QUESTION Shaving in French Foreign legion

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Israel
Hi, Im thinking about joining FFL. Been in IDF infantry and last few years instructed in Ukrainian special forces.
My actual questionis: can I be allowed to shave with electronic shaver not steel one? Its a small but important fir me question since ite out of religious considerations

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hello Tzvi and welcome to the forum.
I can't see them allowing you to shave with an electric shaver during recruitment or during basic training. Once you get to your regiment, as long as it shaves as close the the skin as a wet razor, no problems.

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Than I. Can say that shaving itsekf is superstition. I wonder how armies around tge world including IDF and others win wars
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that statement. Is there a connection between shaving and winning wars?
I honestly cannot understand what the big deal is with wet shaving. It can't be religious as the electric shaver hasn't been around that long.
Just a word of warning however, making a point here on the forum is one thing, making it in Aubagne is completely different.

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
Tzivi,
now that’s one ‘religious’ shaving thingi I have not come across before. How many of these various religious superstitions are out there, I wonder.
I can just imagine the scene at CP2 in Sidi Bel Abbes at inspection de chambre time.

Legionnaire 2eme Classe:
‘Cheeses, mon lieutenant, the reason I didn’t show up at resamblage is I couldn't find my religious appropriate shaver. Ca va non?’

Brown-nosed lieutenant:
‘ Oh bien sure, you shave when your religion agrees with the customary shaving of the legion. Pas de probleme, mon pot. Carry on.’

Or something like that. I’m sure the Monty Python team could come up with something even more funny along these lines. (But I want a cut of the profit, OK?)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tzivi,
now that’s one ‘religious’ shaving thingi I have not come across before. How many of these various religious superstitions are out there, I wonder.
I can just imagine the scene at CP2 in Sidi Bel Abbes at inspection de chambre time.

Legionnaire 2eme Classe:
‘Cheeses, mon lieutenant, the reason I didn’t show up at resamblage is I couldn't find my religious appropriate shaver. Ca va non?’

Brown-nosed lieutenant:
‘ Oh bien sure, you shave when your religion agrees with the customary shaving of the legion. Pas de probleme, mon pot. Carry on.’

Or something like that. I’m sure the Monty Python team could come up with something even more funny along these lines. (But I want a cut of the profit, OK?)
😆💀😆💀😆💀

jonny

Actual or Former Legionnaire
Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Norway
By shaving according to the accepted way of their religion? Or perhaps by killing animals in a slow way (halal), or by numerous other religious hangups that just p*sses me off. OK, don’t bring religion onto this forum. Oh well, I might have sinned a bit myself there. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
By shaving according to the accepted way of their religion? Or perhaps by killing animals in a slow way (halal), or by numerous other religious hangups that just pisses me off. OK, don’t bring religion onto this forum. Oh well, I might have sinned a bit myself there. Sorry.
Big jonny :LOL:

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Best part of the day is when you shave. .am so focused on what am doing, it brings on a zen attitude
Sure, the Legion has the bearded pionniers...but the rest of us are shaved !

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
When you join the Legion you accept their rules, again you are a volunteer no one press gangs anyne to join the FFL . Buzz cut and clean shaven will be order of the day, except in regiment you can get that funny high and tight story. Also if shaving is an issue for religious reasons, what about chow, I assume you're Jewish with the IDF connection? But correct me if I'm wrong :) will you be fine eating non kosher food? As far as I understand Jewdism has a specific statement that in the torah and its teachings that if nothing else is available you can eat things not otherwise permitted...maybe the same with shaving? No electric, we use wrist and hand power.

Surfguy

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
The Legion appears to only recognise catholicism , France is a catholic country , they make the rules not you , if you cant accept that I doubt you`d be accepted/survive , no one will be treated differently regardless of their beliefs.

"Christianity today accounts for between 63-66% of the total population of France with the Roman Catholic accounting for 83% of all Christians while 14% are Protestants and the rest are Jews, Lutherans, and Reformed Catholics. "

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
When you join the Legion you accept their rules, again you are a volunteer no one press gangs anyne to join the FFL . Buzz cut and clean shaven will be order of the day, except in regiment you can get that funny high and tight story. Also if shaving is an issue for religious reasons, what about chow, I assume you're Jewish with the IDF connection? But correct me if I'm wrong :) will you be fine eating non kosher food? As far as I understand Jewdism has a specific statement that in the torah and its teachings that if nothing else is available you can eat things not otherwise permitted...maybe the same with shaving? No electric, we use wrist and hand power.
Yeah shave that head... Bald & sexy baby!!

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
The Legion appears to only recognise catholicism , France is a catholic country , they make the rules not you , if you cant accept that I doubt you`d be accepted/survive , no one will be treated differently regardless of their beliefs.

"Christianity today accounts for between 63-66% of the total population of France with the Roman Catholic accounting for 83% of all Christians while 14% are Protestants and the rest are Jews, Lutherans, and Reformed Catholics. "
How many Aethiests?
100 % new born babies are Aethiests
Are Aethiests the majority or the minority ?
Are Aethiests less worthy than some one religeous ?
Seriously, this planet needs a shake up and we are far too over crowded anyway

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Maybe the
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that statement. Is there a connection between shaving and winning wars?
I honestly cannot understand what the big deal is with wet shaving. It can't be religious as the electric shaver hasn't been around that long.
Just a word of warning however, making a point here on the forum is one thing, making it in Aubagne is completely different.
Maybe The cpl Chef will let him pluck his eye brows.. 😆 Remember seeing a guy using a small battery operated razor in the field but it got very cold and it affected The Batteries. Just laziness in my opinion. Nothing beats a wet shave.

SnafuSmite

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
South Africa
Maybe the

Maybe The cpl Chef will let him pluck his eye brows.. 😆 Remember seeing a guy using a small battery operated razor in the field but it got very cold and it affected The Batteries. Just laziness in my opinion. Nothing beats a wet shave.
Good old straight shave with a straight blade. I got a voucher once for my birthday to get a straight shave at some fancy barber, now that was fun. But a good old BIC razor is good to go!

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Good old straight shave with a straight blade. I got a voucher once for my birthday to get a straight shave at some fancy barber, now that was fun. But a good old BIC razor is good to go!
I use Gillette blue 2...use bic too gets the Job done

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
It is actually shocking How many young guys turn up at The army not knowing How to shave properly... 😆

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Than I. Can say that shaving itsekf is superstition. I wonder how armies around tge world including IDF and others win wars
well if your respirator(gas mask) don´t seal in a chemical attack don´t blame me. although the Russians had a rubber hood like mask.

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Tzvi,

If you can't accept the ways of the FFL simply don't go.

As someone who claims to have instructed SF you should know that.

As a matter of minor interest what did you instruct on ?

60 years ago this April,I was commissioned from the ranks. I then undertook my officer's very arduous commando course.

As a recruit my instructors had been WW2 Cdos.

Original number-RMV202910 Mne- 20/06/1956.

Most viewed threads of the week