a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rucksack and back carrying

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Dude read the whole comments, I drink beer regularly, I just don't smoke. I once finished a "zebeba" alone, that's a very cheap Egyptian alcohol that makes an absolute looks like water compared to it. A guy who I haven't seen since 5 years (last time he saw me I was very religious) came back from Russia with a Martini bottle and he couldn't believe that I finished over half of it and the guy couldn't believe that it was me drinking with him. People change. Don't worry about that. I thought I established a basis here that I am just Muslim by name and that I am not a Muslim anymore since 2015. What sort of a muslim eats pork, drinks alcohol and sleep with women bro. As a matter of fact, if people here figured out what I really do I'll be the new jesus on a cross :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
It's not about shaytan. All Egyptian soldiers here in Egypt finish at least 3 packs of very bad cheap cigarettes everyday in addition to hash. They set up road blocks and search your car if you have any hash they take it so that they can smoke it. They are the heaviest smokers you can ever meet. To me it is simple. You are going to be a soldier, sometimes you are going to run for your life might as well get yourself a healthy set of lungs to be able to live another day :) When you retire, You can smoke all you want.
When you join no one is going to encourage you to smoke cigarettes or hash or drink alcohol. I've never smoke a cig or a joint in my life, never. I like my beer ( a little to much here) but no-one ever forced me to drink in the legion. And no-one thought any the better of me because I did have a few beers. And no-one thought any the worse of me because I don't smoke.

Etoiles_mortant

Pro Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Greece
So are you suggesting that all those times we used to run from the camp down to Calvi and back on the beach was wrong

Obviously not, you can't argue with army logic!
On a more serious note, I too spent my youth running barefooted in beaches throughout Greece. Never had a problem. Its different when you are playing / you are marching at 9km/h in military boots and when you try yo improve your Luc Leger by running at 13km/h with trainers.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
I studied English literature that's the first thing. I got to study history and the history of all religions. I figured out that what we call myths in Islam is sacred in another culture and vice versa what they call myth is sacred in our culture so I eventually came up with the fact that all of this is man made 2nd thing is that my college is all made up of girls and you know as a muslim you are not allowed to have female friends just wives. When I started to befriend them they were so nice to me, they supported me through every rough time I went through and they have been there for me just like all my other guy friends. So, I started to question the morality of religion concerning genders you know. Why is it wrong to touch a female? I tried it and it actually didn't feel wrong at all be it a friend or a lover. 3rd thing all the things that are considered "haram" as i said before girls, then you have the food and the halal meat and the pork, alcohol, the swim suits, music, rock music, movies. I just came to the fact that this religion is so outdated I mean it would fit some people living in the middle ages but not the 21st century. 4th thing of course was the time during which the muslim brotherhood ruled the country, they are the main reason why all the youths in Egypt turned to atheism + of course ISIS and Al Qaeda and I am not talking about whether they represent the majority of muslims or not I am talking about the fact that literally like 80% of the regular muslims in the Egyptian streets actually do support them! These regular muslims are supposed to be the "not extremist open minded muslims" yet still they support ISIS, the brotherhood and Al Qaeda. So, I left it all. Quran, prophet, ahadeeth, mosque, veils all that shit doesn't really make sense to me anymore. I wouldn't call myself an atheist though, sometimes I feel I still believe in God other times I don't.
Fun fact about the goats. You know in the 7th century Arab youth when they were so horny used to ehm.....sleep with monkeys :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: You know because it is "haram" to touch a woman. I mean look how fucked up it is already

So you give up religion because of pussy? Oooh, Allahu Akbar ! :)

Now seriously. You can still believe in god, I do. I have hard time to define what god really is, but I do believe. But when group of people or some organization start to telling you that only way to god is through them and that they know what is good what is bad and also have absolute monopoly on that you should F-away from them.

Isn't everything bad in Islam and other religion. They are all made by the same master print. Also old religions are implemented in it. there are many good things in them and old wisdom, but often wrongly interpreted and lost in translation and time. There is also a lot of BS written in religious books thrugh the ages by different men and by various sometimes sinister intentions.

We are religious beings and if religion is taken away (communism, or blunt belief in science) people have tendency to replace that emptiness with something else. o religion is good but what is "consumed" moderately. Also one have to think deeply about what it's religion preaches wrongly and be able to recognize and reject that. Any blindly following of preacher or book is wary wrong.

