a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Run test

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Is the Cooper test still done? Or is it just beep test or is it both? If this is a stupid question I apologize, I was assuming just the beep test.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Brandon,
For the selection test, it's just the Luc-Léger (beep) test. As for in Castel and the various regiments... Answers from any current legionnaires will be much appreciated.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Home Country
South Africa
Hi Brandon,
for the entrance test, it's just the Luc Leger. As for in Castel and the various regiments... Answers from any current legionnaires will be much appreciated.
From what I've heard, you do the Cooper as part of your fitness test at the end of Instruction and then in regiment as well.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Hi, Brandon
From what i recall and from what i know or pretend to know (depending from the source)
The Beep test (Luc Léger ( is for a préliminaire entrace test
W@nker or not a W@nker ?
Do not waste the Legions time and money, if not
Cooper / Covapi, (1200 meters) usually a once a year exam, to see if you are still fighting fit
Of course, new styles and shapes develop
Correct me if am wrong, Joe
I might not mind
Post Shitum : I only speak metric on Cevennes
Like it or lump it

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Hi, Brandon
From what i recall and from what i know or pretend to know (depending from the source)
The Beep test (Luc Léger ( is for a préliminaire entrace test
Wanker or not a Wanker ?
Do not waste the Legions time and money, if not
Cooper / Covapi, (1200 meters) usually a once a year exam, to see if you are still fighting fit
Of course, new styles and shapes develop
Correct me if am wrong, Joe
I might not mind
Post Shitum : I only speak metric on Cevennes
Like it or lump it
Thank you for the information, def appreciate it. I'm just overly stressing at this point prob just because the day to fly to France it getting closer. I'm can't wait to get to Aubagne. My only shot at being an infantryman again don't want to f*ck this up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nickfury

Top Member
Reaction score
Wandering the Earth like Caine from Kung Fu.
Home Country
San Marino
Buddy just got to 2REP says the absolute MINIMUM is 2 miles (3200m) in 12 minutes. Most regiments it is 2800m. You should be doing better than that, less than that and you get your ass kicked.

Beep test or Luc Leger is only given in selection, you need a minimum of a palier/level 7, you should be aiming for much higher if you really want to be selected or do really well on pull ups or otherwise bring something to the table. Few guys that did minimums all around got accepted. The standard that is considered 'decent' is level 10, but honestly few guys reach or surpass that as most guys are thrown off by the new diet, jet lag, lack of sleep, stress, anxiety, different food (basically no breakfast) and considering the test is done in the morning usually just before lunch so you are going on just a piece of bread and coffee. No one hits the maxes they were doing in the civilian world during training for running or pull ups. Even the studs are not hitting their maxes.

I think the minimum pull ups is 7 or 8, that depends on when you go. At the front door when you first arrive it can vary from 5 to 10 pull ups and then for the actual sports test it is usually 7 or 8 minimum but if you really want to be seen as good you need over 15 and over 20 makes you stand out. But lots of guys do shitty pull ups not going all the way up and kicking to get their chin over the bar. Whether they count or not has a lot to do with which NCO is counting, some are more generous than others.

Swimming, 50 meters, so once down and back in a 25meter pool. It is pass or fail and you can do either craw/'freestyle" or breast stroke. As far as I know they don't waste time on you if you can't swim and non swimmers are sent home,, but oddly the test is given near the end of selection. They may keep guys with special skills or potential and just teach then in basic.

Hint 1: Don't over train things like pushups and pullups in "Paradise" the holding area when you are waiting to do your tests. You might totally burn out your arms and not perform to your peak when you do the sports test. This can be a problem.

Hint 2: You do the pull ups immediately after your luc leger, well, you have like 2- 3 minutes to get water and recover a bit, the guys who dropped out first get more rest, the guy who is the top running stud gets the least rest. They do the pull ups in the order of your names. So it can work out where the running stud finishes the run last and does the pull ups first. haha, it sucks, but in this case they "Might" give you more rest time, depends on the cadre. Train pull ups after running and use that as your baseline for if you are ready. So be able to do 20 or more AFTER a hard run which ends in sprints.

TLDR
*Cooper you will do in basic and regiment, aim for 3200m/2 miles in 12 min, don't go unless you are hitting at least 2800m which is the standard in many regiments, 3200m if you want 2 REP.

*Beep test/luc leger aim for level 10 to be a good candidate (min is 7). I wouldn't go unless you are hitting 9.

*Pull ups aim for over 20 full dead hang pull ups with chin over the bar with no kipping or kicking to be seen as a good candidate. Though minimum is like 7 or 8 I wouldn't even get on a plane unless you were doing over 15 on a regular basis.

*Swim, be able to at least swim 50 meters by crawl or breaststroke, never stop, never quit, don't look like you are struggling or they will pull you and you fail.

Last edited:

mm66

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Cooper test is an 8 min mile pace for us heathens that don’t use metric. Very doable even for my fatass.
3200 meters is two miles so 6 minutes a mile. Train for that, trust me.

