Rejection concerns

Hello, i'll try to be as brief as possible and not provide my entire life story but any questions feel free to ask.

- eyesight requirements are they per eyeball (ex can't be -10 in an eye) or added together (eye 1 = -5.75 eye 2= -4.75)
- Do you need to be the top in the physical tests? I can pass any of the tests (tried luc one time did the requirement), but the training stuff on here seems rather intense and I definitely wouldn't be the top. I do run 8 miles or so daily, but at my comfortable slow pace lol.
- How much emphasis is on desperation? I'm 100% sure there are ppl more desperate than me, but a lot of posts I see from people from my country (US) seem to have great jobs, houses, etc. While there are other more significant motivations of course for joining, if you are against the wall will that help?
- I'm assuming they would not be a fan of owing ppl money, having poor credit, etc.
- I know religion/beliefs don't matter, but is that really true?

I cannot join any branch in my country. I tried multiple times at different ages. I'm actually worried about this as I know to keep quiet form experience as they could never find out why, but at the same time I don't want to lie and be like I want to join the FFL over any US branch because of whatever reason. As i'm sure people on this forum understand it is a lingering desire that always exists.

My largest concern is being rejected. I have no idea I would do if I go to France and get rejected. Get deported for vagrancy lol?

I don't plan on leaving tomorrow btw, just curious.

Don't think about rejection...go in with your head Held High... Take it like a man :)
Appreciate the sentiment, but it is more of if I don't get in I come back to no job and a bunch of other issues. I can't just tell my employer i'm going to France for either a month or forever, not to mention i'm not salaried so that wouldn't work, plus rent, car payments, etc. Stuff that is whatever if I get accepted because who cares, but if I don't then I come back jobless that is a big problem.

sexpert

Top Poster Of Month
Appreciate the sentiment, but it is more of if I don't get in I come back to no job and a bunch of other issues. I can't just tell my employer i'm going to France for either a month or forever, not to mention i'm not salaried so that wouldn't work, plus rent, car payments, etc. Stuff that is whatever if I get accepted because who cares, but if I don't then I come back jobless that is a big problem.
What if you went sick...don't know how it works there but here you can if you got a good doctor get wrote off for a month... So along as you don't say what you're up to your good to go.

What if you went sick...don't know how it works there but here you can if you got a good doctor get wrote off for a month... So along as you don't say what you're up to your good to go.
I like the thinking, and with holidays coming up I can buy myself time right there, but I don't have one of those jobs where you get paid off time, or anything like that. Not sure how I can convince a doctor of medical fraud either. I'm probably overthinking and making excuses for myself, but if we are talking like a 15% of getting in it is concerning. Not going to lie but the last time I got rejected it was police. It was a long shot but I made it to the last phase in a several months in drawn out process, but sealed records aren't sealed and I did not take it well. Getting crushed again and then having to face financial problems is not a scenario I want to be in. We shall see how this week goes. Maybe i'll man up, probably I won't.

sexpert

Top Poster Of Month
I like the thinking, and with holidays coming up I can buy myself time right there, but I don't have one of those jobs where you get paid off time, or anything like that. Not sure how I can convince a doctor of medical fraud either. I'm probably overthinking and making excuses for myself, but if we are talking like a 15% of getting in it is concerning. Not going to lie but the last time I got rejected it was police. It was a long shot but I made it to the last phase in a several months in drawn out process, but sealed records aren't sealed and I did not take it well. Getting crushed again and then having to face financial problems is not a scenario I want to be in. We shall see how this week goes. Maybe i'll man up, probably I won't.
Well I might Sound a sneaky Bastard here & no offence to people who are ill ..i would say I have bad Depression, something they can't just scan or x Ray... You need time off. Look around for a good sympathetic doctor. Maybe a woman...LOL. Give an Oscar performance... If you don't get in the Legion pick up where you left off. I f you do get in send her a photo of you in your kepi...saying this is my therapy..:D

Well I might Sound a sneaky Bastard here & no offence to people who are ill ..i would say I have bad Depression, something they can't just scan or x Ray... You need time off. Look around for a good sympathetic doctor. Maybe a woman...LOL. Give an Oscar performance... If you don't get in the Legion pick up where you left off. I f you do get in send her a photo of you in your kepi...saying this is my therapy..:D
Lol. That is much better than saying I got hit by truck jogging.

