a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Room for one more Fijian in the Légion?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
Bonjour,

Sorry, I wasn't sure how this goes; whether I wait to get mentioned or just introduce myself.

I am a 26 year old Fijian. Well I was just preparing to book a trip to the Recruitment Office in Papeete (Tahiti - French Polynesia) early this week when news came on Tuesday that they were shutting down their borders to foreign travellers.

To be honest, I wasn't gutted at all about that. I believe; where there's a will, there's a way, right? I'll keep the grind on no matter how the outlook seems to be. So far I've been training, watching my vitals (weight, diet, fitness - stayin' sharp), learning French, doing a lotta research on FFL culture & traditions [which is how I found this forum].

I gotta say; this place has really been informative, not sure how I didn't come across this forum before. Feeling a whole lotta confidence after going through some discussion threads, thanks to the administrating personnels and fellow members. Ain't nothing gonn deter me in my course to get where I gotta be, and I am determined to make it. Whatever it takes, God knows; this path is mine, and I'ma be in it for the long haul.

By the way, great job to the men holding down this online fort, going out of their own way (in between busy schedules) to bring us direction, advice, insight and much needed information about the FFL.

Merci!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Brother Bro,

Welcome to the forum and enjoy it. You belong to a fine martial race.

Pay attention to those in Green since they have served or are currently serving.

Also look up old posts when seeking information.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
Welcome Brother Bro and welcome to the forum.
Merci Joseph; the fact that I just noticed you're a Kiwi is very encouraging indeed. What a journey! *inspired*

Welcome to the forum and enjoy it. You belong to a fine martial race.

Pay attention to those in Green since they have served or are currently serving.
Hey Chas! thanks for the advice and compliment, I really appreciate it! God bless.

Salut.

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Best answers
Home Country
San Marino
I was under the impression that the office in Papeete was only for Tahitians as it was opened expressly to increase the number of Francophones and especially Tahitians due to their reputation as good legionnaires and 'warrior culture'.
From what I heard everyone else needs to still go to mainland France. Make sure to double-check before booking a ticket to Tahiti. They provide some special services and transport for those guys they may not extend to anyone else.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
I was under the impression that the office in Papeete was only for Tahitians
Merci @Nickfury, will look into that right away.

Make sure to double-check before booking a ticket to Tahiti.
Hey @Joseph Cosgrove, I have the Papeete Recruitment Office contact details with me and I'm thinking to write a letter of clarification on what Nick mentioned above. Please help me, thing is, I'm just not sure who to address it to (?); maybe a rank or a title is all I'm looking for.

⚡

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I would put on the address: Monsieur le commandant du bureau de recruitment de la Légion Etrangère.

...Les candidats intéressés devaient ensuite se payer un billet d’avion pour passer les épreuves de sélections dans l’Hexagone. Désormais, cette présélection se fera localement. Les Polynésiens pourront subir les tests, qui, s’ils sont réussis, déboucheront sur un premier contrat signé au fenua. L’armée prendra alors en charge le billet d’avion vers l’Hexagone.

...Interested candidates then had to buy a plane ticket to sit the selection tests in France. From now on, this preselection will be done locally. Polynesians will be able to undergo the tests, which, if successful, will result in a first signed contract Fenua. The army will then take charge of the plane ticket to France.

for the opening, just write Monsieur,
If you want, you can first post the letter on here, I will then correct it before you send it.
No, abbreviations and it should be typed.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
L'emprise militaire du Taaone West
Pirae commune
(Valid french passport @ least 8 months and have no family in Papeete)
Do you speak any french?

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Fiji
If you want, you can first post the letter on here, I will then correct it before you send it.
Wow, thank you Joseph. I'll draft one now and post it here* when I'm done for proofing.

L'emprise militaire du Taaone West
Pirae commune
(Valid french passport @ least 8 months and have no family in Papeete)
Do you speak any french?
Merci L.P.C., yes I do not have family in Papeete and my passport was just renewed two weeks ago, but it's not a French passport (Fiji issued passport valid till 2031). And no, my French is at preschool level (I don't speak fluently...yet).