Last edited:

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Egypt turned to atheism + of course ISIS and Al Qaeda and I am not talking about whether they represent the majority of muslims or not I am talking about the fact that literally like 80% of the regular muslims in the Egyptian streets actually do support them! These regular muslims are supposed to be the "not extremist open minded muslims" yet still they support ISIS, the brotherhood and Al Qaeda. So,

I'm glad that you braod that up. Many people in west have hard time wrapping their mind around that fact. They think that when some terrorist attack happen ,people in all Muslim countries condemning that. Only small majority of extremities supporting it.
Truth is, vast majority of not support attacks at least say "they deserve it". And that is case in all Muslim countries.

Papillon

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Massive unemployment, low social consideration, violent + corrupt cops, ethnic tension, blacks, asian and irish protestant /catholic troubles.
Maggie Thatcher and torie government. ..who only catered for their own class
..some, like me, saw, "no future"
It was sh-t times then my motivation was more jail or legion but your right like thatcher trying out the poll tax in Scotland as they had no seats or political representation!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
It was sh-t times then my motivation was more jail or legion but your right like thatcher trying out the poll tax in Scotland as they had no seats or political representation!

And when things got ,so called better. ..what did they do ?
Invite / accepted / encouraged new comers without nothing, just their wives and brats
Gave them housing, medical care, and positive discrimination for those willing to work
I will not be returning, ever to the UK (have nothing anyway, ,some family no doubt, and they can Kiss my arse

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
I cannot live without a purpose, I dunno but it is how I operate. Since I lost my religion I kinda lost my way. What I am trying to do now is to make the legion my purpose in life, however, this will not come true until I eventually join.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
So, today in military education session I figured out I am not eligible to join the Egyptian army because of "my eyesight". I honestly cannot believe that that guys in Eu and USA get in special forces after performing eye surgeries and here they wouldn't even be allowed to go to reserve forces. I won't act like I am disappointed or sad because I stopped caring about this country a long time ago. However, I feel now I have a very convincing answer to why I want to join the legion. BTW here goes why I won't join my own armed forces in case anybody was wondering.
They said today You cannot volunteer with a college degree, You can volunteer after grade9 before high school but not after. I don't even know what the heck is wrong with this country:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
So, today in military education session I figured out I am not eligible to join the Egyptian army because of "my eyesight". I honestly cannot believe that that guys in Eu and USA get in special forces after performing eye surgeries and here they wouldn't even be allowed to go to reserve forces. I won't act like I am disappointed or sad because I stopped caring about this country a long time ago. However, I feel now I have a very convincing answer to why I want to join the legion. BTW here goes why I won't join my own armed forces in case anybody was wondering.
They said today You cannot volunteer with a college degree, You can volunteer after grade9 before high school but not after. I don't even know what the heck is wrong with this country:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I wouldn't tell the legion you couldnt make it in your own military cause of bad eyesight.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If you eventually make it to the Legion, dont mention nothing about eye sight or anything other (dépression etc.) Serves you none and its up to them, if capable, to find fault (needs more than just a routine control)

Another point
All this back pack and walking stuff. ..what can i say ? It's a tourist thing !
Either you can walk or you cannot
At Aubange, do you think they are going to take wannabees on a raid march, to find out if you're apt or not ?
Concentrate on your pull ups, press ups, running, swimming and endurance
This will help more for being selected, than marching

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
hmmm, I will have a conscription medical waiver dismissing me from the Egyptian army. However, the reason for dismissal won't be written in that document. The downside is that it is a medical waiver. I reckon the Gestapo will need me to state a medical reason.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
hmmm, I will have a conscription medical waiver dismissing me from the Egyptian army. However, the reason for dismissal won't be written in that document. The downside is that it is a medical waiver. I reckon the Gestapo will need me to state a medical reason.
Dont take it with you.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
makes sense, I cant leave the country without clearing my situation so if they see a stamp in my passport from an egyptian airport it means i leaved the country legally.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
makes sense, I cant leave the country without clearing my situation so if they see a stamp in my passport from an egyptian airport it means i leaved the country legally.
Hi Keegan, not sure where the problem is. You need a medical waiver to leave the country. So take it with you and then post it back home to a friend or family. IF you don't get in and have to return and if they ask you about it, just say that you lost it, it can happen.

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
Actually I need it to extract some document from the army here it is an authroization to leave the country and will be taken from me in an egyptian airport. Every adult male in egypt is treated as a military personnel. We all need authorizationt from the army to leave egypt.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Keegan, I'm not trying to wind you up here, but you are going to get a waiver from the army because of one reason or another. Is this not good enough to get you the document you need? And if it is, again where is the problem?

Reaction score
Home Country
Egypt
I just want to make sure that I won't be asked in the legion to provide smth to prove that I cleared my situation

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
They know the countries that have national service, so i think they will. Wether it will be a reason for refusal (having or not having justified proof), dont think so, am speculating
Refusal will be more to physical aptitude