Hello, i'll try to be as brief as possible and not provide my entire life story but any questions feel free to ask.

- eyesight requirements are they per eyeball (ex can't be -10 in an eye) or added together (eye 1 = -5.75 eye 2= -4.75)
- Do you need to be the top in the physical tests? I can pass any of the tests (tried luc one time did the requirement), but the training stuff on here seems rather intense and I definitely wouldn't be the top. I do run 8 miles or so daily, but at my comfortable slow pace lol.
- How much emphasis is on desperation? I'm 100% sure there are ppl more desperate than me, but a lot of posts I see from people from my country (US) seem to have great jobs, houses, etc. While there are other more significant motivations of course for joining, if you are against the wall will that help?
- I'm assuming they would not be a fan of owing ppl money, having poor credit, etc.

I cannot join any branch in my country. I tried multiple times at different ages. I'm actually worried about this as I know to keep quiet form experience as they could never find out why, but at the same time I don't want to lie and be like I want to join the FFL over any US branch because of whatever reason. As i'm sure people on this forum understand it is a lingering desire that always exists.

My largest concern is being rejected. I have no idea I would do if I go to France and get rejected. Get deported for vagrancy lol?

You remind me of myself when I decided to start asking questions, about 2 years ago. I was dead set on being a soldier again, but honestly, I was really terrified of going overseas, spending all that money, only to be rejected and have to come home to no job or anything

Here is my advice to you

- The Legion picks who they want to pick. Unless someone who is part of the 4 RE gets on the forum and tell us, week to week, EXACTLY what they're looking for, then we can't REALLY ever know, but from watching people go off and join/get rejected, I believe that DESIRE is more important than DESPERATION. Do you want to be a soldier? Yes? That's good. Why can't you join Americas military? You a felon? You got a disability? You been kicked out already for bad conduct? Have an answer ready. Better not be a disability. Reason better be good as to why the Legion instead of the US Army/USMC. I'm sure if you think about it you can come up with a good reason, or a good enough lie. Lots of people get in by lying, ask a Legionnaire. I am not encouraging you to lie, but to display the proper DESIRE to be a Legionnaire, and a REASON why you can't join at home, whatever that may be

- Traveling overseas can be....eh, nerve wracking, yeah? Well, there's plenty of information on here for how to get exactly where you need to go. Being efficient with your travel will matter. READ THIS: Fort de Nogent in Paris, takes longer to process you. Fly to Marseille, take a train to Aubagne, take a taxi or a (free) bus to the selection center, and knock on the gate. You can look around Cervens and find out all the ways to get here, down to the train lines and everything. According to what we've heard, after you knock on the gate in Aubagne, it would take about a month or so to find out if you made it, AND, they pay you while you are there (they do NOT pay you while you're at Fort de Nogent in Paris). So, you will have money to sustain yourself if they reject you.

- When you buy your plane ticket, get a round trip for 5 weeks out. If you get rejected early, GO TO THE AMERICAN EMBASSY, they will help you. You won't be deported, the state department will pay for your plane ticket, and you can pay the federal government back (my mother works for state department, this comes straight from her, you can trust this information). The Embassy is in Paris, it is a couple hours train ride from Aubagne to Paris.
If you get rejected after a month or so, though, near the very end, then you take a train back to whichever airport you're leaving from, and make sure you have enough money for a week's worth of hotels, plus other expenses (food). It's about $60 for a night in a hotel. So bring an extra $600 with you, at least, that way you can sustain yourself while you wait for your return flight

- Make sure your teeth are clean and no cavities

- Question: What's wrong with your eyes?

Oh and hey, idk which state you're in, but a flight out of Canada is cheaper than a flight out of America. Might behoove you to take a grey hound bus across the border and fly from there. I'm probably going from Toronto, because i'm like 3 hours away from it.

