a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question for fellow big people

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I have been training for quite a well and I am in very good shape; I can easily pass each sports test and have been practicing each for months.

I know the Legion has some sort of favoritism or preference for lean, hungry looking guys.

I am in good shape, but I have been blessed (or cursed :)) with having a large muscle mass. Always having big shoulders and big arms.

I have been trying to cut out any weight work outs and just do cardo, save for my pull ups. And yet I still have more "bulk" than I would wish.

It is getting down to the final run through as it is finally in the months, not years before my departure. I know that I easily surpass the basic physical standards (especially in running) that the Legion requires; but I am still worried that I may not have the proper "look".

204lbs, 6ft even and short of starving myself is there any advice to gain a leaner look? I am finally up to double digits with pull ups so I am afraid if I go on an extreme cardio extremely low calorie intake workout then I will lose what took me so long to gain.

MRLeJ

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Its just the way your born mm66. Your what you call a Mesomorph, your naturally bulkie and big boned and I'm sure the legion will know that and take it onboard.

mm66

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thank you, that actually puts my mind a little more at ease so to speak. I cannot believe I had never heard of the term Mesomorph; it does seemingly define what I am. I've always had these really broad shoulders and huge thighs but I have gotten down to a narrow waist.

It did take me almost a year and a half of work to be able to get to 12 pull-ups. For me, that is the hardest exercise known to man

MRLeJ

Reaction score
Home Country
England
The good thing about pull ups is they work the back and your abs as well your arms so yeah there a good exercise if you dont have any equipment.. I reackon I cound do about 12 also but that's overhand pull ups but I can do over 20 underhand but you have to remember I'm about 160lb wet through :p

I dont know what the legion is looking for exactly but I dont think they would exclude someone just because there born a bit bulkier than the average man.

epsa

Reaction score
Home Country
Russian Federation
I'm 5'11 and 180lbs. And was worried about the same thing, too. Asked a bodybuilder friend of mine who basically said: run sprints and do 500+ squats a day and your legs will start to fade.
I could add that you should change your diet, for example like in The Zone, do more functional cardio, with no big weights and not to failure as they grow muscle and just move around more, go hiking, camping, swimming all day. No sitting in front of the box.
It sound like stupid, but i dieted on water only one day last week and that was it, it triggered me to eat less.
I'm just a wannabe but preparing seriously for the army, so thought i could advice smth. Proceed with caution. Good luck.

Geronimo89

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
I have the same dilemma as you man, I am same height but 105kg. I can do all the things that I read are required (though I did 2600 m run not the beep test myself) and I have good upper body strength for my weight. The problem is that I read they check your height and weight before the physical test, which means they can refuse you without knowing what you can do. Guess ill try to cut down to 90kg some time before joining, by eating only vegetables and some meat (works)

mm66

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
ya in the month before my departure, I'll probably go on an extreme caloric reduction to try and further streamline my weight. Goal is 175 but I don't know if I will hit it.

MRLeJ

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Use guys should never and I mean NEVER eat less and do exercise that will only fcuk you up.. Pick a diet that will cut all fats out..

Breakfast - Hot oats with fruit

snack - Hand full of mixed nuts

Lunch - Tuna Salad make sure there is boiled eggs and at least 3 different kinds of vegetables on your plate

snack - natural yoghurt + fruit

Dinner - Grilled salmon or really lean meats like turkey or chicken with a mix of vegetables or rice

Tips - when making salads try adding small amounts of rice to it to make it more nutritious or new potatos

You need to eat all through the day and that will help you loose weight!! Honestly it speeds up your metabolism and keeps it working making it burn more fat and energy and if you exercise also that will burn what your body cannot and BANG your not a fat arse!! Eat clever exercise clever and then be as clever as me!!

But on a serious note if you diet and exercise the wrong way you will lose fitness and all you have worked to.

Geronimo89

Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
One of these days I gotta try out a diet like that. So far I trained hard but never really thought about my diet ( I just eat a lot, whatever I like and it did fine for me).
It brought me to a large but muscular physique that I am content with, but it obviously needs to change for me to be accepted in FFL.

dadoX

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Serbia
I was alwayse hate that little word "diet"... I'm not saying that is not good, but for losing weight I will alwayse pick other option like I did, running. I was 93kg, now with running I burn myself to about 85kg.

Reaction score
Home Country
Australia
I have been training for quite a well and I am in very good shape; I can easily pass each sports test and have been practicing each for months.

I know the Legion has some sort of favoritism or preference for lean, hungry looking guys.

I am in good shape, but I have been blessed (or cursed :)) with having a large muscle mass. Always having big shoulders and big arms.

I have been trying to cut out any weight work outs and just do cardo, save for my pull ups. And yet I still have more "bulk" than I would wish.

It is getting down to the final run through as it is finally in the months, not years before my departure. I know that I easily surpass the basic physical standards (especially in running) that the Legion requires; but I am still worried that I may not have the proper "look".

204lbs, 6ft even and short of starving myself is there any advice to gain a leaner look? I am finally up to double digits with pull ups so I am afraid if I go on an extreme cardio extremely low calorie intake workout then I will lose what took me so long to gain.

does the legion not like bulk? i have seen some pics and docs with some big arse legionairees

Goblin

Reaction score
Home Country
Ireland
I remember a few weeks ago when I started getting serious - no more sugary foods/snacks and eating alot of veg and my 5 portions of fruit per day. It hit my system like a train. The initial effects were ghastly ( save you the details) but I am much healthier now. It was worth it.

dustdevil

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
I remember a few weeks ago when I started getting serious - no more sugary foods/snacks and eating alot of veg and my 5 portions of fruit per day. It hit my system like a train. The initial effects were ghastly ( save you the details) but I am much healthier now. It was worth it.

With or with out pesticides ?