a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Questions of medical nature, place of joining, personal objects and overall camaraderie in the Legion

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Brazil
First, as a custom, I will introduce myself: (This is an open forum. You do not have to say anything personnel about yourself. However, if you should give your true name and any personnel details such as medical, psychological or criminal problems, this may jeopardize you chances when you try to join).
My name is Anthony, I am 18 years of age and I am a waiter/food deliverer and I am currently studying law in a somewhat good university in my country. I have been lurking in the Forum for some years, but never actually posted or created an account. I've wanted to join the legion for about 4 years, but personal developments have hindered me from joining this year (2021). I can read and understand french very well, but I don't speak it so good at all, which is something I will improve a lot before going. I am planning to go in the latter part of next year's, which I believe is when I will be physically, psychologically and linguistically ready.

I have a couple of questions which I would be very thankful if answered, since I did not found any answers online:

1- I did a surgery to fix a Boxer's Fracture when I was young (punched somethung drunk and broked my smallest hand finger). However, this poses no problem for me or my hand whatsoever. I can do any kind of movement with it and there is no problem. I do have a (very small) scar from the surgery. Will this fail me in the medical exam or drastically reduce my chances?

2- The Legion takes all of my possessions during training. However, I would like to know if after basic training, I would be able to retrieve books to read in my free time (whenever there is one).

3- I was thinking of joining directly in Augbane. However, I saw a post by someone in this forum tha joining in Paris is actually better. Why so?

4- How is the camaraderie between Legionaires? I've read that they usually form grouos of their own languages/ethnicities. Would speaking and communicating in their mother languages break this "segregation"? Because I come from a country where everyone is friendly, in it that everyone becomes friends easily.

These are my questions, I don't know if I posted in the right section of the forum. Please correct me if I didn't. Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
First, as a custom, I will introduce myself: (This is an open forum. You do not have to say anything personnel about yourself. However, if you should give your true name and any personnel details such as medical, psychological or criminal problems, this may jeopardize you chances when you try to join).
My name is Anthony, I am 18 years of age and I am a waiter/food deliverer and I am currently studying law in a somewhat good university in my country. I have been lurking in the Forum for some years, but never actually posted or created an account. I've wanted to join the legion for about 4 years, but personal developments have hindered me from joining this year (2021). I can read and understand french very well, but I don't speak it so good at all, which is something I will improve a lot before going. I am planning to go in the latter part of next year's, which I believe is when I will be physically, psychologically and linguistically ready.

I have a couple of questions which I would be very thankful if answered, since I did not found any answers online:

1- I did a surgery to fix a Boxer's Fracture when I was young (punched somethung drunk and broked my smallest hand finger). However, this poses no problem for me or my hand whatsoever. I can do any kind of movement with it and there is no problem. I do have a (very small) scar from the surgery. Will this fail me in the medical exam or drastically reduce my chances?

2- The Legion takes all of my possessions during training. However, I would like to know if after basic training, I would be able to retrieve books to read in my free time (whenever there is one).

3- I was thinking of joining directly in Augbane. However, I saw a post by someone in this forum tha joining in Paris is actually better. Why so?

4- How is the camaraderie between Legionaires? I've read that they usually form grouos of their own languages/ethnicities. Would speaking and communicating in their mother languages break this "segregation"? Because I come from a country where everyone is friendly, in it that everyone becomes friends easily.

These are my questions, I don't know if I posted in the right section of the forum. Please correct me if I didn't. Thank you all.
1) probably not.
2) don't take any un necessary items. (read the article on what to take)
3) there is some controversy about that, I am not sure if it is still the case that you get a train ticket back to where you joined.
4) Like with any group of people you will find some undesirable A.. holes, try to stick with French speaking groups.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I realize that it's a bit late for the forum's Miranda warning, however, I spent half an hour making a short cut for it, only to find that it doesn't work on here. So I'll have to do it by link next time.

So welcome Anthony, let's hope that you haven't thrown away your chances.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
1. No but be capable to do 7 pull ups and reach level 7 on the Luc Léger test (beep)
2. Travel light (you might not be accepted afterall)
3. If you join at Aubagne, you will be given a bus ticket to Aubagne rail way station
4. Talk less and listen more (whatever the language)
Learn and perfect by your self...sod camaraderie (it's a distraction)
Speak only when ordered to do so
@ 18 years old, you really do not have much to say !
Welcome to the forum
Avé, we salut you
L.P.C.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Brazil
I realize that it's a bit late for the forum's Miranda warning, however, I spent half an hour making a short cut for it, only to find that it doesn't work on here. So I'll have to do it by link next time.

So welcome Anthony, let's hope that you haven't thrown away your chances.
My real name is not Anthony, however. I just choose the name, because I've read the Miranda Warning and I never post real information about myself online.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Brazil
1) probably not.
2) don't take any un necessary items. (read the article on what to take)
3) there is some controversy about that, I am not sure if it is still the case that you get a train ticket back to where you joined.
4) Like with any group of people you will find some undesirable A.. holes, try to stick with French speaking groups.
Thanks for the information. I will pack just basic clothes and enough money to get back.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Brazil
1. No but be capable to do 7 pull ups and reach level 7 on the Luc Léger test (beep)
2. Travel light (you might not be accepted afterall)
3. If you join at Aubagne, you will be given a bus ticket to Aubagne rail way station
4. Talk less and listen more (whatever the language)
Learn and perfect by your self...sod camaraderie (it's a distraction)
Speak only when ordered to do so
@ 18 years old, you really do not have much to say !
Welcome to the forum
Avé, we salut you
L.P.C.
I won't go until I can do at least 15-20 pull ups and easily do the Luc Léger. Thanks for the information. I will make a post about my progress in the future (probably next year).

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Anthony,

sorry about the my original welcome, but it's best to put you on your guard. Does your pinky finger (small finger) hinder you in way in climbing a rope? This may sound a silly question (if it came from someone else ;)), but although you are only required to do pull ups in order to get in, you will be required to climb a rope in basic training.
Never tried to climb a rope? Now is the occasion.

As for taking your books with check out the following:
What to take, where to▶️ stay and how to get there.

There is also (highly recommended) YouTube:

Joining the Legion? Here is what to take

&

Joining the Legion? The one that got away

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
England
sometimes i wish i could join but of course as a woman i can´t. The threads are so exciting !
Shirly xx

Most viewed threads of the week