a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rejection concerns

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Since you asked :)

Basically my plan was always to enlist in the US. I was not allowed to go out of highschool because I got arrested and when it was finally time for accepted plea, the prick da, judge felt it was necessary to nail me to the wall and slapped me with a felony charge on my record (lesson don't be honest to cops and take the blame for everyone lol.) Got called for police test halfway through college, only made past the first testing as they do not approve of sealed records. Towards the end of college tried to get accepted into the army&marines they told me no. Went to lawschool for a bit since I didn't know what else to do, and I figured maybe I could use that to get into the legal division. Hated it. I was in a different state than the last place I tried so I tried marines, army, and navy to get in as an officer (I have the degree and massive student loans so might as well), and they wouldn't deal with me. Started working in sales job of your choice (insurance, mortgages, etc.) and figured wtf I'll just go enlisted, It has been 9 years since I got arrested and I have a perfectly clean record, a job, wtf do I need to show i'm not a psycho.....no dice. Then I got a call from a different police department, different state, decided to lie and not say crap, made it all the way through a bunch of hoops until about 20 mins into a personal interview they bust out my "sealed" record information, that I had applied for a different force and was rejected, and yep that is that. I thought about lying to the military as I question their initial background checking abilities, but in the event they do check somewhere down the line I'd rather not get sent to jail for lying to serve in the army, like what could have happened on the police app.

What I got in trouble for, which is a big laugh is a weapons charge for basically playing with fire, while causing no harm to others. With the recent riots in France I can assure you I sure as hell wasn't doing anything like that. Like a dumb kid would I believed that being honest to cops and taking the blame for others involved (to be fair I was the ring leader) would let me go with a warning as the detective even said so. Being let go meant onto a holding cell the next morning. I contemplated not telling the legion (if I decide to ever go) about the incident as they wouldn't find out, but I can't see what other reason I would give for not joining my own countries military as I don't live in a 3rd world country I need to escape. The real kicker is if I kept my mouth shut I'd not have a weapons a charge and it would not have impacted my life substantially.
U.S. f*cks my life because of one dui. I cant reenlist even though I have an honorable discharge. DUI stops you from doing anything worth while here. I agree with you on one mistake in the youth destroys your life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
U.S. fucks my life because of one dui. I cant reenlist even though I have an honorable discharge. DUI stops you from doing anything worth while here. I agree with you on one mistake in the youth destroys your life.

Sorry man. That is even more insane. Even though you already showed you were capable unrelated nonsense screws you.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Since you asked :)

Basically my plan was always to enlist in the US. I was not allowed to go out of highschool because I got arrested and when it was finally time for accepted plea, the prick da, judge felt it was necessary to nail me to the wall and slapped me with a felony charge on my record (lesson don't be honest to cops and take the blame for everyone lol.) Got called for police test halfway through college, only made past the first testing as they do not approve of sealed records. Towards the end of college tried to get accepted into the army&marines they told me no. Went to lawschool for a bit since I didn't know what else to do, and I figured maybe I could use that to get into the legal division. Hated it. I was in a different state than the last place I tried so I tried marines, army, and navy to get in as an officer (I have the degree and massive student loans so might as well), and they wouldn't deal with me. Started working in sales job of your choice (insurance, mortgages, etc.) and figured wtf I'll just go enlisted, It has been 9 years since I got arrested and I have a perfectly clean record, a job, wtf do I need to show i'm not a psycho.....no dice. Then I got a call from a different police department, different state, decided to lie and not say crap, made it all the way through a bunch of hoops until about 20 mins into a personal interview they bust out my "sealed" record information, that I had applied for a different force and was rejected, and yep that is that. I thought about lying to the military as I question their initial background checking abilities, but in the event they do check somewhere down the line I'd rather not get sent to jail for lying to serve in the army, like what could have happened on the police app.

What I got in trouble for, which is a big laugh is a weapons charge for basically playing with fire, while causing no harm to others. With the recent riots in France I can assure you I sure as hell wasn't doing anything like that. Like a dumb kid would I believed that being honest to cops and taking the blame for others involved (to be fair I was the ring leader) would let me go with a warning as the detective even said so. Being let go meant onto a holding cell the next morning. I contemplated not telling the legion (if I decide to ever go) about the incident as they wouldn't find out, but I can't see what other reason I would give for not joining my own countries military as I don't live in a 3rd world country I need to escape. The real kicker is if I kept my mouth shut I'd not have a weapons a charge and it would not have impacted my life substantially.

Oh man, that is really shitty. Hope the COs treated you right during your time.

Look man, regarding confidence. Don't listen to anyone who says you ain't cut out for it, but, you gotta get over your fear. All it takes is knowing the information. Read everything carefully, because as Joe Cosgrove corrected me, I did get some information wrong and don't want to steer you in the wrong direction

Once you have the knowledge you need, all it takes is the real desire to throw caution to the wind. Took me 2 years to actually decide this was something I wanted to do. You'll get there

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Oh man, that is really shitty. Hope the COs treated you right during your time.