The easiest way to interval train sprints. Take your two miles and break it down as follows:
1/2 mile in three minutes
Jog 1/4 mile
1/4 mile in 1:30
Jog 1/8 mile
jog 1/4 mile
jog 1/4 mile
1/8 mile in :45
jog 1/4
1/8 mile in 45
jog 1/8
1/8 mile in 45
jog 1/8
1/8 mile in 45

Jog 1/4 mile

Entire workout done in 20ish minutes

Monday=run distance, add 1/4 mile a week from your max
Tuesday= plan laid out above
Tuesday=distance,do not increase mondays extra 1/4
thursday=Plan above
Friday=REST
Saturday=March 15 miles NO RUCK
Sunday=REST
After two weeks add 1/2 at 3 minutes and take away one 1/4 and two 1/8

Eventually you will get to one mile at 6 minutes.

Very easy to build VO max. DO THIS PLAN TO INCREASE BEEP TEST AS WELL. Practice beep test once a week, say Saturday.

You have to build that VO max... period

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
You will run more than you march. ..
Find your balance
Post Shitum : Take care of your feet before, bi ceps, tri ceps and deltois
The making of a blue arsed grunt
But you are not, you have previous
Okay, mechanised, but still
Run and never give up
Jeeze, why do i always have to explain

Ex-Pongo

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
Buddy just got to 2REP says the absolute MINIMUM is 2 miles (3200m) in 12 minutes. Most regiments it is 2800m. You should be doing better than that, less than that and you get your ass kicked.

Beep test or Luc Leger is only given in selection, you need a minimum of a palier/level 7, you should be aiming for much higher if you really want to be selected or do really well on pull ups or otherwise bring something to the table. Few guys that did minimums all around got accepted. The standard that is considered 'decent' is level 10, but honestly few guys reach or surpass that as most guys are thrown off by the new diet, jet lag, lack of sleep, stress, anxiety, different food (basically no breakfast) and considering the test is done in the morning usually just before lunch so you are going on just a piece of bread and coffee. No one hits the maxes they were doing in the civilian world during training for running or pull ups. Even the studs are not hitting their maxes.

I think the minimum pull ups is 7 or 8, that depends on when you go. At the front door when you first arrive it can vary from 5 to 10 pull ups and then for the actual sports test it is usually 7 or 8 minimum but if you really want to be seen as good you need over 15 and over 20 makes you stand out. But lots of guys do shitty pull ups not going all the way up and kicking to get their chin over the bar. Whether they count or not has a lot to do with which NCO is counting, some are more generous than others.

Swimming, 50 meters, so once down and back in a 25meter pool. It is pass or fail and you can do either craw/'freestyle" or breast stroke. As far as I know they don't waste time on you if you can't swim and non swimmers are sent home,, but oddly the test is given near the end of selection. They may keep guys with special skills or potential and just teach then in basic.

Hint 1: Don't over train things like pushups and pullups in "Paradise" the holding area when you are waiting to do your tests. You might totally burn out your arms and not perform to your peak when you do the sports test. This can be a problem.

Hint 2: You do the pull ups immediately after your luc leger, well, you have like 2- 3 minutes to get water and recover a bit, the guys who dropped out first get more rest, the guy who is the top running stud gets the least rest. They do the pull ups in the order of your names. So it can work out where the running stud finishes the run last and does the pull ups first. haha, it sucks, but in this case they "Might" give you more rest time, depends on the cadre. Train pull ups after running and use that as your baseline for if you are ready. So be able to do 20 or more AFTER a hard run which ends in sprints.

TLDR
*Cooper you will do in basic and regiment, aim for 3200m/2 miles in 12 min, don't go unless you are hitting at least 2800m which is the standard in many regiments, 3200m if you want 2 REP.

*Beep test/luc leger aim for level 10 to be a good candidate (min is 7). I wouldn't go unless you are hitting 9.

*Pull ups aim for over 20 full dead hang pull ups with chin over the bar with no kipping or kicking to be seen as a good candidate. Though minimum is like 7 or 8 I wouldn't even get on a plane unless you were doing over 15 on a regular basis.

*Swim, be able to at least swim 50 meters by crawl or breaststroke, never stop, never quit, don't look like you are struggling or they will pull you and you fail.

Before I went, I got myself used to a 'spartan diet'. I passed all my tests with the strange 'aubagne flu' that hits some people there. That said, I scraped the run, I reckon I only passed cause I just refused to quit.
Mental strength guys. I don't know how you can train for that but have some before you join.

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Before I went, I got myself used to a 'spartan diet'. I passed all my tests with the strange 'aubagne flu' that hits some people there. That said, I scraped the run, I reckon I only passed cause I just refused to quit.
Mental strength guys. I don't know how you can train for that but have some before you join.
I was a 3 week non select for army SF. I knew I wasn’t the biggest or fastest but I saw a lot of guys not make it because they quit. I may not have been what they were looking for but at least I never quit on myself.

