a French Foreign Legion Forum

Welcome! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

QUESTION Shirts

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
As some members will be aware I am busy writing a novel about a French legionnaire can any body provide a good picture of the dress shirt back and front and an explanation of the creases and their significance thanks in advance

Le petit caporal

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
North Korea
Standard match box is 3.5 cm wide and 5.3 cm long
Front breast creases are, from the lapel button to the the above breast pockets (that is the base for the others to follow, in line with the breast pocket button...
The left and right creases are ironed at 3.5 cm distance from the middle crease to the top of the pocket
Sleeves, from the lapel, left, you Iron, from the lapel to the tip of the cuff, (there is a pleat on the cuff, fabrication! ) That is left, what ever the arm
Second crease is 5.3 cm apart from the base crease, lapel to the top of the cuff
Back, ... the base is the fabrication pleat / stitchng that traverses
You have to iron over
Second crease is ironed at 5.3 cm distance from the base
The 3 vertical creases are ironed from the middle of the second traversal crease to the arse
the middle crease place, in the middle, of course
To find the middle?
Hold tight the shirt...collar tips are joined and the bottom of the shirt botom are pulled together ... strongly, insist for accuracy
Is where the middle will show where you must iron lightly, in case of error
Left and right of the middle vertical crease are ironed at 3.5 cm from the second horizontal crease to the arse
It is always best to iron wet or damp..use a wet hankerchief (sp)
Iron lightly
Once you are satifisied with the résulta
In turn your shirt
Rub Savon Marseille over your creases and out turn your shirt and iron again, with full force (Steam irons) insist a lot
L.P.C.
Post Schitum
Am just not a pretty boy

Last edited:

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
Hi Trident, I've been looing on the internet. I know that there is a page somewhere with the different measures that should be applied. I can't find it though.
If anyone else wants to try, look for the key words Chemise, militaire and plis.

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
This might be of help ( in case you haven't sen this site yet)

Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
United Kingdom
Thanks yes have had a squint at it lots of good stuff. However I am looking for something more specific, we in the brit army call it Bullshit, creases, boot polish lots of, and type1 elbow grease. I am aware the dress shirt is very much a source of pride and want to convey the process of turning it from of the shelf to a worn item. Thanks in advance

Perun

Super Active Member
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
Croatia
I think I know what you mean, if I find something that could be useful - I'll share.
Not much help but still- post #18 :

Joseph Cosgrove

Legionnaire
Reaction score
Best answers
Home Country
New Zealand
I have to agree with LPC on that, it is to stand out. More or less why the képi blanc came into place, to stand out.