a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salute to a Gutsy Lady.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
On the 08.00 hours news just now.

Royal Horse Artillery Captain Rosy Wild (spellings) has just passed Pegasus Company Selection (P.Coy) for the Parachute Regiment. Congratulations are in order for it is a 5 day brutal course. She has now earnt her red beret and will subsequently undertake her static line parachute course.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Forgot to mention, she is the first female ever. It is however reported that she will not fight in the front line. True or false I can't comment since that will be up to the top brass to decide.

The SAS is now also open for female selection.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
The Royal marines too. Will they be allowed to join the SBS? I believe it was David Cameron who dropped the Ban on allow ing female to join infantry roles.. Etc

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
A few years old but she was the first Beefeater! (No sick jokes)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Forgot to mention, she is the first female ever. It is however reported that she will not fight in the front line. True or false I can't comment since that will be up to the top brass to decide.

She's not infantry anyway she's RHA might be an OP though. They do go forward with the infantry.. Etc. They have female Gun no1s now i think. Even on tanks too 🙂
Would we ever see a woman in the Légion in a combat role? 🤔

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
Norway
She's not infantry anyway she's RHA might be an OP though. They do go forward with the infantry.. Etc. They have female Gun no1s now i think. Even on tanks too 🙂
Would we ever see a woman in the Légion in a combat role? 🤔
Nah, seeing a woman in the legion in the BMC role is fine. Nothing wrong with that, great for troop morale.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Over the years 3 women have passed the All Arms Commando Course open to the RN, Army and RAF. With the pre beat up it is 13 weeks. The actual training skills and tests are over nine weeks.

Pippa RLC and an Army athlete was the first one. She took 3 attempts and had major problems. There were doubts as to whether, in fact it was a publicity stunt. She never served with Cdo Brigade but was allowed to wear the red dagger on the blue triangle symbol as are all commando qualified RN. Army and RAF. They are not however allowed to wear the CGB. It was the same for me in the Queens TA. I just sported the dagger symbol.

Another Army aspirant and one RN surgeon have both passed. The latter passed without re-runs and can now serve with the medical facilities of 3 Cdo Brigade when on operations.

Our esteemed Mod Joe completed the All Arms Commando Course in the days when it was really hard.;);):):)

On an aside when The Duke Of York was awarded his CGB the training team refused to be photographed with him. I leave it to you to guess why.(n)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Our esteemed Mod Joe completed the All Arms Commando Course in the days when it was really hard.;);):):)
Are you saying Standards have dropped? I remember the ex 29 commando guys in our regt. All small wiry guys. Can't remember seeing any ex 7 RHA paras. The 29 guys were good blokes. One was a Sgt remember him saying his brother was SBS not sure if true. I can't see it being BS was a very good soldier.

dusaboss

Hyper Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Yugoslavia
My god. Why that doesn't sound right. Let say women would have same requirements as men. Still I don't think SAS is unit for woman. Even one Rombo like which can do everything good as men. There is plenty of other branches that fits females great (some even better than to men). But they just have to push limits and open SAS for women. Equality no matter what! And it's even not about equality anymore, It's about neo-feminist agenda where they have to proof women can do everything better than man. Facts and science doesn't matter.

When I said that requirements would be same for women ...do anyone honestly believe that gonna be case. Even if it is on paper?
I immediately see couple reasons why women would receive push in the back from many sides. Biggest would be from current political current in UK.
And soon enough they would be required to have certain number of females in unit.
On an aside when The Duke Of York was awarded his CGB the training team refused to be photographed with him. I leave it to you to guess why.(n)
He was rude to them? :)

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Ok this is a TV series or was. The guy was SBS with the beard. I think he's correct here.
Maybe chas knows more about this

Last edited:
Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Sexpert and Dusa,

I believe the standards are just as good since the course remains virtually the same as in WW2.
The difference being that current aspirants are far more technical and much better educated than those of my time. Training remains hard and the attrition rate high.

With Pippa she had problems on the assault course. Her final test was only in the presence of a PTI and an officer. It was a re-run and it is alleged that she still failed on one obstacle. True or not I do not know . Some said it was a PR stunt instituted by the MoD.

It is alleged that the Duke of York failed but was given the CGB. However it is known that the training team declined to have a photo shot with him at his presentation. The OAMAAM website discussed this last month and several said he failed arrogance aside.

Now Prince Charles did complete his military static line parachute course without participating in P.Coy. Hence as Colonel of the Regiment he is entitled to his wings.

Prince Edward joined the RM but opted out in the middle of training and never undertook his Commando Course.

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Prince Edward joined the RM but opted out in the middle of training and never undertook his Commando Course.
Yes i remember the saying..
You can turn a frog into a Prince but not a Prince to a marine... Or something like that. He's more of a poetry, Drama type of dude

Reaction score
Home Country
United Kingdom
Strong language but you gotta love the ant dude 😂😂

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Let's face it, these people come from extremely rich and privileged backgrounds. Alright they can't do what your average squaddie can do. But then again, your average squaddie cannot do P coy or the AACC. As for women being able to take part is SAS selection, yea why not, it means that the Brit army is being fair. As for allowing them to pass it, regardless of what they are capable of, not a hope in hell.
Just a note on women in the paras. In France there are loads of them. Except that they do not have to go through P coy. It's the same as French commandos, the standards are not the same and women take part and pass it.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Home Country
Croatia
I see no reason for doubting their patriotism, to be competent everybody needs to satisfy test and standards. that's what counts in the end.

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
North Korea
Portuguese men of war.
No, French and it's the second most visited painting in the Louvre museum... After, La Joconde.
A ship wreck off the coast of Mauritania/Senegal on July 2, 1816 (it was a Thursday and it was trajeudi, a day to remember), where only a couple of the crew survived. The wreck, (or the painting of the wreck) provoked a scandal at the time. Rich and inexperienced / incompetent officiers, holding command of such a high responsibility.
One of the survivors, the captain, was given a 5 years sentence... and other stuff
Is a reason we now have Non commissioned Officiers (in appearance)
Look closely at the painting and tell me what you can see (distinct)?

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Home Country
New Zealand
Actually it was a joke, méduse (jelly fish in English) being a nickname fir Portuguese men of war. I've actually seen it, more or less up close in the Louvre. It's massive. For those who go to Paris, you have one Sunday a month where you can visit for free.
The actual painting in English is called the raft of Medusa.
If I remember correctly there were being towed by the life boats and then the captain told the men to cut them loose because they were slowing them down. They resorted to cannibalism? Not too sure about that part.
What I am sure is that if you look closely (you'd have to know it was there) you can see a ship in the distance which is why some are waving, just before the huge wave hits them. I can't remember, but is that a woman in the foreground?
That is about all I can remember about the painting.