Salut, I'm a South African preparing to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Je m'appelle Euan,

I would just like to introduce myself. I am 25 years of age and preparing to join the Legion towards the end of the year or perhaps sooner should I feel the need to. I am studying French and training especially for the opportunity to be part of the Legion. I would like to thank this forum and its members for all the great hints and tips.

I stay currently in Cape Town, South Africa. I also have a lifelong friend who also plans on joining me on this mission.

I have just one question (which I did see posted in another post, but wasn't sure how true it was), can you transfer money after completing basic should you need too? I was thinking of investing some of what I earn.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions on my training strategy or any other questions or answers.

voltigeur

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Canada
Yes you can, but you would have to be a Scott, Jew or a Dutchman to have money left over to invest.

Last edited:
OP
E

Euan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
You right about the scott part, but in all seriousness what can I expect to honestly blow my money on while there? Are the whores that expensive?

belabok

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
(...) and things you buy privately to improve your issued gear.
Yes absolutely true and it is a lot. Initially I could not understand that, but now I do and understand why. What they earn in Euro's might sound like a LOT in SAR, but remember expenses are also in EURO. dis kak en betaal boetie.. and end of day there is really not much left for "investment". You living a wet dream if you think you will be able to make bundles of money while serving in legion..

You join the Legion because:
1) it is a calling
2) You really fvucked and have no other option
3) you're after some paperwork at the end of the contract (of which there are a lot).

OP
E

Euan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Yes absolutely true and it is a lot. Initially I could not understand that, but now I do and understand why. What they earn in Euro's might sound like a LOT in SAR, but remember expenses are also in EURO. dis kak en betaal boetie.. and end of day there is really not much left for "investment". You living a wet dream if you think you will be able to make bundles of money while serving in legion..

1) it is a calling
2) You really fvucked and have no other option
3) you're after some paperwork at the end of the contract (of which there are a lot).
Okay fair enough I'm not goint there to make money, that's not the plan, but honestly blowing your monthly wage sounds excessive. Is it at all fesible to save atleast half of that wage month to month over the five year period?

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Netherlands
The first year you earn around €1'000 a month. In town a beer costs around €3, (cheaper in the foyer), pizza around €8. Imagine being on leave for a weekend in Paris for example, you might spent there half your salary in that weekend.
To save some money is possible if you are in 3REI or on deployment cause then there is not much oppurtunities to sent money.

Meduhcate

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Welcome to the forum I'm new here as well I have a friend also that will be going with me in may to join hopefully all works out and we get to stick together best of luck to you and your friend as well! :cool:

belabok

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
(...)To save some money is possible if you are in 3REI or on deployment cause then there is not much oppurtunities to sent money
That is absolute true, but even in Guiana you still break away when you can. Guiana 3Rei is not a joke. So when they break away, they do that as a group and they properly do it. Yes you can say, “NO thank you, guys I am staying in camp, I am saving moneyâ€￾, believe me you will lost your mind. But yes the only way to really save some money is to be deployed and some legionnaires have accumulating some cash for a rainy day from deployments, but a lot of guys walk out after 5 years, not much better off financially then the day they joined.
However when stationed in France, believe me expenses are high, and anyone able to save half of their salary, is the exception to the rule and you must be stingy as Jack.
Good luck on your endeavours, but you seriously need to get a reality check.

OP
E

Euan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
(...) you seriously need to get a reality check.
A reality check is exactly what I'm after. I'm sure many before me have gone in thinking “lekker I'm gonna come out smiling.â€￾ Also means I am going to have to break the news to my friend.
Belabok sounds like the guys are having a party blowing their monthlys then?

Sarajevo1992

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Netherlands
A reality check is exactly what I'm after. I'm sure many before me have gone in thinking “lekker I'm gonna come out smiling.â€￾ Also means I am going to have to break the news to my friend.
Belabok sounds like the guys are having a party blowing their monthlys then?
Imagine being on deployment where there is a possibility to loose your life almost on a daily bases and then you get a change to let of steam on R & R. You don't think about saving money, you think about having fun while you still can.
For example, when I was in Sarajevo 1993 you had one 60 hours leave (with some changes of workshifts even 76 hours when lucky). Spent €5'000 on first class hotel, alcohol, restaurants and stripclubs cause who gives a s**t about money when you don't know if you gonna make it back home? Better to live the day rather then save up and get killed before time to spent.