Look man, regarding confidence. Don't listen to anyone who says you ain't cut out for it, but, you gotta get over your fear. All it takes is knowing the information. Read everything carefully, because as Joe Cosgrove corrected me, I did get some information wrong and don't want to steer you in the wrong direction

Once you have the knowledge you need, all it takes is the real desire to throw caution to the wind. Took me 2 years to actually decide this was something I wanted to do. You'll get there

Thanks.
In all honesty I should suck it up and save enough to make advanced payments on rent, car, have an auto pay on my cc, etc for 2-3 months, commit to starting to practice french or something to up my chances, and head out. It is just one of those things that bothers me frequently. Maybe i'll set a strict deadline or something.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Thanks.
In all honesty I should suck it up and save enough to make advanced payments on rent, car, have an auto pay on my cc, etc for 2-3 months, commit to starting to practice french or something to up my chances, and head out. It is just one of those things that bothers me frequently. Maybe i'll set a strict deadline or something.

The best and simplest thing for you to do when you leave, is to leave expecting to succeed. Have a contingency plan, make sure you're rehirable at your job and have enough money to support yourself if things don't work out, but I wouldn't bother trying to keep paying for your car while you are in France. What happens if you are selected? You now have a car that is uncared for, and you're still paying money for. Leave with nothing weighing you down

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
The best and simplest thing for you to do when you leave, is to leave expecting to succeed. Have a contingency plan, make sure you're rehirable at your job and have enough money to support yourself if things don't work out, but I wouldn't bother trying to keep paying for your car while you are in France. What happens if you are selected? You now have a car that is uncared for, and you're still paying money for. Leave with nothing weighing you down

Well they would just repo the car eventually. Making an extra payment while i'm there to prevent going into default wouldn't bother me as an insurance policy. It is not like the ffl is the get rich career path lol. Ideally I'd like to believe if you are selected you can call home and sort of straighten out these events but at that point I wouldn't really care as it isn't like the payments go to some small family business.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Can't you sell it before you go> Even if it only pays what you owe on it.

Katalmach

Donator
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Can't you sell it before you go> Even if it only pays what you owe on it.

The higher the price, the harder it is to find the buyer. My own car got repo'd recently, I couldn't find a buyer. Still had 10k or more to go on it
Well they would just repo the car eventually. Making an extra payment while i'm there to prevent going into default wouldn't bother me as an insurance policy. It is not like the ffl is the get rich career path lol. Ideally I'd like to believe if you are selected you can call home and sort of straighten out these events but at that point I wouldn't really care as it isn't like the payments go to some small family business.

Fair, but beware of your credit being ruined. If you decide to come back to the United States later

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The higher the price, the harder it is to find the buyer. My own car got repo'd recently, I couldn't find a buyer. Still had 10k or more to go on it

Fair, but beware of your credit being ruined. If you decide to come back to the United States later

To come back to the United States you would have to leave in the first place, can’t swallow all this car carry on if your going then why worry sounds like your hanging on to an anchor (car) well you will have your own reasons why!

Reaction score
Home Country
Vatican City State
Couldn't you pay it off in some way, then store it like many people do?

Hire a garage, or some professional, or a storage container, put the car in, cancel insurance and taxes, lock it up until you return.

DCLXVI

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Sorry tweddle dee and tweddle dumb. I have made more mistakes then both of you combined, and I am just fine here in the legion.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Owe more on the car than worth, but that was just an aspect. I'm more concerned about rent, and above all credit because there isn't a legitimate job that doesn't check your credit, and it ruins my licenses.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
I cannot figure out how to edit the initial post, but I basically realize the decision I have to make.

I am adding a luc leger to either the end of my run or pre work out (drew lines in the street lol), getting quality eyeglasses (I have a pair with an outdated script because I only wear contacts), trying french rosetta stone (or something else if it sucks and I can torrent it) to work on, and attempting to wait until i'm slightly more stable so I won't have to be as concerned. Tickets are also a few hundred a way vs thousand If I wait until mid January. I may still leave abruptly due to unforeseen circumstances as I was debating leaving when I first made this account (not when I posted), but it is unlikely. Definitely a cop out if you will but being more prepared couldn't hurt.

Thank you for your help and replies. Mods can feel free to lock as solved, or whatever the protocol is over here. If I make substantial progress or book an official date (not my target I made for myself which means nothing unless it is acted upon) I will gladly update this.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Goornot, can I now take it that you've said what it is you wanted to say?
To be quite honest, I'm not sure what you mean. It's not really a big deal as I, for one couldn't see anything wrong.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Goornot, can I now take it that you've said what it is you wanted to say?
To be quite honest, I'm not sure what you mean. It's not really a big deal as I, for one couldn't see anything wrong.

It is no big deal at all. I just didn't want to clog up the forum or have people waste their time trying to help me as I basically made up my mind for the time being to wait.