a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about the modern day Foreign Legion

IRL_legion

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
And by the way this is FFL website, not USMC. I'm sure there is plenty of corps dedicated sites where you can share your "pieces of advice".

And yet you've not joined so what makes you more qualified to give advice on a "FFL website" or to tell someone else not to share their advice?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
And yet you've not joined so what makes you more qualified to give advice on a "FFL website" or to tell someone else not to share their advice?

Nothing makes me more qualified, but dispute isn't about that.

I have no intentions to personally explaining to anyone who don't get it what is problem here.

Few will understand, others will dislike me. Nothing new.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Well, my internet was down for 17 hours and what happens? USMCRET, stay with us and keep giving good advice,

Dusa, USMC don't like being called army. As in the legion once a legionnaire always a legionnaire. Advice is just that, you take it or you don't. I can't see where the problem is.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Oh boy, what a cat fight over some thingy kind of military kind of language definition.

I reckon the word ‘military’ kind of covers most branches of the armed forces.

However, with respect to the initial post; from what I have been reading it seems to me like the legion training today is a lot less humane than it was in the 1950s. I those days the emphasise was on being combat ready, i.e. weapon handling and physical build up. Followed by discipline, team spirit and general cleanlyness and order, as well as military drills, and of course singing while marching. In other words, not much different from most other armies. No brutality whatsoever, but firmness, yes.

But then again, my instructors were all WW2 and Indo China veterans, and they knew exactly what we recruits had to learn to survive in Algeria, and to carry on the legion traditions.

I might have a pic from my training platoon in Mascara, Algeria 1957. See if I can find it.

jonny

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Legion training camp, Mascara, Algeria 1957

751B1F2E-983E-44A3-A8BF-59E4C2358AC5.jpeg

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Well, my internet was down for 17 hours and what happens? USMCRET, stay with us and keep giving good advice,

Dusa, USMC don't like being called army. As in the legion once a legionnaire always a legionnaire. Advice is just that, you take it or you don't. I can't see where the problem is.

Ok, Ok. I would call him Captain America if he want that. just get over with this Ex-former-army-soldier-marine thing

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Oh boy, what a cat fight over some thingy kind of military kind of language definition.

I reckon the word ‘military’ kind of covers most branches of the armed forces.

However, with respect to the initial post; from what I have been reading it seems to me like the legion training today is a lot less humane than it was in the 1950s. I those days the emphasise was on being combat ready, i.e. weapon handling and physical build up. Followed by discipline, team spirit and general cleanlyness and order, as well as military drills, and of course singing while marching. In other words, not much different from most other armies. No brutality whatsoever, but firmness, yes.

But then again, my instructors were all WW2 and Indo China veterans, and they knew exactly what we recruits had to learn to survive in Algeria, and to carry on the legion traditions.

I might have a pic from my training platoon in Mascara, Algeria 1957. See if I can find it.
Amen.

enjolras

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
2REP still very "hands-on" these days, any bullying cadre (usually) get washed out eventually. Hence usually higher proportions of desertion, especially if there's minimal deployments.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Ok, Ok. I would call him Captain America if he want that. just get over with this Ex-former-army-soldier-marine thing
USMC boot camp is a lot harder physically and mentally than Army basic training thus it is considered that they “earn” the title of Marine even though the military (any branch) doesn’t give you anything unless you earn it, sometimes not even then. USMC boot camp is very infantry oriented even if you don’t have a combat job with higher marksmanship standards as well. Although it is my impression that OSUT and boot camp/SOI are pretty much the same other than that the latter has higher initial PFT standards and more amphibious shit.

spooker

Reaction score
Home Country
India
2REP still very "hands-on" these days, any bullying cadre (usually) get washed out eventually. Hence usually higher proportions of desertion, especially if there's minimal deployments.
What about the other regiments like the 2eREI, the REGs, 13eDBLE?

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
USMC boot camp is a lot harder physically and mentally than Army basic training thus it is considered that they “earn” the title of Marine even though the military (any branch) doesn’t give you anything unless you earn it, sometimes not even then. USMC boot camp is very infantry oriented even if you don’t have a combat job with higher marksmanship standards as well. Although it is my impression that OSUT and boot camp/SOI are pretty much the same other than that the latter has higher initial PFT standards and more amphibious shit.

I like USMC boot camp but I don't get constant screaming of instructors. or they do that all the time during boot camp or only when they want to put recruits under pressure. I think it's loses impact and desired effect if they do that often.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It has to shout, if not no one would under stand or hear, if you prefer. ..especialy recruits

enjolras

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
French Polynesia
What about the other regiments like the 2eREI, the REGs, 13eDBLE?
From what I hear there's not a lot, if there is it is usually out of place. I have heard 2REI can be pretty dismal at times though and 3REI as well.