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Je m'appelle Euan

I would just like to introduce myself. I am 25 years of age and preparing to join the legion towards the end of the year or perhaps sooner should I feel the need to. I am studying French and training especially for the opportunity to be part of the legion. I would like to thank this forum and its members for all the great hints and tips.

I stay currently in Cape Town, South Africa.
I also have a lifelong friend who also plans on joining me on this mission.

I have just one question (which I did see posted in another post, but wasn't sure how true it was), can you transfer money after completing basic should you need too? I was thinking of investing some of what I earn.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions on my training strategy or any other questions/ or answers.
Despite what others are saying in regards to this - I can't see any reason why you couldn't.

1) I would suggest not drinking (save that)
2) Don't smoke - anything! (save that)
3) Don't **** whores (save that)

I'm sure you could save a few bob this way ;)

sdelapresilla

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Vietnam
Je m'appelle Euan

I would just like to introduce myself. I am 25 years of age and preparing to join the legion towards the end of the year or perhaps sooner should I feel the need to. I am studying French and training especially for the opportunity to be part of the legion. I would like to thank this forum and its members for all the great hints and tips.

I stay currently in Cape Town, South Africa.
I also have a lifelong friend who also plans on joining me on this mission.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions on my training strategy or any other questions/ or answers.
Bonne chance mon ami!

Stevezyla

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United States
You can save money! Then give it to the Bartender and the Whores! LOL. Of course you can save and you should.

exbritmil

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Despite what others are saying in regards to this - I can't see any reason why you couldn't.

1) I would suggest not drinking (save that)
2) Don't smoke - anything! (save that)
3) Don't **** whores (save that)

I'm sure you could save a few bob this way ;)
You really have no clue how the military works do you? Especially when you're at the bottom of the pecking order, you do like the rest because you want to fit in, you need to fit in, and if you think you can do it alone your way, you might just be the last guy in the platoon anyone gives a shit about. And that only ends 2 ways: you get a shoeing, or you get dead first.

G.I. Joe

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
You really have no clue how the military works do you? Especially when you're at the bottom of the pecking order, you do like the rest because you want to fit in, you need to fit in, and if you think you can do it alone your way, you might just be the last guy in the platoon anyone gives a shit about. And that only ends 2 ways: you get a shoeing, or you get dead first.
Yeah well you are new to this forum and aren't really doing a great job of fitting in.
I will not be drinking in the military.
I will not be ******* whores in the military.
I also will not be reading anything else from you on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
E

Euan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Replies have been helpful thanks guys. I am not saying I'm not going to blow my wage at times, of course I will, but I won’t be doing it to fit in, and neither am I going to be stingy rat, twas merely looking at the feasibility of saving here and there. As for 'exbritmil' I don't need to fit in with the likes of you, for you I administer a 'poes klap' 100% South African flavour you will wake up with a hangover for the next three days.

belabok

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Replies have been helpful thanks guys. I am not saying I'm not going to blow my wage at times, of course I will, but I won’t be doing it to fit in, and neither am I going to be stingy rat, twas merely looking at the feasibility of saving here and there. As for 'exbritmil' I don't need to fit in with the likes of you, for you I administer a 'poes klap' 100% South African flavour you will wake up with a hangover for the next three days.
You are out of line with your comments, you are bloody vulgar. Just because others don't know what you say does not make this acceptable on this forum. If you cannot contain yourself, please go administer your klappe somewhere else. Absolute disgrace and disrespect for the forum. Your reaction shows poor taste and immaturity.

OP
E

Euan

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
yes absolutely true and it is a lot. Initially I could not understand that, but now I do and understand why. What they earn in Euro's might sound like a LOT in SAR, but remember expenses are also in EURO. dis kak en betaal boetie.. and end of day there is really not much left for "investment". You living a wet dream if you think you will be able to make bundles of money while serving in legion..

1) it is a calling
2) You really fvcked and have no other option
Excuse me. Don’t lecture me on being vulgar... Hypocrite, please re-read your post? Your arrogance is a wet dream here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most viewed threads of the week