Resumption

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
IMG_0013.JPGIMG_0480.JPG

Clockwise from our Chocolate Lab “Brady” (who is still around) to “Harvey” (who had to be put down... Tosa-Inu issue) to “Chloe”, our St. Bernard who passed away and was a great “mama” to Brady. We now have an 8 month black Newfie puppy that is a trouble making little pony and a 7 yr. old Corgy/Aussie mix that we “inherited” from our son and daughter-in-law that keep Brady company.

The next two pictures: when I was stationed at Île Saint-Joseph for a couple of weeks sending a single daily morse report which consisted of RAS (Rien à signaler, nothing to report). That was the shape I was in prior to the “mission profonde” (deep patrol mission) in my last post. The bottom picture, taken during the mission profonde, shows a decapitated “visitor”... One in many. My reason for posting the bottom photo is to do with the fellow whose face is shown (he's probably dead or should be close to it now) who wrangled a spot on this trek but had to be evacuated mid-way through.
During one of the sporadic jungle combat training missions we had this piece of dung had taken a Sgt's place (he was an adjudant) and was in charge of our merry little group where I was a “little chief”. In one place which had “sign” everywhere, we were ambushed and were face-on to a machine gun emplacement, which he decided to charge directly with our little band. Just imagine if this was the real deal and you had to follow a fool like this. Knowing what should be done and what was actually taking place as we were doing it should make anyone sick to their stomach knowing that you only had a few minutes to live (if this were the real thing) and knowing you couldn't do anything about it... With the exception of a sidearm BTB to his head and taking over. Well, sidearm BTB's didn't exist and no matter what I could have done it would not have gone well. In any case, we were wiped out. The capper to this was that I passing a few sous-officiers with this clown among them and I overheard him joking about what happened. Now, I've been shot at before (not in the Legion), I was in situations in the Legion where shooting could have occurred but didn't (we were discreet) and I cross-trained with a SEAL unit in Puerto Rico with live fire ambushes, retreats and a few other scenarios of the trade so I wasn't inept and had a strong survival instinct. What had taken place during that training session and the subsequent comments that I overheard still piss me off but I kept my mouth shut in both instances. I had been in jail at least a dozen times on paper (once in person) so I just... let it go.
For anyone who has not yet dealt with such a situation and is in active service, hopefully fools like this goof will not be given the chance to lead anyone anywhere but if you are in the company of one (or more) like this... proceed with extreme caution.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Yugoslavia
(...) During one of the sporadic jungle combat training missions we had this piece of dung had taken a Sgt's place (he was an Adjudant) and was in charge of our merry little group where I was a “little chief”. In one place which had “sign” everywhere, we were ambushed and were face-on to a machine gun emplacement, which he decided to charge directly with our little band. Just imagine if this was the real deal and you had to follow a fool like this. (...)
Can you give a little bit more details on this? Did the adjudant know that the ambush was a drill?

OP
jwaltos

jwaltos

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Here is a picture of the objective of that mission profonde which was the borne (milestone). I was a little lighter on my feet by this time. The last 8 km or so was through a wall of vegetation before reaching this point. This is another of the few pictures that survived as all the rest were destroyed through humidity and time.

Yes Dusan, everyone knew it was a drill. My perspective during any such training drill, forced march, middle of the night alert, was to perform to the best of my ability. Like sparring, you are not there to do damage but rather to learn while you pull your punches trying new combinations and/or making your strengths even stronger. You have a responsibility to your men and your superiors to be competent at a minimum during such sessions to demonstrate your ability... Which builds trust.

Chas, always good to hear from you!

Attachments

Rapace

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
France
(...) The next two pictures: when I was stationed at Île Saint-Joseph for a couple of weeks sending a single daily morse report which consisted of RAS (Rien à signaler, nothing to report). (...)
Saint-Joseph is one of the three islands that form the group called “Salvation Islands” (les îles du Salut in French), off the town of Cayenne, in French Guiana. They were used as a penal colony for almost 150 years. The most famous is Devil's island (l'île du Diable) where Captain Alfred Dreyfus was imprisoned for 4 years.

Here is a picture of the objective of that mission profonde which was the borne (milestone). (...)
Those milestones mark the border of French Guiana with Brazil. A total of seven were installed in the late 50s/early 60s. I remember seeing a documentary about 3e REI, where legionnaires on mission profonde had arrived to their objective but spent quite some time finding it, as it was hidden in the middle of the vegetation. If I'm not mistaken, once found, the mission is also to clear the vegetation around the borne, that will then regrow and be cleared again by the next patrol.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Saint-Joseph is one of the three islands that form the group called “Salvation Islands” (les îles du Salut in French), off the town of Cayenne (...)
I'd say that it’s more off Kourou, where the Legion is based would be closer than Cayenne (which loans its name to the peppar). However, I believe that they are part of the Cayenne commune.

Pink Floyd

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Australia
My only small regret during my time in the Legion is that the REP stopped all company tours to French Guyana. The 2nd company did arrive back in Calvi mid 1989 after a 4 month tour of South America. Unfortunately, it was the last until I left Calvi May ‘94.

mark wake

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
My only small regret during my time in the Legion is that the REP stopped all company tours to French Guyana. The 2nd company did arrive back in Calvi mid 1989 after a 4 month tour of South America. Unfortunately, it was the last until I left Calvi May ‘94.
I think the REP was too busy keeping the rest of Africa under control let alone South America 😉.

Most viewed threads of the week