a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salut / Hello

Reaction score
Home Country
Switzerland
Hello guys

I made now my 3th account and it finally got approved.

Im from Switzerland and 24 years old. Im from the german part. Im currently in France staying with a family to learn french and to have time to train. I learned french in school but forgot all of it. My plan of joining exist since around 6 months.

My goal is the GCM or GCP or even the PCG (plongeurs) but im not 100% sure yet.

Best regards

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I made now my 3th account and it finally got approved
Hi Swisslion.CH and welcome to the forum. Unfortunately there were a few problems in the past, for the moment all is good.

So if I 've gotten this correct, it's either Groupement Commando Mountagne, GCP or Plongeur de Combat Genie. When are you thinking of joining?
Use the search functions for anything that you may need. PCG, you will probably fond under DINOPs.
If I may give you a bit of advice? I would concentrate more on getting. Best of luck.

Reaction score
Home Country
Switzerland
Im not sure yet when I join. I think around summer 2021. I wanta decend level of french and the commando units arent a easy cake so i need more time to train my self.

Thank you for your advice with the search button.

Do you know what happend so swiss legionairs after they went home? Sadly its illegal for a swiss person to joi the Legion. (I will do it anyway).

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Do you know what happend so swiss legionairs after they went home? Sadly its illegal for a swiss person to joi the Legion. (I will do it anyway).
Hi Swiss and welcome. From when Swiss have that law? Some 5y ago my country implemented law which punishes Serbian citizens for joining foreign military and paramilitary. It was primary introduced so Islamic terrorists could be persecuted. once they come back. Guys joining FFL where OK and none was persecuted.
You should see into, maybe it's same thing with your country.

Reaction score
Home Country
Switzerland
Hi Swiss and welcome. From when Swiss have that law? Some 5y ago my country implemented law which punishes Serbian citizens for joining foreign military and paramilitary. It was primary introduced so Islamic terrorists could be persecuted. once they come back. Guys joining FFL where OK and none was persecuted.
You should see into, maybe it's same thing with your country.
Its illegal for suisse for a long time. Because of the neutrality and the militia army. Even when switzerland had a long and old tradition in serving the ffl. From what i heard is that you end up in prison for 3 months or you have to join the swiss army. Even swiss guys that joined the ffl during ww2 got send to prison after the war :/

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but it's the Swiss who guard the Pope. The Vatican is a State unto itself. You certainly won't be the only or first Swiss to join the legion. I met an adjudant when I was in 3 REII who was a pilot in the Swiss army, He stole a fighter and landed in France before joining. The plane was returned of course.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Met him at the aerodrome near where I lived, 15 / 20 years ago..he was already a certain age
Was with Theo H, a Hungarian, who was a jet pilot in his home country s army. Ended up Adjudant
We were in the same company for a while
He too served in the 3. R.E.I., as a pilot of a light aircraft. He would patrol over the launch site before the launches...showed me some very cool photos of
Impressive indeed

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Met him at the aerodrome near where I lived, 15 / 20 years ago..he was already a certain age
Was with Theo H, a Hungarian, who was a jet pilot in his home country s army. Ended up Adjudant
We were in the same company for a while
He too served in the 3. R.E.I., as a pilot of a light aircraft. He would patrol over the launch site before the launches...showed me some very cool photos of
Impressive indeed
ULM, I remember when I was in Calvi, they were looking for volontiers.

Reaction score
Home Country
Switzerland
I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but it's the Swiss who guard the Pope. The Vatican is a State unto itself. You certainly won't be the only or first Swiss to join the legion. I met an adjudant when I was in 3 REII who was a pilot in the Swiss army, He stole a fighter and landed in France before joining. The plane was returned of course.
Its legal to serve in the Swiss Guards, because its considered more of a police duty then army. Its the only thing swiss are allowed. Anyway im looking forward to join even when the confitement is really starting to piss me off. Im currently pepraring for the summer but with the lockdown im more and more considering to ho now. I saw a newspaper articel in french where it said that the legion wanta 350 people before christmas. So i dont know if its easier to join know.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Preparing what?
French lessons?
350 french speaker's before Noël...is what the Legion want's and not for summer time
You stand a chance (even tho you are not a proper Francophile)
Pay attention to what we all say ( greens)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
Switzerland
Preparing what?
French lessons?
350 french speaker's before Noël...is what the Legion want's and not for summer time
You stand a chance (even tho you are not a proper Francophile)
Pay attention to what we all say ( greens)
Im in France to learn French and increase my Fitness. I did 1 hour of Crossfit everyday and swom for 1km each day but know everything is closed. I only have a 20kg Kettlebell. Because my goals are high (GCP ect.) I want to be as fit as possible and not just the minimum. And i also want to unterstand what someone will yell at me :D

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
There's no need to understand what we yell....we just yell
If not, you will never understand what it's all about
In one ear and out the other...as my babouchka used to whisper me
GPC and etc are a far distance ambition, if you are lucky to reach that goal
Be happy, to begin things, just being a legionnaire and take it from there
Post Schitum
No expectations = No disappointments

Reaction score
Home Country
Switzerland
There's no need to understand what we yell....we just yell
In one ear and out the other...
GPC and etc are a far distance ambitions, if you are lucky to reach that goal
Be happy, to begin things, just being a legionnaire and take it from there
Post Schitum
No expectations = No disappointments
Yes thats true. The swiss army was special but gave me the opertunity to realise that i really like the basic live of a soldier. Which many people dont like. I would be really happy if i get into the 2REP. My greatuncle was a german paratrooper and made his brevet de parachutist with the legion. So the i would be the second in the family

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
you are trying to say / be / mean..."" More Majurum ", I think ?
Good attitude, but can you do your 7 pull ups correctly and level 7 on the Luc Légère test?
Post Schitum
No expectations = no disappointments
At least for the first 5 years..the rest is all down hill after wards

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
If you get accepted in the Legion... you will not know where your career will lead you... it's okay havening ambitions but it is the hierarchy who will and always decide what you will do and be

Reaction score
Home Country
Switzerland
I can do the 7 pull ups with deadhang. I never tested myself on the luc legere. I usually run 4km in 20 to 21minutes.

I have goals and hope to achieve them. But at the end im looking for the soldiers live that i never knew i like so much. Others felt like in prison during the service but i felt more free. Nothing to worrie about just the tasks ahead of you

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
Its legal to serve in the Swiss Guards, because its considered more of a police duty then army. Its the only thing swiss are allowed. Anyway im looking forward to join even when the confitement is really starting to piss me off. Im currently pepraring for the summer but with the lockdown im more and more considering to ho now. I saw a newspaper articel in french where it said that the legion wanta 350 people before christmas. So i dont know if its easier to join know.
C'mon, would you dress that crazy orange-blue uniform and guard bunch of aging pedos ... or would you serve FFL and get everyone respect?

Yeah, many wouldn't like fact that you are legionar, but they would respect you. It was (I guess it still is) great motive for me.

Reaction score
Home Country
Switzerland
C'mon, would you dress that crazy orange-blue uniform and guard bunch of aging pedos ... or would you serve FFL and get everyone respect?

Yeah, many wouldn't like fact that you are legionar, but they would respect you. It was (I guess it still is) great motive for me.
I dont join the legion for respect or anything like that. It just feels the right thing to do.