a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent article about Legion, from Australia

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi LexM. Not sure who wrote the article I only skipped through, but it is designed to choc. Massive amounts of alcohol consumed night and day on operations... :oops:
Plus the numerous deaths during training exercises...:oops:

As long as no-one who is going to join takes it seriously :)
I think the title gives an idea of the content.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
LexM,

I have always been interested in the FFL. Hence my appearance on this forum. I note you joined in 2008. What has happened to you in the interim ? Why no posts ?

I read the article with considerable interest. In my opinion it is not demonstrable of the Legion of today. The negatives out weigh the advantages of life change and a sense of brotherhood. Also their regulations are now similar to the French Army albeit they retain their customs and traditions. Hence brutality, if you can call it such, is minimal.

Some on this forum like myself (Commando) were serving in the mid to late 1950s' Then physical violence was meted out.

The article is journalistic sensationalism with a personal touch to give it credibility. Hence I for one regard it as nonsense.

LexM

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
LexM,

I have always been interested in the FFL. Hence my appearance on this forum. I note you joined in 2008. What has happened to you in the interim ? Why no posts ?

I read the article with considerable interest. In my opinion it is not demonstrable of the Legion of today. The negatives out weigh the advantages of life change and a sense of brotherhood. Also their regulations are now similar to the French Army albeit they retain their customs and traditions. Hence brutality, if you can call it such, is minimal.

Some on this forum like myself (Commando) were serving in the mid to late 1950s' Then physical violence was meted out.

The article is journalistic sensationalism with a personal touch to give it credibility. Hence I for one regard it as nonsense.
Chas,
I have been very reticent about posting here because I do not come from a military background.
I have really enjoyed my time here learning about a slice of life which is totally foreign to me.
LexM

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Chas,
I have been very reticent about posting here because I do not come from a military background.
I have really enjoyed my time here learning about a slice of life which is totally foreign to me.
LexM

LexM,
Don't worry about a non-military background. That is immaterial to many. Several on this forum do not have such a background. They are here out of interest. So relax, contribute and enjoy the forum.
Kind regards from 'The Old Fart'.;)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
maybe the discipline is a bit harder in the Legion than the French Army regulars but can´t be that bad. I am sure this video has been seen before but it don´t look any worse than what i saw in the British Army. In fact i saw worse looking cells..LOL.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
:unsure: Not sure what he's supposed to be showing us ? A place where the prisoners in 1st REG sleep? Et alors:oops: The 1st REG is not really known for its legion discipline in general but OK.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
:unsure: Not sure what he's supposed to be showing us ? A place where the prisoners in 1st REG sleep? Et alors:oops: The 1st REG is not really known for its legion discipline in general but OK.
Looks ok to me ...LOL. good place to sleep off a night out. only thing that bothers me is the toilets...but even they look fairly posh. nice tiles on the walls :ROFLMAO:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Am perplexed
How come the Legion (2 REP) permits journalistes to interview legionnaires and with photos of him and his buddies. .as well the inside of the camp. ..
Something fishy here

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Looks ok to me ...LOL. good place to sleep off a night out. only thing that bothers me is the toilets...but even they look fairly posh. nice tiles on the walls :ROFLMAO:

2 REI
One toillet for a cell that can contain up to 30 prisonniers. No Windows and the only fresh air comes thru the bottom of the thick wooden door. Queue up to dump ..smell is some thing else that not even flies or cock roaches dare to venture. We clean the Kazie with a ultra strong chemical deterrgent. The floors are bleached more than Madonna.Bed bunks are usally doubled but if needed tripled. Depends if the regiment is complete or not. Biggest infantery regiment in Europe, btw
3 showers. ..water trickles and is always cold
You do not have the time to shower evry day. ..eat or shower is a choice (no Rabio, extras) water we drink from the tap. No knives for feeding. Eating room can hold 15. (20 25 30 or the whole fkn regiment, depending on standards)
White line in the narrow court yard in front of the cells (commune and individual"s) When it's time, you must be lined up behind it. .
No roof in the central alley. Rain, wind and heat. Grin and bare. ..
Yeah, la taule. .tell me about it

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
2 REI
One toillet for a cell that can contain up to 30 prisonniers. No Windows and the only fresh air comes thru the bottom of the thick wooden door. Queue up to dump ..smell is some thing else that not even flies or cock roaches dare to venture. We clean the Kazie with a ultra strong chemical deterrgent. The floors are bleached more than Madonna.Bed bunks are usally doubled but if needed tripled. Depends if the regiment is complete or not. Biggest infantery regiment in Europe, btw
3 showers. ..water trickles and is always cold
You do not have the time to shower evry day. ..eat or shower is a choice (no Rabio, extras) water we drink from the tap. No knives for feeding. Eating room can hold 15. (20 25 30 or the whole fkn regiment, depending on standards)
White line in the narrow court yard in front of the cells (commune and individual"s) When it's time, you must be lined up behind it. .
No roof in the central alley. Rain, wind and heat. Grin and bare. ..
Yeah, la taule. .tell me about it
Tell the truth.. You loved it 😆