Save yourself about $4000, get the round trip ticket, and then put in your 2 weeks notice at your job, make sure everything is good with them and that you're welcome back. Then go

You remind me of myself when I decided to start asking questions, about 2 years ago. I was dead set on being a soldier again, but honestly, I was really terrified of going overseas, spending all that money, only to be rejected and have to come home to no job or anything

Here is my advice to you

- The Legion picks who they want to pick. Unless someone who is part of the 4 RE gets on the forum and tell us, week to week, EXACTLY what they're looking for, then we can't REALLY ever know, but from watching people go off and join/get rejected, I believe that DESIRE is more important than DESPERATION. Do you want to be a soldier? Yes? That's good. Why can't you join Americas military? You a felon? You got a disability? You been kicked out already for bad conduct? Have an answer ready. Better not be a disability. Reason better be good as to why the Legion instead of the US Army/USMC. I'm sure if you think about it you can come up with a good reason, or a good enough lie. Lots of people get in by lying, ask a Legionnaire. I am not encouraging you to lie, but to display the proper DESIRE to be a Legionnaire, and a REASON why you can't join at home, whatever that may be

- Traveling overseas can be....eh, nerve wracking, yeah? Well, there's plenty of information on here for how to get exactly where you need to go. Being efficient with your travel will matter. READ THIS: Fort de Nogent in Paris, takes longer to process you. Fly to Marseille, take a train to Aubagne, take a taxi or a (free) bus to the selection center, and knock on the gate. You can look around Cervens and find out all the ways to get here, down to the train lines and everything. According to what we've heard, after you knock on the gate in Aubagne, it would take about a month or so to find out if you made it, AND, they pay you while you are there (they do NOT pay you while you're at Fort de Nogent in Paris). So, you will have money to sustain yourself if they reject you.

- When you buy your plane ticket, get a round trip for 5 weeks out. If you get rejected early, GO TO THE AMERICAN EMBASSY, they will help you. You won't be deported, the state department will pay for your plane ticket, and you can pay the federal government back (my mother works for state department, this comes straight from her, you can trust this information). The Embassy is in Paris, it is a couple hours train ride from Aubagne to Paris.
If you get rejected after a month or so, though, near the very end, then you take a train back to whichever airport you're leaving from, and make sure you have enough money for a week's worth of hotels, plus other expenses (food). It's about $60 for a night in a hotel. So bring an extra $600 with you, at least, that way you can sustain yourself while you wait for your return flight

- Make sure your teeth are clean and no cavities

- Question: What's wrong with your eyes?

Oh and hey, idk which state you're in, but a flight out of Canada is cheaper than a flight out of America. Might behoove you to take a grey hound bus across the border and fly from there. I'm probably going from Toronto, because i'm like 3 hours away from it.

Save yourself about $4000, get the round trip ticket, and then put in your 2 weeks notice at your job, make sure everything is good with them and that you're welcome back. Then go

Nothing is wrong with my eyes, but if the combined prescription for both eyes is -10 i'm done before I get started (barring if i'm able to cheat and memorize the eyechart or something.) The flight could be more reasonable, but the time of the year has jacked up rates. Good to know the embassy would actually help you if needed.

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Forgive me, but it sounds like you are giving yourself a justification for not going. This site is incredible but the one thing they won't supply is the motivation to go there. You need to bring that.

Forgive me, but it sounds like you are giving yourself a justification for not going. This site is incredible but the one thing they won't supply is the motivation to go there. You need to bring that.
No need to apologize for the truth, i'm aware of that as well sadly. I have two full of days of boring ce for one of my licenses for work starting in a bit so I'll be staring at the wall trying to convince myself to man up while being reminding how unfulfilling my current career is.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
The Embassy is in Paris, it is a couple hours train ride from Aubagne to Paris.
"Hello, i'll try to be as brief as possible and not provide my entire life story but any questions feel free to ask."
You're right that was brief. Why don't you take a bit of time and tell us about yourself?
Katalmach, there is no need to go to Paris, there is a consulate general in Marseille opposite the prefecture. I know I worked there as chief security guard for six years. They can do you an emergency passport within 4 hours. And as you said they can buy you your plane ticket which you will have to pay back. It is a lock and leave post, which means that weekends and holidays it is closed, however there is always someone on the duty roster. If you are desolate, they have an agreement with a hotel which will put you up until the next working day. This will have to be paid back also, once you are stateside.

