a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Quora - What should I know before joining...

Hawkeye47

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Seem, like people that dont want there countrymen going to the legion (Americans/Brits) Hence you see them, say to join the Marines, or the British military.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
https://www.quora.com/What-should-I-know-before-I-join-the-French-Foreign-Legion/answers/38594828#

The above link points to an `ancien's` experience during his contract.

I had also seen a few things during my time but not to the degree depicted within the above post.
Can someone with a fresher perspective weigh-in please?

I had to leave the 3rd Cie REP in Nov 99 (inapte definitive TAP). It's a petty he didn't have the cojones to put his real name, a trou duc like him I would have remembered. I can only think that he was a fovorite for corvée ordinaire during weekends. I can tell you I have no idea of which officers he was talking about, perhaps he met some from another regiment. I'll avoid a cheap dig at other regiments.

What is more the company went overseas in November which is why I had to leave. I was inapte TAP but could stay in the regiment and still get my jump pay. The jumps were taken off of deserters. But I couldn't go overseas with the company which was going as a para company. So I was sent to 5 RE French polynesia.

And this whinging ****er just gets there and goes on a 4 month tour. I'm surprised he hadn't complained about the food and how much his boots hurt him during long marches.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Some of that sounds familiar, except in my time (Algeria) it was between variousfactions of Germans, Italians, Spaniards, Hungarians and the rest. Officers? A mixed bunch, some exelent with Indo China experience, and some St Syrians who couldn't read a map if their life depended on it, and got us consistantly lost in the mountains.

Otherwise; the legion is a tough place, and there are certainly many other armies that are better places to serve in. However, not as adventourous, if I should put one word to my own experience in its ranks.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Some of that sounds familiar, except in my time (Algeria) it was between variousfactions of Germans, Italians, Spaniards, Hungarians and the rest. Officers? A mixed bunch, some exelent with Indo China experience, and some St Syrians who couldn't read a map if their life depended on it, and got us consistantly lost in the mountains.

Otherwise; the legion is a tough place, and there are certainly many other armies that are better places to serve in. However, not as adventourous, if I should put one word to my own experience in its ranks.

Welcome back Jonny. Glad to see you back, it's been a long time.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

Jonny,
Interesting to see you back after so long in the wilderness. You are like me one of the older brethren and still kicking.lol

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
https://www.quora.com/What-should-I-know-before-I-join-the-French-Foreign-Legion/answers/38594828#

I had also seen a few things during my time but not to the degree depicted within the above post.

a little far fetched mate! I have seen legionnaires get the crap beaten out them. but for the most part they deserved it. ( the deserters. ) but an officer beating the crap out of a legionnaire in front of his family! I don't think so. he would immediately have been reprimanded by the chef de corps and booted out of the regiment if not the army! I agree with joseph this lad sounds like a wanker with a chip on his shoulder!

loustic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Home Country
Canada

Johnny, I am really glad to see you are back. Welcome again

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom

Hi
Would you say the Legion was more adventurous because of the unknown when you joined? today the likes of this forum seem to give a good idea of what to expect but of course in your day I guess there were just a few books for info?
From what I read the Legion does not do anything that different today than any other western army.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Hi
Would you say the Legion was more adventurous because of the unknown when you joined? today the likes of this forum seem to give a good idea of what to expect but of course in your day I guess there were just a few books for info?
From what I read the Legion does not do anything that different today than any other western army.

Hi,
Yes, you basically said it. In my case it was a total step into the unknown, and it turned out a great adventure from day one. Not too sure about today's legion, though, but on the other hand, what do I know?

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Jonny,
Interesting to see you back after so long in the wilderness. You are like me one of the older brethren and still kicking.lol

He`s not been in the wilderness , he`s been Arrsing :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Surfguy,

I am well aware of that fact and have known so for some time. To describe AARSE as a wilderness is extreme politeness on my part.

In my opinion as a forum it leaves a lot to be desired. Hence I have never contributed to it and seldom read it.

I remain on this forum and on my carefully vetted home forum of; Once a Marine always a Marine.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Surfguy,

I am well aware of that fact and have known so for some time. To describe AARSE as a wilderness is extreme politeness on my part.

In my opinion as a forum it leaves a lot to be desired. Hence I have never contributed to it and seldom read it.

I remain on this forum and on my carefully vetted home forum of; Once a Marine always a Marine.

I find Arrse quite funny but its certainly not the forum for sensitive types or those who take themselves too seriously.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi,
Yes, you basically said it. In my case it was a total step into the unknown, and it turned out a great adventure from day one. Not too sure about today's legion, though, but on the other hand, what do I know?

Jonny don't start your slagging of today's legion shit again. If you've got something innteresting and useful to say, say it. Otherwise shout up.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Surfguy,

Now I am a gentle, kind and soft individual unlike my rugged FFL associates. And of course I have never undertaken any arduous form of military training.

Hence I am distressed at the rude, abrasive and churlish posts which too often appear on AARSE. All to often they are misinformed and contributors (to use modern and inept parlance) like to 'flame' other participants.

Such activities hurt my sensitivity. Even worse they are nearly always inaccurate and penned by would be instant experts who in fact know virtually nothing.

Chas . 99% need not apply.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Surfguy, Chas, whats all this Arseing stuff. It worries me, an ex bootneck and a blue talking about that kind of stuff. Hmmm. Backs to the wall until further information men,

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway

Another superman that did not fit in the system. He was simply too good to make a change.
He simply forgot that it is he that should adapt to the Legion and that the Legion will never adapt to him.

The world is full of losers like this

Stoeng

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
Not too sure about today's legion, though, but on the other hand, what do I know?

Well! Nothing!
Let me know when you want to make a trip to visit the Legion (Camerone day) and I absolutely come a be your guide.
Despite (just like you) it will be a long trip