From now on, this preselection will be done locally. Polynesians will be able to undergo the tests, which, if successful, will result in a first signed contract Fenua.
Hey Joseph, technically I'm not a Polynesian. I am Nesian though; a Melanin <Melanesian>. Anyway, let's just see how this goes. *[Should I just inbox you the draft instead or do you want the thread to be available publicly for future references?]

⚡

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Wow, thank you Joseph. I'll draft one now and post it here* when I'm done for proofing.

Merci L.P.C., yes I do not have family in Papeete and my passport was just renewed two weeks ago, but it's not a French passport (Fiji issued passport valid till 2031). And no, my French is at preschool level (I don't speak fluently...yet).

Hey Joseph, technically I'm not a Polynesian. I am Nesian though; a Melanin <Melanesian>. Anyway, let's just see how this goes. *[Should I just inbox you the draft instead or do you want the thread to be available publicly for future references?]

⚡
If you're OK with it, publicly, perhaps sent it to me by PM first, so that I can make sure that there is nothing that will give you away.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Bonjour,

Sorry, I wasn't sure how this goes; whether I wait to get mentioned or just introduce myself.

I am a 26 year old Fijian. Well I was just preparing to book a trip to the Recruitment Office in Papeete (Tahiti - French Polynesia) early this week when news came on Tuesday that they were shutting down their borders to foreign travellers.

To be honest, I wasn't gutted at all about that. I believe; where there's a will, there's a way, right? I'll keep the grind on no matter how the outlook seems to be. So far I've been training, watching my vitals (weight, diet, fitness - stayin' sharp), learning French, doing a lotta research on FFL culture & traditions [which is how I found this forum].

I gotta say; this place has really been informative, not sure how I didn't come across this forum before. Feeling a whole lotta confidence after going through some discussion threads, thanks to the administrating personnels and fellow members. Ain't nothing gonn deter me in my course to get where I gotta be, and I am determined to make it. Whatever it takes, God knows; this path is mine, and I'ma be in it for the long haul.

By the way, great job to the men holding down this online fort, going out of their own way (in between busy schedules) to bring us direction, advice, insight and much needed information about the FFL.

Merci!
@Big Boy old us he is Fijian and lives in Europe , I`m sure he can advise you on what's significantly different in Europe to life in Fiji .

Good luck anyway.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
We need a "letter type"
I've just spent my afternoon preparing my French lesson, which hopefully I'll bring out on Sunday morning, Eh oui ca prend du temps. marcel.pngThe letter B.Bro sent me is in English, I resent sent it with you on copy.
It means that I will spend a good hour tomorrow on translating it. I'll then get Erika to check it over. If Brother Bro is agreed I'll post it on here.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Your Name
&
Adresse
Monsieur le Commandant du Bureau de Recruitment de la Légion Etrangère. (should be on the right of the page)

(Your city),
Le + (date)
Le 20 Février 2021
(should be on the right of the page)

Objet: Demande de clarification des critères pour les étrangers non Polynésiens qui souhaitent se présenter au bureau de présélection de la Légion Etrangère à Papeete.

Bonjour Monsieur,

Je m’appelle Brother Bro, je suis un Fidjien indigène de 26 ans.

Je souhaite obtenir des informations concernant les critères de présélections des candidats souhaitant s’enrôler au bureau de présélection de la Légion étrangère basée à Papeete, Tahiti.

Je projette de venir à Tahiti en provenance de Fidji (via la Nouvelle-Calédonie), mais vu les conditions de voyage et les restrictions frontalières ; cela me laisse plus de temps de me préparer au niveau physique et langue française.

J’ai récemment entendu dire que le Papeete Recruitment Center n’engage que des Tahitiens Français locaux francophones. Cela est-t-il vrai ? Ou, même, n’étant pas polynésien je peux être recruté ?

Dans l’attente de votre réponse,

Recevez, Monsieur, l’expression de mes salutations les plus dévouées.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

To send your letter, by email or post, but make sure that you get a receipt of reception. If it's by email (outlook) make sure that you tick the two boxes marked, 'received' and 'read.'
If it's by normal post, make sure that you send it by registered mail.
Your font should be Times New Roman 12 pts and try and keep the adresses in a block.
Your name and adresse on the top left, below that on the right Monsieur le... Below that on the right of the page your town and below that on the right the date.

Last edited:

Most viewed threads of the week