USMCRET

Reaction score
Home Country
United States

This is probably the best answer, once you accept, Hey I am in the Marine Corps or Legion, endurance will only get you so far and then it becomes mental

Reaction score
Home Country
Armenia

TLDR

A reasonable general program will include 3 workouts per week. One will be running for distance over 3km but there is no reason to have a distance in excess of 7km. In the other two workouts you can practice the pace you are aiming to reach. To run 3000m in 11 minutes you must of course be able to run 1000m in difficulty at 3:40 and in order to run 3000m in 10 minutes you must run 1000m in difficulty in 3:20 minutes . Therefore, one week training will be devoted to 3 reps of a 1000m run with a few minutes break between runs. Since you have been able to run 3000m at 11:30 minutes (pace of 3:50 minutes per 1000m), try running 3x 1000m at a slightly faster pace, for example 3:45 minutes to 1000m with approx. 5 minutes break between runs. If you did it without difficulty, try the same workout next week but with a shorter break, for example a 3 minute break between runs. Additional training will be for shorter distance repetitions, for example 8 reps of 400 meters. The pace can already be close to the target pace, which is about 1:20 minutes to 400 if you want to reach 10 minutes or about 1:28 minutes to 400m if you aim for 11 minutes. The first break time can be about 2:30 minutes and gradually decrease to 1:30 minutes. Of course, it is best to start with a workout that you will not have difficulty completing as many as 400 times at a rate of approximately 1:35 and progress gradually each week if you have successfully completed the previous workout. There is no point in moving forward if you have not been able to complete the previous training in the times you have set yourself. In this case, repeat the previous workout.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
One question. Did anyone heard about situation where beep test could be eliminative for all, but #1 fastest guy?

I just had chat with some Danish guy named Grobsop on youtube and that is what he is saying. I don't know, maybe he is lying, maybe he is for real. I would appreciate all opinions on that? Does that happen to anyone before?

So here it is youtube link. My name is same as here. There is no many comments so you would be easy to wound me. I also have legionary Green and red which I don't deserve and I would change that soon. Don't want to put someone in false impression that I served when I didn't.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
One question. Did anyone heard about situation where beep test could be eliminative for all, but #1 fastest guy?

I just had chat with some Danish guy named Grobsop on youtube and that is what he is saying. I don't know, maybe he is lying, maybe he is for real. I would appreciate all opinions on that? Does that happen to anyone before?

So here it is youtube link. My name is same as here. There is no many comments so you would be easy to wound me. I also have legionary Green and red which I don't deserve and I would change that soon. Don't want to put someone in false impression that I served when I didn't.

Grobsop
7 hours ago (edited)
They cut you right here if you dont pass. I got cut with the guys slower than me.. and the cut was between me and the guy faster than me. Sooo close...

I think he may be lying, as I cannot see everyone except for one guy making it to pallier 7, and even then he must have only just made it it through as the second guy was soooooo close.
I left a comment to put him right. What people don't understand is that he is passing on false information which people may take for gospel:
Joseph Cosgrove
Joseph Cosgrove
1 second ago
I'm sorry mate, I'm calling BS here, You are telling me that there was only ONE (1) person who made it to level 7, which is the limit for elimination? BullS***. And don't try and tell me that it is the legion's way of getting rid of people that they don't want, Why would they go about it that way, when there are so many other ways to get rid of candidates. Be honest and admit that you were not prepared. Because, although you were binned because you were not up to it, you must remember that there are a lot of people who are reading and watching the legion threads.
Show less

BTW I gave a thumbs up for your comment (as you[re the birthday boy !)

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Grobsop7 hours ago (edited)
They cut you right here if you dont pass. I got cut with the guys slower than me.. and the cut was between me and the guy faster than me. Sooo close...

I think he may be lying, as I cannot see everyone except for one guy making it to pallier 7, and even then he must have only just made it it through as the second guy was soooooo close.
I left a comment to put him right. What people don't understand is that he is passing on false information which people may take for gospel:
Joseph Cosgrove
Joseph Cosgrove
1 second ago
I'm sorry mate, I'm calling BS here, You are telling me that there was only ONE (1) person who made it to level 7, which is the limit for elimination? BullS***. And don't try and tell me that it is the legion's way of getting rid of people that they don't want, Why would they go about it that way, when there are so many other ways to get rid of candidates. Be honest and admit that you were not prepared. Because, although you were binned because you were not up to it, you must remember that there are a lot of people who are reading and watching the legion threads.
Show less

He clearly BE-ing about something and he don't believe you for you 17 y in FFL :). Which is kinda expected
Thanks Joe. Today I'm one year further from joining FFL (Yeah, I like to watch at things from bright side :))

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
He clearly BE-ing about something and he don't believe you for you 17 y in FFL :). Which is kinda expected

Thanks Joe. Today I'm one year further from joining FFL (Yeah, I like to watch at things from bright side :))
I like the FFL picture dusaunnamed.jpg :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Grobsop7 hours ago (edited)

Joseph Cosgrove
Joseph Cosgrove
1 second ago
Show less

read the guys comments...LOL. did not have a clue who he´s talking sh&t too. never mind.