a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running in boots?

Zealot919

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Running in boots, an excellent way to prepare yourself for a military career or a surefire way to shatter your shins like bamboo sticks?

I often feel more comfortable running in some crappy boots i brought couple of years ago then i do trainers. But then I'm told it hacks up your knees, back and shins. Whats everyones opinion on this?

Whats the ratio on the FFL trainer runs to boot runs?

Slivovitz

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Running in boots, an excellent way to prepare yourself for a military career or a surefire way to shatter your shins like bamboo sticks?

I often feel more comfortable running in some crappy boots i brought couple of years ago then i do trainers. But then I'm told it hacks up your knees, back and shins. Whats everyones opinion on this?

Running shoes are better for running; easier on your joints, etc. That being said, there's nothing more comfortable than a broken-in, old pair of boots. Walk in boots. Run in shoes.
Not sure about The Legion, but from what I know the American military exercises in running shoes.

flash010

Top Member
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
in that case the legion is not for you we run in boots (rangers) all the time even do 8 clicks in them with full kit never herd any one get shin splints we must be made of stronger stuff than you:eek:

Last edited:

Swety

Reaction score
Home Country
Sweden
You run with what you have on you in the military ( Usually boots)
So buy som nice boots and start to run with them.

Tyrone W

son_of_scotland

Reaction score
Home Country
Scotland
My way of thinking is ..... DONT RUN IN BOOTS .

The reason is simple. You are a civvy . There will be plenty of time to run in boots when you need to and WHEN your told to. When you join the military, the instructors will not expect you to have previously ran in boots so therefore, the training will be progressive. There is no need to put extra strain on your body unnessisarily. The instructors will let you know when its time for boots.

Zealot919

Reaction score
Home Country
England
Its a very half-half debate I think. If you do any military service, you going to be running in boots for 3-5 years, so whats a few months going to do to you? Plus if you train slowly with boots at home, that will give you a good edge I think. I have done a couple of runs, alternating between boots and trainers, and i'm personnely not feeling anything wrong with boots. If anything, they more comfortable. But that might be a personnely thing.

I'll let you know if I snap a shin or something.

Eagle eye

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Macao
...In my time, sports trainers were used in most morning runs, the boots were for the periodic 'assault course' and 8km+runs: you'll average around 100 kms every month: that's 8km times 3 times every week....in RCA, a small team ran 12kms every working day and 20kms every week....it was voluntary and over three months or so....came out a long-distance runner - but helas, you can also lose that kinda shape....

blahblahblah

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
running or doing anything in combat boots depends on your lacing system. use your head and dont tie them right tight at the top. tight at the bottom and loose at the top or else you will get shin splits. do it right the first time or suffer through it and change for the second time, your choice.

here in this army we are told that we are not supposed to be running in combat boots. fk me! if you want to walk in combat boots when a mcpl is yelling at you you will be labelled a bag of shit but your platoon mates and your senior ranks. as with everything else in the army, you are part of a team, go with the flow, do as the rest and blend in and you will do well. want to be an individual and try showing up in combat dress and running shoes... seen it i kid you not. seen guys go to the hospital to get new boots that are more comfortable on your feet..... fk me they were labelled pissies and that name will never wear off the length of their career.

good day.

joette ✞

In Memoriam....Retired and missed Mod ...
Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
running or doing anything in combat boots depends on your lacing system. use your head and dont tie them right tight at the top. tight at the bottom and loose at the top or else you will get shin splits. do it right the first time or suffer through it and change for the second time, your choice.

here in this army we are told that we are not supposed to be running in combat boots. fk me! if you want to walk in combat boots when a mcpl is yelling at you you will be labelled a bag of shit but your platoon mates and your senior ranks. as with everything else in the army, you are part of a team, go with the flow, do as the rest and blend in and you will do well. want to be an individual and try showing up in combat dress and running shoes... seen it i kid you not. seen guys go to the hospital to get new boots that are more comfortable on your feet..... fk me they were labelled pissies and that name will never wear off the length of their career.

good day.

if your not supposed to run in combat boots..then what happens if yer in combat with combat boots on and ya got to run??:D

crazysix0231

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
if your not supposed to run in combat boots..then what happens if yer in combat with combat boots on and ya got to run??:D
YOU DONT RUN, YOU STAND AND FIGHT, NoOne can out run muther bullet:D

When I was in the Marines, if someones feet were tore up pretty bad they were made to wear gofasters(sneakers). The best booy i ever ran in was Danner fort lewis runners, desert boots, isreali combat boots (canvas) boots so offer more ankle support but the suck on arches, besy bet is to shop around, some boots Im gonna purchase are the Oakelt SI desert, or Convers combat boots, very comfy, and some units are ok'ed to wear them

DevilD

Reaction score
Home Country
United States
YOU DONT RUN, YOU STAND AND FIGHT, NoOne can out run muther bullet:D

When I was in the Marines, if someones feet were tore up pretty bad they were made to wear gofasters(sneakers). The best booy i ever ran in was Danner fort lewis runners, desert boots, isreali combat boots (canvas) boots so offer more ankle support but the suck on arches, besy bet is to shop around, some boots Im gonna purchase are the Oakelt SI desert, or Convers combat boots, very comfy, and some units are ok'ed to wear them

i still like my cadillacs. have a pair left over that were well broken in and kept well polished. pretty f***ing comfy:D

wanabe

Reaction score
Home Country
Canada
Well I am canadain so I have the weather to tell me boots or shoes simple November-March boots April-October Runners :D I do notice that in cold weather i do hirt my ancles more then usualy but that could be the -48 degrees C and the snow in your boots

PS when in the hell is Canada going to get any of this damn global warming Europe and Asia are hogging all of it and Africa even gets some of it but why not Canada :mad: ohh wait we do only in the summer up to around 30 to 40 degrees

Madmonk 7.5

Actual or Ex Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Netherlands
I use my Jesus boots year round, no pussy whining about boots for me :D

joette ✞

In Memoriam....Retired and missed Mod ...
Former Moderator
RIP ✞
Reaction score
Home Country
United States
Well I am canadain so I have the weather to tell me boots or shoes simple November-March boots April-October Runners :D I do notice that in cold weather i do hirt my ancles more then usualy but that could be the -48 degrees C and the snow in your boots

PS when in the hell is Canada going to get any of this damn global warming Europe and Asia are hogging all of it and Africa even gets some of it but why not Canada :mad: ohh wait we do only in the summer up to around 30 to 40 degrees

HAHA yer not..its all down here, I would be glad to send you some of it tho!;)