a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about retirement

Atoxsz

Reaction score
Home Country
Hungary
Hello,
My name is Attila, my son is serving currently on his first contract. My son said that he is planning to stay with the Legion another 5 years after his current contract is up in just over 2 years. I was wondering if he will get any kind of retirement checks after his 2nd contract. I heard that you have to serve 17 years for a proper pension, but I couldn't find any info on if you get anything after 10 years. I hope I'm asking at the right place. He told me I can get a lot of info on this site. Thanks for any input.
Go Legion!

Don Pedro

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
Correct, to get a full pension, he has to serve 17 years. At 10 years of service, he isn't entitled to much, but I suggest you get in touch with him and have him ask the Company clerk(s) for more information, to what he ‘may be’ entitled to, for 10 years.

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Nearly nothing before 17 years as pension, except if he got wounded. Another possibility : he becomes French and then has special conversion possibilities after 11 years to the civilian administration.

But I don't know if it is still applicable to legionnaires