As for taking a taxi or the free bus to the camp, it's only a twenty minute walk from the train station. Taking a taxi, isn't a good idea, because if you get ripped off then what?

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Former Moderator
Nothing is wrong with my eyes, but if the combined prescription for both eyes is -10 i'm done before I get started (barring if i'm able to cheat and memorize the eyechart or something.) The flight could be more reasonable, but the time of the year has jacked up rates. Good to know the embassy would actually help you if needed.
Look at the eye chart in the stickies.

Goornot,

Welcome to the forum. Now first take Voltigeurs advice.

Now mine ; Think Positive. Then give it your best shot with guts and determination. Otherwise you are wasting your own time and that of others.

It is all in the mind as I know only too well.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire

STAY HOME.

"Hello, i'll try to be as brief as possible and not provide my entire life story but any questions feel free to ask."
You're right that was brief. Why don't you take a bit of time and tell us about yourself?
Katalmach, there is no need to go to Paris, there is a consulate general in Marseille opposite the prefecture. I know I worked there as chief security guard for six years. They can do you an emergency passport within 4 hours. And as you said they can buy you your plane ticket which you will have to pay back. It is a lock and leave post, which means that weekends and holidays it is closed, however there is always someone on the duty roster. If you are desolate, they have an agreement with a hotel which will put you up until the next working day. This will have to be paid back also, once you are stateside.

As for taking a taxi or the free bus to the camp, it's only a twenty minute walk from the train station. Taking a taxi, isn't a good idea, because if you get ripped off then what?
Since you asked :)

Basically my plan was always to enlist in the US. I was not allowed to go out of highschool because I got arrested and when it was finally time for accepted plea, the prick da, judge felt it was necessary to nail me to the wall and slapped me with a felony charge on my record (lesson don't be honest to cops and take the blame for everyone lol.) Got called for police test halfway through college, only made past the first testing as they do not approve of sealed records. Towards the end of college tried to get accepted into the army&marines they told me no. Went to lawschool for a bit since I didn't know what else to do, and I figured maybe I could use that to get into the legal division. Hated it. I was in a different state than the last place I tried so I tried marines, army, and navy to get in as an officer (I have the degree and massive student loans so might as well), and they wouldn't deal with me. Started working in sales job of your choice (insurance, mortgages, etc.) and figured wtf I'll just go enlisted, It has been 9 years since I got arrested and I have a perfectly clean record, a job, wtf do I need to show i'm not a psycho.....no dice. Then I got a call from a different police department, different state, decided to lie and not say crap, made it all the way through a bunch of hoops until about 20 mins into a personal interview they bust out my "sealed" record information, that I had applied for a different force and was rejected, and yep that is that. I thought about lying to the military as I question their initial background checking abilities, but in the event they do check somewhere down the line I'd rather not get sent to jail for lying to serve in the army, like what could have happened on the police app.

What I got in trouble for, which is a big laugh is a weapons charge for basically playing with fire, while causing no harm to others. With the recent riots in France I can assure you I sure as hell wasn't doing anything like that. Like a dumb kid would I believed that being honest to cops and taking the blame for others involved (to be fair I was the ring leader) would let me go with a warning as the detective even said so. Being let go meant onto a holding cell the next morning. I contemplated not telling the legion (if I decide to ever go) about the incident as they wouldn't find out, but I can't see what other reason I would give for not joining my own countries military as I don't live in a 3rd world country I need to escape. The real kicker is if I kept my mouth shut I'd not have a weapons a charge and it would not have impacted my life substantially.

Most viewed threads of the week