a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Questions @Bottom

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Apologies for my format, I can’t seem to have it spaced how I intended via the phone app.
Age 25 American, Have tattoos that cover up scars from when I was 16. Attempting to join the FFL because the US denied me for life from “self-harm”.
Just finished my last year of Collegiate Gymnastics. Previous injuries 2 Knee surgeries Meniscus removal from when I was 17. Scars are hardly noticeable but noticeable if you’re looking for them. I’m going for 2REP GCP after all my research. Obviously lie I’ve never cut myself (from when I was 16 was only top of arms never suicidal). Lie I’ve never had knee surgeries (As they have zero effect on me)
Current Athletic Times :
Pull ups : 22,
Push-Ups 70,
Sit Ups 100,
2 mile Run 12 minutes,
11mins 30 seconds 500m Swim Combat Side Stroke (CSS)
I’ve practiced the Luc Leger got to level 11 (Not sure if I have the right sound files or not)
Average Ruck Time on hilly terrain / 14 mins a mile with 50lbs
Furthest Ruck 8 miles (2 hours w/ 50lbs)
Furthest Run 5 miles (50 mins)
Training for a minimum of 3 more months before I head out
I understand some French and Speak a little equivalent of 1 years worth of college recently learned/learning past year.
I’m currently training the PAST (Air Force PJ selection training) and am training with Airmen / PJ and the Airforce buddies I have. Scored an 80 on the ASVAB so I’m not worried about the IQ tests.
What are my chances of rejection if scars are noticed through tattoos ? When lying and not breaking. Same with my knees which are not tattooed. Do I get more tattoos that flow with my current to make them non visible? Insights, opinions? Partially concerned about the why not join your own military question but that’s about it. I am also missing my right pectoral muscle (born without it) It obviously doesn’t hold me back from anything athletic, it’s more of a look / if I take a bullet there it’s straight rib cage. Our military had no issue with it. Only if it’s con-caved would they.
Would love any feed back / criticism potential things I should work on etc.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Apologies for my format, I can’t seem to have it spaced how I intended via the phone app.
Age 25 American, Have tattoos that cover up scars from when I was 16. Attempting to join the FFL because the US denied me for life from “self-harm”.
Just finished my last year of Collegiate Gymnastics. Previous injuries 2 Knee surgeries Meniscus removal from when I was 17. Scars are hardly noticeable but noticeable if you’re looking for them. I’m going for 2REP GCP after all my research. Obviously lie I’ve never cut myself (from when I was 16 was only top of arms never suicidal). Lie I’ve never had knee surgeries (As they have zero effect on me)
Current Athletic Times :
Push-Ups 70,
Sit Ups 100,
2 mile Run 12 minutes,
I’ve practiced the Luc Leger got to level 11 (Not sure if I have the right sound files or not)
I understand some French and Speak a little equivalent of 1 years worth of college recently learned/learning past year.
I’m currently training the PAST (Air Force PJ selection training) and am training with Airmen / PJ and the Airforce buddies I have. Scored an 80 on the ASVAB so I’m not worried about the IQ tests.
What are my chances of rejection if scars are noticed through tattoos ? When lying and not breaking. Same with my knees which are not tattooed. Do I get more tattoos that flow with my current to make them non visible? Insights, opinions? Partially concerned about the why not join your own military question but that’s about it. I am also missing my right pectoral muscle (born without it) It obviously doesn’t hold me back from anything athletic, it’s more of a look / if I take a bullet there it’s straight rib cage. Our military had no issue with it. Only if it’s con-caved would they.
The knee surgeries and missing pectoral muscle are definitely a thing to be concerned about. You have an impressive physical condition, so give it a try since no one can give you a solid answer. Buy an open return ticket just in case you do not get accepted.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I’ve done many activities that could provide evidence for any scars I may have, but I’ve asked on reddit and a few people suggested not mentioning knee surgeries and to just get scar coverup tattoos and things of that nature, was more of seeing important on that end, & thank you for the response.

ctmurray1155

Reaction score
Home Country
Albania
Current Athletic Times :
Push-Ups 70,
Sit Ups 100,
2 mile Run 12 minutes,
I wouldn't bother mate you have already failed the physcometrics let alone your medical which you have just failed with the self harm.
Save your money and join a circus

ctmurray1155

Reaction score
Home Country
Albania
The knee surgeries and missing pectoral muscle are definitely a thing to be concerned about. You have an impressive physical condition, so give it a try since no one can give you a solid answer. Buy an open return ticket just in case you do not get accepted.
Honestly
A little, yes. Unfortunately though in this case it was justified. The legion does not need or want people who self harm.
Exactly Joe I don't understand what the script is with advising incepts to even nock at nogent

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
To state the obvious..there is a possibility that the Legion's recruitment bureau may come across your post(s) so be up front there as you have been here. At one point during basic training ('83/84) I couldn't bend my knees for about 2 months which made it a little challenging to squat in the squatter sh1tters. The meniscus removal was offered to me (thanks but no thanks) but others took that option..so I'm assuming the Legion would be OK with that aspect..depending upon what service branch is amenable. Regarding 2 REP GCP, think SEALS or similarly firefighters. Carry someone (80-85 kg) down 5/6 flights of stairs or do a 100 meter run carrying someone for instance should be doable with relative ease. If you never try something you'll never know so rather than live with the regret of not trying, give whatever you assess as feasible and worthwhile your best effort. Whatever doesn't kill you usually makes you stronger... if you come away from the encounter with a whole skin.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
To state the obvious..there is a possibility that the Legion's recruitment bureau may come across your post(s) so be up front there as you have been here. At one point during basic training ('83/84) I couldn't bend my knees for about 2 months which made it a little challenging to squat in the squatter sh1tters. The meniscus removal was offered to me (thanks but no thanks) but others took that option..so I'm assuming the Legion would be OK with that aspect..depending upon what service branch is amenable. Regarding 2 REP GCP, think SEALS or similarly firefighters. Carry someone (80-85 kg) down 5/6 flights of stairs or do a 100 meter run carrying someone for instance should be doable with relative ease. If you never try something you'll never know so rather than live with the regret of not trying, give whatever you assess as feasible and worthwhile your best effort. Whatever doesn't kill you usually makes you stronger... if you come away from the encounter with a whole skin.
Good sound advice, if it was only his knees that are the problem. He has scared his arms and then covered the scars with tatts.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
@Mr. ctmurray1155,
Since I did not get a reply from you via private message, I ask you via the forum.
I have replied three times to your private message explaining my position.
I like to know if you still think that I am a walt.