training/boxing-workouts/proper-push-up-technique) as what he says seems to be somewhat legit (is a boxing coach and ex serviceman). According to the guy you need to focus on itervals, i.e. gotta be able to perform as much reps as you can within a certain time frame rather than counting the number of [ insert an exercise] performed throughout the day. In the same blog he also says that we can get buff by just doing push ups:

t’s a common routine for guys in the military or in jail to get really ripped and get 18″ arms just by doing push-ups. The common routine is to do 1500 push-ups a day. That’s 30 sets of 50. And it will probably take you 30 minutes to do.

Although for the moment getting buff is not my priority ( it's a desirable trait nonetheless), what is your opinion regarding this? I just want to make sure that this guy isn't just bluffing but does know what he says.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Himalayan, it seems that you are looking too much into this push-ups thing. It's almost a fixation. You will be disappointed in Aubagne if you are failed because you cannot run more than the Luc Leger and do 7 pullups (not to mention the push ups). The EVs do go jogging around the park in the mornings and probably do a few push-ups :p, but other than that there is no record to break in Aubagne concerning push ups.
Try out your IQ test.:oops:

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Himalayan, it seems that you are looking too much into this push-ups thing. It's almost a fixation. You will be disappointed in Aubagne if you are failed because you cannot run more than the Luc Leger and do 7 pullups (not to mention the push ups). The EVs do go jogging around the park in the mornings and probably do a few push-ups :p, but other than that there is no record to break in Aubagne concerning push ups.
Spot on...brains too not just Brawn

himalayan

Reaction score
Home Country
Nepal
Himalayan, it seems that you are looking too much into this push-ups thing. It's almost a fixation.

Agree. Seems like some ''push up freak'' had cast a spell on me, which now seems to be wearing of; Proof- now I am doing less of them!